34 replies to this topic

#21 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostMason West, on 17 April 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I actually still have my original copy for the Xbox... I still play it time to time.

Its sad that such old games hold up so much better than most of today's titles.

That is because, like most entertainment, it is now "manufactured to make money" and not "crafted to be entertainment". If that makes sense.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 17 April 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#22 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 17 April 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

That is because, like most entertainment, it is now "manufactured to make money" and not "crafted to be entertainment". If that makes sense.

Yeah, all too well.

I work at GameStop, so I know a lot (all) of the upcoming and recently released AAA games on the market. Unfortunately, aside from a few truly game games (games made for the entertainment of being a game) there are only the 'money makers' being advertised and marketed. Which is really quite sad, and what is worse is the cash grab aspect of these games, I'll use Destiny, Battlefield Hardline, and Call of Duty for examples. Destiny, has no story, seriously, I'm not kidding. The RPs i do in my head when playing MWO are better stories. But, Bungie is going to fix all that, just pay 20 bucks every couple of months to gain access to the REAL GAME WE ALWAYS WANTED YOU TO PLAY, and stuff. On the other side, we have Hardline and CoD, with CoD being the worst offender. The game has a 50 dollar expansion pass, 50 dollars to play four new map pack that will be released throughout the year. To be fair, I bought the 60 dollar Shadow Cat expansion, but I love MWO, and I even if I didn't buy it I would still be able to play on any map or mode I wanted. But CoD requires you to buy the map passes if you want to add another game mode, one that should already be apart of the final shipped product.

Honestly, the cash grabbing makes me, as a gamer who loves playing games, very sad.

On a side note, Bloodborne is one of the games I would say is a game game (Made by gamers, for gamers) there was a lot of love put into the development of that game, and it shows. It may not be for everyone (And unfortunately is a ps4 exclusive) but if you have patience it will definitely leave you satisfied. It doesn't have a season pass, and I have about forty hours logged in and I havent finished everything yet, so I would really recommended it to those who are turned off by all of the cash grabbing.

P.S. I'm really tired from work and school, so there may be grammatical errors. Sorry.

#23 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Sigh... you know, it's kinda hard to live as a sci-fi person when he didn't grow up with Star Wars.

And it's hard to get into SW after all these years. I mean, it's not the most complex story-wise - clean-cut good vs. evil. Even as naive and outdated BattleTech lore is, it still easily surpasses SW in depth, as far as I know. And after sci-fi as a genre matured for all these years...well, the magic isn't there anymore. There's a YouTube video that tells how SW is really more of a samurai movie than sci-fi. So yeah, I'm like "meh".

And you guys have no idea how hyped I am about this instead:

Btw,

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 17 April 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Also - If it has regenerating health I'm out.

You're out. I'm calling it now. :ph34r:

Edited by Helmstif, 17 April 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#24 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

Battlefront is going to be so fantastically meh.
The footage is not gameplay footage, it is engine footage, and probably NOT rendered on a PS4.

Looks visually GREAT don't get me wrong, but the lack of Singleplayer Campaign kills it for me.

#25 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

Well, dunno

Either its "getting older" which often means: "having seen it all already" cusing you to knwo too often what is going to happen next. Or it is simply the problem of how much story and action they try to squeeze into the usual movietime.

I mean cmon, too many stereotypical characters are chosen nowdays, because this frees time for action, not needing to explain a weird, new or difficult type of character. But by this you know already after 30% of a movie how the rest will turn out. This kina makes movies already "boring" inbetween.

Pearl harbour was great, but overlength because it contained a lot time about the characters and their relations. if they would have tried to queeze that into a regular movie lenght, it probably would have contained some stupid flat characters.
SW EP 1 had the same issue. You saw a character for 1 minute and already knew him inside out and you knew what the rest of the plot will happen with that character.
Maybe being older, having seen most different stuff does make this identification easier. Or its just that many movies have changed their style into some easy to process for the brain, action filled nonsense.

Edited by Lily from animove, 21 April 2015 - 03:42 AM.

#26 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostIqfish, on 17 April 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

And it gets even better.

Holy moly.
If they actually gave DICE the time to work on this baby for 2+ years, this game will be a blast.

Well, some fans have been afraid Battlefront would be only a Star Wars themed Battlefield Mod.
They don't have to be afraid anymore, because DICE seemed to avoid all similarities with Battlefield.

Only 40 Players instead of 64 (maybe only on PS4 and X-Box ?).
No conquest mode ( only one way to play each map ?).
AT-AT are not player controlled ( no info about vehicles with more than one player ?).
Less destruction than in Battlefield (can't blast a new door in a wall ?).
Hopefully DICE also stays away from the Squads and the Commander of the Battlefield games just to avoid any similarities ;)

Not that a Star Wars Mod for Battlefield would be a bad idea...

#27 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

OMG I'm so thrilled! I want to see this film, now!!!

#28 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostGoosfraba, on 17 April 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

That's exactly why I don't feel it, I'm getting a "New New Hope" vibe from it. Maybe I should relax and enjoy it for what it is.

And what's wrong with A New Hope? :)

Granted, Empire was the best, but a New Hope is a million times better than a lot of the trash from the second trilogy released in the early 2000s.

Go back and watch the despecialized editions of the original trilogy.

#29 jackswift

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

I have to say I am disappointed with how the game is probably going to turn out. I am reserving full judgement for after the release. From what I've read, looks like more of a Battlefield 3/4 reskin than the SW: Battlefront games that I spent days playing.

One of the more memorable things was the voices for the AI's. They were hilarious in SWBF2. Several times I have heard playing as the Empire, one guy would say, "Kill the rebel!" and another would instantly follow that up with, "NO! Kill the Wookie!!"

And the planetary conquest mode was amazing!! Without a single player campaign or at the very least Instant Action matches that are single player, this game will be lack luster to me. And if they don't include a way to play LAN matches with a friend on the same side with half decent bots (especially the Tatooine hero mode!) I will hold onto my monies. Chances are I probably won't play online if it has any of the single player/LAN capabilities of the 2nd one. It was hilarious to see the AI's always staring at you from across the map even as they shot and killed someone else!

#30 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Bloodbourne made by gamers for gamers? Its made by Japanese for a very hard core group, a company that doesn't compromise in their vision and what they believe in. (Their previous works, Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Chromehounds and the entire Armored Core series.) Almost all their works have a strong, dark narrative, except for Chromehounds which is basically a game made for community warfare.

[color=#959595]On a side note, Bloodborne is one of the games I would say is a game game (Made by gamers, for gamers) there was a lot of love put into the development of that game, and it shows. It may not be for everyone (And unfortunately is a ps4 exclusive) but if you have patience it will definitely leave you satisfied. It doesn't have a season pass, and I have about forty hours logged in and I havent finished everything yet, so I would really recommended it to those who are turned off by all of the cash grabbing.
[/color]

Edited by Anjian, 24 April 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#31 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 25 April 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

Am I the only one who kept thinking Han needed a wheelchair. He must be the leader of the Senior Smugglers gang by now.

You are way to negative. With this attitude, the movie will never please you

#32 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 24 April 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

And what's wrong with A New Hope? :)

Granted, Empire was the best, but a New Hope is a million times better than a lot of the trash from the second trilogy released in the early 2000s.

Go back and watch the despecialized editions of the original trilogy.

Nothing, but I've seen it a million times already. :)

Edited by Goosfraba, 02 May 2015 - 09:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users