Anti Mech Mines?

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Anti Mech Mines (74 member(s) have cast votes)

good to include?

1. Yes (51 votes [68.92%])

Percentage of vote: 68.92%

2. No (23 votes [31.08%])

Percentage of vote: 31.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Athieros

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

good idea or stupid?

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

Mines are absolutely a thing in Battletech. I'd like to see a mine laying consumable, personally.

#3 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

I personally can't find any anti-mech mine rules that are tied to mechs, only tied to infantry. Which infantry in mechwarrior online isn't a thing from what I can see.

#4 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostAstarot, on 17 April 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

I personally can't find any anti-mech mine rules that are tied to mechs, only tied to infantry. Which infantry in mechwarrior online isn't a thing from what I can see.

Not "anti mech" mines, just mines. Previous games had mine layers (Mech Commander games), that's good enough for me.

#5 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 17 April 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Not "anti mech" mines, just mines. Previous games had mine layers (Mech Commander games), that's good enough for me.

which still isn't mech, and from what I can see. Which requires a new vehicle type to be designed into the game....

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

Ooooor, they could add a consumable acting as a small mech deployable minefield, which is something that could happen vs. Something that won't happen.

There are mines that damage mechs. Our lack of other vehicles doesn't rule out use of such things, we just need a very small amount of creativity.

#7 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

As long as only light mechs could deploy them.

#8 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostAstarot, on 17 April 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vibrabomb

Anti-mech mine. Could be set to go off with the vibrations of the weight type of mech. You can clear a minefield with LRMS, but it is something I would love to see in CW. One way to stop the bloody Zerg Rush.

Have it be 4 types.

#9 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

sorry guys, but thats a really bad idea ...

People allready complain about artillery and air strikes - for which people need to aim at a certain area and need to have some sense for timing.

Mines would be very similar only without the need for good timing. Also with the current map's which have a lot bottlenecks its not really hard to guess where those mines would be used most often - which would be really fustrating - espeacially for new players who are not really aware of that. And since the game is fustrating enough in many aspects and not exactly self explaining for new players ... well, do we really need to add another thing to the game which scares people away?

Also - here are some questions which needs to be answered regarding mines before there is any further discussion:

1. should mines be visible? espeacially should they be visible in thermal or nightvision? Should there be some requirement to detect them like BAP, UAV? Seriously - the very nature of a mine is to be invisible and thus surprise an enemie.

2. should mines be destroyable? please consider that destroyable mines would require people to fire at them, espeacially invisble mines would lead to an increase of lightshows (cause that would be the only effective way to destroy mines) which would cause people to get hit by more friendly fire.

3. how long should mines remain active?

4. what should a player do in order to deploy mines? Just deploy them like an Airstrike? stand still in the area where they should be exposed for a certain time?

Edited by MilesTeg1982, 17 April 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#10 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

Ever seen a scorpion minelayer?

http://de.wikipedia....Skorpion_04.JPG

looks close to the catapults misslepods

Would be an idea against respawnkilling...

#11 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Dear god please, no, no, no, no, no, a thousand times NO.

I want MECH on MECH combat, not entrenched consumable warfare. Stop trying to add gimmicks or recreating war on the game I want to enjoy.

#12 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

Respawn killing isn´t really joy - on both sides its just grinding for creds

#13 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

Then stop using light Rushes. Either people change the tactics in CW or they will put in the 1/1/1/1 rule that works great in PUGS *Sarcasm*, but is stupid in CW.

Either they need to add more objectives or more items that change the tactical combat.

I would suggest limiting the mines to CW only. Would make a lot of sense for PREPARED defenses. Since in both TT and lore it was pretty much par for the course that way.

#14 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

There could be a consumable or some FASCAM from LRMs. I know one place that just calls for a spread of FASCAM, C3 or the crows nest on frozen city.

Mines are all about restricting movement of the other team.

Now on the other side, watch what you wish for.

#15 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

Vibrabombs would be a great addition to the game. The rules for destruction should follow sarnas weighted triggering, its the rock paper scissors of mech weight classes.

#16 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

Only if mines are neutral and explode no matter which team steps on it. Also deployment takes time, can't be placed on roads and unit must stand still to deploy

#17 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

In CW? Yes, definitely.

As a map feature? Sure, wouldn't mind,

In all assault games? Sure, that'd be cool.

As a consumable? As long is there is a minesweeping item that can be used or a mine detector, sure.

#18 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

rockets creating minefields were mentioned in one of the books about aidan pryde

#19 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

View PostDaynar, on 17 April 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vibrabomb

Anti-mech mine. Could be set to go off with the vibrations of the weight type of mech. You can clear a minefield with LRMS, but it is something I would love to see in CW. One way to stop the bloody Zerg Rush.

Have it be 4 types.

That not what I said, what I said was that I scanned through the books, and the only rules I can find for PLACING mines are either A tied to a non-mech based unit IE mainly infantry, or are already preplaced on the map by said person before the match even starts. I did NOT say there was no such thing as anti-mech mines.

however, I can look again with the books I do have. Maybe I over looked something.

Edited by Astarot, 18 April 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#20 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

In principle it sounds really interesting. But I feel like it does not agree with the game. I would love to see elementals, infantry, tanks and actual artillery units as well. It would make the game a whole lot more complicated though and I feel like especially something like mines have the chance of completely ruining your match without you being able to do anything about it.

What I think would be great is a separate game mode which allows for more things like artillery strikes, mines or maybe infantry support. Then players could chose themselves whether they want it in their game or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users