Stop Hating On The Light Mech Just Because You Cant Land A Hit! Nerf Notes Here:

35 replies to this topic

#21 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 April 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

And as someone who has played the Firestarter a lot... that thing does tank damage like nobody's business. If you put a STD280 engine on it, just for fun, you're basically invulnerable. It's the MWO equivalent of IDDQD cheats. Not a lot of firepower, but you can take ten times the amount of damage other light mechs can take. If you're running the game on Very High graphics, you can basically see the disappointment in people's eyes when they finally manage to take out your FS9's side torso, while you just trollololol away to safety.

Okay, I'm curious, how did you fit a STD 280 in and still have more than 3 center/torso-mounted ML to plink away with?

Edited by Telmasa, 18 April 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#22 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 18 April 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

Okay, I'm curious, how did you fit a STD 280 in and still have more than 3 center/torso-mounted ML to plink away with?

This?

That actually seems like it'd be kinda fun(ny). 24dmg over .675s beam duration and 148.5m range

Edited by One Medic Army, 18 April 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#23 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 18 April 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostOne Medic Army, on 18 April 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

This?
That actually seems like it'd be kinda fun(ny). 24dmg over .675s beam duration and 148.5m range

Yeah, that's basically it. Actually, I got rid of the jump jet and replaced one small laser with TAG just to farm some C-bills, but 8 small lasers and one jump jet is better. And even when they take your second side torso, you still have two small lasers to troll with. Pew pew.

It doesn't have good DPS, but I would argue that it's the hardest to kill light mech in the game, which lets you just run through the enemy formation and pick off wounded targets, scoring some easy kills.

#24 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 April 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

Yeah, that's basically it. Actually, I got rid of the jump jet and replaced one small laser with TAG just to farm some C-bills, but 8 small lasers and one jump jet is better. And even when they take your second side torso, you still have two small lasers to troll with. Pew pew.

It doesn't have good DPS, but I would argue that it's the hardest to kill light mech in the game, which lets you just run through the enemy formation and pick off wounded targets, scoring some easy kills.

Certainly better than the same thing done with a Spider. Heck, still has more firepower than most XL spiders I come across.

I think I'm totally borrowing that build when I work on my other 2 frustraters btw.

Edited by One Medic Army, 18 April 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#25 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 April 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'd give This a try, too. You save a ton and a half while only dropping 10 engine rating, leaving room for DHS or more JJs.

#26 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostRampancyTW, on 18 April 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

I'd give This a try, too. You save a ton and a half while only dropping 10 engine rating, leaving room for DHS or more JJs.

Use the K for small laser boating. More arm lasers, and the quirks are better for it (range and duration 10%).

#27 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 18 April 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

Use the K for small laser boating. More arm lasers, and the quirks are better for it (range and duration 10%).

It's a tough choice, I think. With only 10 or 11 heatsinks, you're going to run hot in an extended engagement. And the 10% heat reduction of the FS9-A is useful for staying in the fight. Ultimately it depends on how you play it, but I've found the heat to be a bigger challenge than the range.

#28 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

Mass MG/Flamer spammage has pretty little to do with the durability of light mechs in normal games (Flamers don't even appear in normal games outside of rare Adders, MGs aren't that great either). I also don't see all 24 mechs firing simultaneously very often (I don't recall the last time I've seen that?).

Right now I'm afraid of people looking for any far-fetched excuse they can find to call lights overpowered.
Again, while not saying nobody has problems, I think a great many people complaining just can't shoot worth a damn and use this as an excuse because nobody likes to admit their aim is suck.

Back in.... June? July? They reduced the server-client polling rate. Bad connections with some packet loss could then theoretically desync for longer periods of time (though still fractions of a second). If this was the case, I'd imagine those players would experience jitter or rubberbanding as well. In that case, I'd expect bad hitreg on small targets

But... If there was a problem as widespread as people make it out to be, I think you'd see a LOT more lights in the queue. God knows, when I'm in my FS9-E, I die really fast. Otherwise, I'd chill grind with that bad boy instead of my Urbie.

#29 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 April 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

It's a tough choice, I think. With only 10 or 11 heatsinks, you're going to run hot in an extended engagement. And the 10% heat reduction of the FS9-A is useful for staying in the fight. Ultimately it depends on how you play it, but I've found the heat to be a bigger challenge than the range.

I was thinking more of the -10% laser duration than the additional range. Between that and the arm hard points you ought to be able to concentrate your damage better. Then again, if you don't need that and can concentrate your damage anyway, the -10% heat will probably be better.

#30 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 April 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

But... If there was a problem as widespread as people make it out to be, I think you'd see a LOT more lights in the queue. God knows, when I'm in my FS9-E, I die really fast. Otherwise, I'd chill grind with that bad boy instead of my Urbie.

A phenomenon with most mechs I've seen is that my enemy using them makes the mech take out my hitboxes in 1-2 shots and tank huge amounts of damage, but when I use that mech I do average or even get rekt a bit. Perspective is a funny thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by FupDup, 18 April 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#31 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 18 April 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

The range difference between 7.5% and 10% is pretty negligible, the heat makes a big difference, though. Also, if you're doing your best mini-Atlas impression there's a good chance of losing an arm in any given match.

#32 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

A phenomenon with most mechs I've seen is that my enemy using them makes the mech take out my hitboxes in 1-2 shots and tank huge amounts of damage, but when I use that mech I do average or even get rekt a bit. Perspective is a funny thing. :rolleyes:

Indeed. Which is why I figure there's nothing wrong with the mech itself.

If the mech itself was broken, you'd see the light queue growing steadily not remaining the least played class (post Urbie craze notwithstanding). The firestarter is very likely the best light, and is quite tanky for the same reason the Urbie is: narrow torso hitboxes allow it to easily spread damage, also arms good for catching shots. But if it where actually invincible?

Less people run lights overall right now then used to run 3L's back in the pre HSR days. I clearly remember lagshields :)

#33 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I don't blame Light 'Mech, if I see, that I've missed him due to my own fault. But you just can't miss in some situations - like shotting at almost stationary 'Mech from close range. And it's just feels like cheating, when you put one Alpha, another Alpha, third Alpha - NOTHING HAPPENS! Armor becomes barely yellow. It's really strange to see the game, where gameplay of entire class is based completely on unintended mechanics - i.e. cheating.

What I've noticed, is that HSR was completely turned off several months ago. Now you have to lead Light manually - even if you're firing at it via AC/2 from 2 meters! The problem is in fact, that leading amount is very unstable: sometimes I lead Light and see he takes damage, but sometimes I lead him and don't see any damage, which forces me to adjust leading distance. But sometimes... Lights are becoming simply invulnerable and don't take any damage at all. In any cases.

P.S. My ping is stable.

Edited by MrMadguy, 18 April 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#34 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

The Space Pope gets that with all types of mechs though.

He had one Stormcrow today that ate Guass ammo and a Grasshopper that survived 15 seconds of concentrated accurate fire from four assault mechs at close range.

Ergo, sometimes hit reg is great with low and stable ping, while other times the game just goes "lol nope" and decides not to register damage. The offenders are for the Space Pope not one particular mech or chassis but really any mech in the game.

With that being said, most of the time, the Space Pope finds his hit reg is fine and even sniping light mechs is not hard.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 18 April 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#35 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:37 AM

However tho it only seems too be certain light mechs. The ones on my head are Raven , firestarter and Spider the rest I don't seem too have a issue with even with my high ping. But when they start too exploit the bunny hop jump jetting glitch that is when it gets annoying, many times had rounds just vanish on the mech or went straight through it out the back.

#36 Jacobei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationElite Light Rangers 5

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostThe True Space Pope, on 18 April 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

The Space Pope gets that with all types of mechs though.

He had one Stormcrow today that ate Guass ammo and a Grasshopper that survived 15 seconds of concentrated accurate fire from four assault mechs at close range.

Ergo, sometimes hit reg is great with low and stable ping, while other times the game just goes "lol nope" and decides not to register damage. The offenders are for the Space Pope not one particular mech or chassis but really any mech in the game.

With that being said, most of the time, the Space Pope finds his hit reg is fine and even sniping light mechs is not hard.

The Space Pope Speaks the Truth!!!

Also his thread as only created for fun to get some smiles with the old Champ ducking and dodging some big blows.

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users