6 replies to this topic

#1 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

Just wondering what the verdict would be on selling 3d printed mwo models that have been painted? I have been watching a few really professional designers on here with some pretty amazing work, most of you know the guys I refer to. There are many of us waiting with drooling open mouths to get our hands on these models, but the designers are taking their time to do things properly and legally, which is what one would expect.

That being said, I have been seeing a lot more of people posting sales on ebay, facebook groups and other forums, of painted mwo models they have 3d printed, stating that they are selling the paint job (or a piece of their collection), not the model itself therefore it is legal, which seems like a kind of slap in the face of those who are doing things properly.

Are those sales legal at all? Is it wrong for me to feel like calling these scammers out when I see their posts?

Also, if it IS a legal sale, then dammit Sentinel, get priming and sell that grey paintjob!!

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

You can't sell any assets from MWO. Not for production price and not for donation. You can make those models but only for yourself. Everything else is a violation of the terms of use.

3. License. Subject to all of the terms, conditions, restrictions and other provisions of this Agreement, we grant to you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license only to internally use the PGI Offerings for non-commercial purposes. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from the PGI Offerings without our prior, written consent. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by us and, if applicable, our licensors.

So those ebay and facebooks sales are not legal.

If you were sending them a model you printed in 3D and they painted it, it would be fine. The way they do it now is not and they just try to get away with wordplay.

Edited by Egomane, 19 April 2015 - 09:23 PM.

#3 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

Is there anyone who actually has permission to sell printed models from MWO? From what I have read, only Topps has rights to sell models/toys?

#4 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

I wish... Pgi has the rights only for everything simulated like this video game. Topps, owns the rights to anything any everything physical. Be it that fact, if pgi even wanted to sell the mwo assets on their own, they would be stepping on topp's toes, the same if they allowed anyone to publicly sell the mwo assets as their own. Such activity would quite possibly loose topp's blessing on the subjuct at this point in time.

Edited by Mech42Ace, 20 April 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#5 DJFrost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:13 PM

Again, what I thought. I have an idiot on a battletech trade and sell group on facebook selling painted mwo miniatures, saying that because he is selling an item from a personal collection it is legal. Not really sure it is lol. Honestly think it is a slap in the face of those who are going the proper route....

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

I don't think you can even print up models and give them away legally, paint job or no.

You could make a legitimate business of people sending you their models and painting those. But anything beyond that isn't going to work.

If the guy selling the painting was buying the models, painting them, then reselling, that would be ok too. But my guess is he's printing them himself?

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostEgomane, on 19 April 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

You can't sell any assets from MWO. Not for production price and not for donation. You can make those models but only for yourself. Everything else is a violation of the terms of use.

So those ebay and facebooks sales are not legal.

If you were sending them a model you printed in 3D and they painted it, it would be fine. The way they do it now is not and they just try to get away with wordplay.

true, however, you can send someone the material and let them make you for free and he resends them. because then, its not for money. He could also "keep" the material thats too much. But anythign around that stuff involving any kind of payment is off from the private chart and therefore illegal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users