Dealing With Low Fps, High Lag, And No Support

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

I've noticed that when I'm dealing with high latency and low fps, if I wind up with five or more enemy mechs hitting me at once, my fps and latency take a much worse hit than when my lag and fps were moderately acceptable.

The past few days, I've developed a new strategy: the moment I start taking fire from more than 3 people at once, I get up and make myself a cup of tea. That way I'm not there to hear / read my teammate telling me how terrible I am and how vile and wrong I've been for daring to drop into a PuG with them.

Is there a way to get better in this situation, instead of just giving up? I'd LIKE for my Atlas to be able to take on 7 enemy mechs at once, unsupported, since it seems like that's what's going to happen anyways.

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 23 April 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

Going to move this one over to Guides & Strategies... might get a bit more help over there.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

As an assualt mech myself, I've found the best way to take out multipule mechs is to fight em one at a time.

Seriously, it works. On assualt matches, I've told the team we were gonna hit the base to draw em out, only to find everyone abandoned me at the first turret to go find kills. Once I started capping the base, mechs would trickle in. I faced six mechs, mostly 2v1 or 1v1, got Four solo kills and later a kill most damage dealt. Another way to do this on non assualt maps would be to peek around a choke point and pull back into a narrow funnel, like the cave in Forest Map thingy.

But that's just one problem.

Now for the high latency, well, not much you can do if the game is teleporting you about or when everyone else stops moving, but with low FPS, I like one hit weapons. Game still gives you the hit if'n you hit them, so make sure it hurts with ballistics or PPCs.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

Edited by Leone, 23 April 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

well having very low fps till i upgrade my pc (i hope this weekend) i play light mechs to scout, to capture points (i play conquest only) and to cover others with ecm. assaults are bad for very low fps imo, you take too much tonnes from your team, just a big target and can do nothing

i also turned off my team chat long ago

as for low fps weapons, it depends how low your fps... streaks are surprisingly horrible, and lurms are not great either if your fps is really very low, you simply cannot get the locks, lasers in chain fire and especially machine guns are great though, at least at getting assists (i once got 5 assists with 2 damage and my assists per damage record is 3 assists for 1 damage point (: ). anyway capturing points is the greatest help which you can do with so low fps, if you capture 2-3 enemy points it can win the game already

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 23 April 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#5 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:48 AM

Hi, I've solved my sudden death low fps, posted a lot screenshots and finding in this thread, hope it helps. http://mwomercs.com/...me-rate-solved/

#6 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:59 AM

View PostIaldabaoth, on 23 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

I've noticed that when I'm dealing with high latency and low fps, if I wind up with five or more enemy mechs hitting me at once, my fps and latency take a much worse hit than when my lag and fps were moderately acceptable.

The past few days, I've developed a new strategy: the moment I start taking fire from more than 3 people at once, I get up and make myself a cup of tea. That way I'm not there to hear / read my teammate telling me how terrible I am and how vile and wrong I've been for daring to drop into a PuG with them.

Is there a way to get better in this situation, instead of just giving up? I'd LIKE for my Atlas to be able to take on 7 enemy mechs at once, unsupported, since it seems like that's what's going to happen anyways.

I used to have a frame rate of 8-14 untill I installed Razer Cortex http://www.razerzone...ex/game-booster and not I run at around 40-50 Frames per second.. I was going to quit the game until I found this great program that takes every other task out of your mem and makes it so the things that run are ONLY for your game..

I suggest you check this out as it saved my game and made me want to play more..

Triskin
{1n8s}

#7 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:28 AM

I play with 300-400ms, although with good fps.

My rule is don't poke. People see you faster, and they hit you faster. Fighting out in the open can help a lot (just be sure to have friends around). And be VERY mindful of terrains and other mechs--if you swoop by close to them (no need to touch them--anywhere within 20 meters is enough), you will start rubberbanding like crazy and then get killed.

#8 Starbadger

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 69 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear the community's been giving you crap! It's unfortunate that online gaming and vitriol seem to go hand in hand. Try to stay positive and remember the good people more than the douchebags. :)

Unfortunately, the Atlas in particular tends to draw a lot of fire. If you're hoping to mitigate the number of 'mechs targeting you at once you might try something a little smaller and less recognizable. The Highlander, Banshee and Battlemaster come to mind as lesser-known boxy, visually ambiguous mechs that might not be targeted and identified quite as readily.

If you're willing to try an entirely different weightclass then you might give a light or medium 'mech with large pulse lasers a go. They've got a couple of lag-friendly qualities like short time-on-target, hitscan, infinite ammo and a short recycle. Missing isn't a big deal, they don't draw as much attention as an AC and in a fast chassis with high hardpoints (e.g. Raven, Blackjack 1X) you can duck back behind cover or relocate whenever you want.

#9 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

i have a 5 year old quadcore w/8GB RAM and a GTX 550TI and although i don't get great framerates i do get decent framerates if i reboot before i play and have nothing running in the background. firefox actually makes me lose big framerate too so make sure you literally have nothing running except MWO.

video settings i set everything to low/off except textures to high - i used to play with textures on low but it doesn't seem to make a diff if they'r on high so i leave it.

#10 Spungie

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'd go for medium textures at most. I know it looks horrible in the mech bay, but a 1 gig card can't really handle it when things get exciting. Back in the 8v8 days it was okay. So many custom textures and mechs now. Also, try switching to dx9 if you still get low FPS.

#11 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

honestly i went through each level of textures, and i found that anything below high looked identically crappy so if you don't go high textures you might as well go low and scrape out the extra half fps out of it lol

#12 Spungie

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

Ha I thought u were the OP. I was giving you advice you never asked for xD. Yeah there's a huge jump between medium and high quality textures.

#13 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostTriskin, on 27 April 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

... installed Razer Cortex http://www.razerzone...ex/game-booster ...

I tried that software, lagged my connection, more like unstable connection.
So, even worse that my normal ping range is around 280-310ms stable, becomes 280-500ms up and down.

#14 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 06 July 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

I tried that software, lagged my connection, more like unstable connection.
So, even worse that my normal ping range is around 280-310ms stable, becomes 280-500ms up and down.

Then you did something wrong.. I have no problems once I use this.. I will post my review on the software for you but hey something went wrong with it on your side... All the program does is only run things that are required to run the game and does not run anything in the background...

#15 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

yeah, i tested it again, and it seems the jitter was caused by my laptop "talking" with the internet (duh).,.,

although there is another thing (i dunno, i guess i really like constantly trying to break things) that whenever the boost is activated (yes i clicked it manually just as i queue the match), it changes my control panel settings, specifically the windows update (the windows update via control panel, and the windows update service via administrative tools - services) and i'm not fond of that.

that being said, i saw a slight fps improvement,., overall not a bad software i think,..,

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 06 July 2015 - 10:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users