R9 290 Or Gtx 970 With 4770K Intel I7

28 replies to this topic

#21 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I would recommend a gtx 970. My MSI Gaming 4G runs quiet. Stupidly quiet (in a fantastic way). Something I never knew could affect my gaming experience and comfort when I migrated away from my XFX Radeon 6970 leafblower.

My 970 never gets over 71c, even overclocked to 1400 mhz and 7800 mhz memory running 3 displays at 5780x1080 (min fps with user.cfg tweaks etc is around 41-44 fps) with an overclocked 4690k. It is one of the quietest things in my case.

The GeForce Experience is much better than Catalyst Control Center. My AMD Eyefinity setup was a pain in the rear and would often have to reset and reorganize my monitors or reboot my machine to reset the monitors. I just plugged in my monitors and Surround came up right away. No going into the NVCP, like I would have to do for the AMD CCC for eyefinity.

I was first introduced to GeForce Experience on my Lenovo 510P laptop (came with dual geforce 750m SLI), and decided to try it on desktop card for the first time. I don't regret it.

Overall between quiet, comfort and ease of use, even if the R290 was ahead by 2-3 fps, I would probably make the same selection again.

Its just your reference. Both cards have plenty of graphic firepower, I just found my gaming experience is more comfortable and enjoyable with my GTX right now.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostBullseye69, on 23 April 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

So I have a decent Intel I7 4770K stock clocked with 8gig Gskill 2133mhz ram, 250gig SSD, 60gig SSD, 1 terbyte Seagate Mechanical, 500 Gig WD mechanical , with a 24 inch Samsung monitor. My weak link is the R9 270X XFX graphics card I have. I am thinking of going either R9 290 but there is only one rated Direct x 12 now or a Nvidia GTX 970 card.

So can anyone that owns the 290 or the 970 give me some feedback on what there system can run MWO at I would like to be able to turn up the visual to high on all fronts since the 4770K has the power and I can always over clock it if I need to.

Please anyone give me your feed back.

Best brand of the cards also please

:blink: :blink:

I'm running a 4gb R9 270X, and only getting a slight graphical hiccup on the first CW match drop of the night.... Other than that, it game runs so beautifully at 1080p on a 42" flat screen...

For the record, I'm running the fallowing:

FX-8320
8Gb 1866 ram
1 TB HD Blue
R9 270X 4GB card by Asus

By the way, nothing is over clocked...

#23 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

The question is simple. Do you like it hot?

#24 SilentShart

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

I run a Sapphire 290 vapor x tricool, it is quiet and runs cool. I have everything turned up to max and the results are amazing. Oh and the other guy that posted it runs at 90C+ that is for the stock cards when they first came out. The after market GPU coolers make it alot cooler and quieter. Mine runs at about 35% fan speed at 60C and thats max load. The fans run at 20% idle and throttle up when the card starts to warm up. the best part of the card is you can adjust the fans to whatever settings you want. They run great right out of the box. After playing with the fan settings, its barely noticeable at 50% fan rpm. Now that the prices have dropped i would recommend it. I was worried about the drivers but havent had any problems. Guess im lucky in that regard. If you wait for june to buy a new AMD GPU dont go bleeding edge. The prices will be dropping even more on the last gen cards and you will definitely find a deal then.

#25 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

Get some Vapor-X Video Card - they run amazingly cool and quite and as others already wrote - the CPU is also very very urgent for the MWO Performance and heavy FPS drops come usualy from the CPU.

#26 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostGumon Choji, on 23 April 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

However Russ said in his last town hall that he would not continue to get updates to the Cry engine due to keeping backwards comparability. This is a way of saying that there is no intention to support 12 or mantle at this moment.

Seriously? Backwards Compatibility with what, pre-DX11 hardware?

I second waiting for the new AMD cards, but out of the 2 choices you laid out, I'd go with the 290x. Can't attest to its upper limits as mwo hits the cpu wall before the GPU hits its wall, which is a problem that a newer version of CryEngine would fix :angry:

I didn't know the 970 was still up for consideration after Nvidia's scandal with it broke, though that's more of a principle issue than a practical issue, at least as far as MWO is concerned.

#27 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the advice all I will hold on a purchase since i just forked over for the pack 2 but will do something when the 300 series hit either one of them or a nvidia card. I will also purchase a evo 12 cooler and crank the cpu up another 500 to 600 mhz since the is a z87 gigabyte OC Board it can handle it but really just wanted enought gpu power ti run it high at 1900 res with constant frames.

Though if i see a really good deal on the saphirre 290 ueif or a good deal on 970GtX i might bite. I am all the time looking on the open box stuff from the egg.

#28 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

I'm at work so, no log files :P
but
16GB 1333 ram
msi Twin frozr 7850
250 gb SSD

Here are a couple of notes, first off, I run roughly 75-80 fps, occasionally it will drop a bit, maybe down to 60 ish when in a big brawl or in the stupid mech lab. One of the things I have found that affects all of this is your in game graphics settings, sometimes, it is simply not the best thing to have everything on high, go look on some of the twitch streams for some of the top players, most of them have their vid settings up for all to see. I certainly do not have everything maxed out, but get killer frames, good draw distance and things like v-sync are most assuredly turned off. Additionally, find some good user config settings, they are pretty limited now but can drastically change things for you, eliminate cockpit glass, and view from the cockpit, these things can make the game more enjoyable and are certainly fine in the TOS as well.

I'm currently building a dual 290x mean mother, mostly just because I want a hot rod, but I don't think it is going to play the game much better then my rig now, unless i go 1440p or 4k. The Red cards hit that mark way better, and do a much better job then green cards in that particular area, so, if your willing to invest in a new monitor (say a ROG swift 144hz) monitor then you should likely go with red, otherwise the advantage is a bit lost, and my not gain you the ground you desire, many monitors are only 60Hz, thus limiting (no matter what your card or CPU are doing) you to a true 60 FPS, this is not a one stop solution, and many variables need to be looked at, your computer may be running at 100fps, but are you seeing 100fps :P darn good question :)

#29 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

I have an r9 290 vapor-X. I got it for $280 when the gtx970 craze just started. I run 1300, 1600 for games that actually need it but mwo rarely taxes my card enough to get me over 800 mhz core. (I run vsync) I lock at 60fps constantly and rarely, if ever do I have drops. Most recent testing showed my min fps in mwo as 47. But if you find a good price on 970 get it. Rarely do 290s clock as well as mine and you really need my clocks to beat the 970.The vapor X 290 is really cool as well just in case you find a good deal on one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users