The Russian Word Filter Needs Some Fixing

5 replies to this topic

#1 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

right now the filter censors parts of such pretty common and innocent words as:

{censored}оже (like) and other words with that syllable пox [written with a mix of cyrillic and latin to avoid the filter] like {censored}удеть (to grow thin) etc

{censored}одить (to find) and other words with that syllable нax like {censored}рапом (unceremoniously)

i would suggest to allow these syllables when they are not used separately but as parts of any other word except {censored}уй (the first syllable, 'i don't give a ****') and {censored}уй (the second one '**** off') or just remove them altogether, not like this word filter is not lacking and there is not a plenty of obscene words which can pass it

if i find other annoying examples i will post them here as well

#2 Biruke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationMsk, RF, Terra

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

It's not fixable at the moment. Keep calm and carry on.

#3 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

yet another example (especially ridiculous)

{censored}м - game phonetically written with cyrillic, a popular netspeak
what's ridiculous, the word which is censored here, гeй, it's gay written with cyrillic, means gay and is just as much filthy language as in english... but it's not censored in english

View PostBiruke, on 24 April 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

It's not fixable at the moment. Keep calm and carry on.

what. obviously forum moderators cannot fix it, for the admins it should be easy to fix the filter list

#4 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

yet other two examples
анал - means anаl, part of such words as канал - channel, ави{censored}ет - air strike, {censored}ог - analog etc
note, it's not censored itself but only as a part of the second and third words... i.e. when any letter goes after it, in the second case it also took a vowel which preceded it. the reason for this is out of my ability to understand, some regexp madskillz i suppose

епт - something like damn, a softer version of еб (which isn't censored... thankfully, or we couldn't say для тебя - for you), it's a rarer syllable, still happens in words like р{censored}илия - reptile or н{censored}ун - neptune etc, yet again it's not censored itself but as a part of harmless words

gosh, just make that only the whole words were censored, not as parts of other words

that filter seriously disrupts the russian forum

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 07 May 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#5 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

This is something we tried to tackle a little while ago, and we were able to make some small measure of progress.

Unfortunately, the filter mechanism used by the forum software we use isn't particularly comprehensive or useful in these kinds of cases, and requires a lot more work/time than you might expect for it to function as desired. At this time I'm not even sure we can make the necessary fixes to prevent the kind of stuff you outlined (under the current forum software).

Definitely planning to resolve these problems in the future one way or another, but myself and the other staff with admin powers don't have the time right now.

#6 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 May 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

yet another example (especially ridiculous)

{censored}м - game phonetically written with cyrillic, a popular netspeak
what's ridiculous, the word which is censored here, гeй, it's gay written with cyrillic, means gay and is just as much filthy language as in english... but it's not censored in english

what. obviously forum moderators cannot fix it, for the admins it should be easy to fix the filter list

Gay has two meanings in English.

The modern and wrong one which is slang for a homosexual, its rarely used to denote lesbians, but is becoming more generic.

Then there is the correct meaning which simply means carefree bright showy etc which is rapidly falling out of favour, but why its not sensored

Edited by Cathy, 08 May 2015 - 03:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users