Game Looks Bad On New Monitor

7 replies to this topic

#1 GuyFleegman

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

So I got a new monitor yesterday in preparation for building a second computer for the kids. To test it out, I hooked it up to my existing computer. Much to my surprise I found that MWO looks pretty bad on the new monitor. It looks pretty much the same until I start moving my mech in a match. When I move the environment looks blurred and washed out. I also get lots of black ghosting around the edges of mechs and walls/buildings etc. I'm shocked that my 6 year old dell monitor looks so much better. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this because otherwise I'll probably return the monitor. Here are the monitor details:

Old Monitor: Dell S2309W (specs: http://www.pcworld.c...cd-monitor.html)
New Monitor: Asus VS2407h-p (specs: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236174)

I was able to reduce the black edge bluring a fair amount by turning on the Motion Blur setting in MWO to high (previously I've always had it Off). Since the new monitor has a faster response time (I know the manufacturers can manipulate this number a bit) I thought things could only get sharper. Thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

Having to turn on motion blur seems like a crummy solution that you shouldn't have to compromise on. Does it only look bad with MWO? You may just have a busted panel.

Hardware troubleshooting:
- calibration?
- color settings?
- brightness/contrast?
- try a different video connection?
- test the monitor on a different computer?

Software troubleshooting:
- is your desktop resolution set at the maximum panel resolution?
- latest video drivers?
- AMD/nvidia control panel settings to compensate for color/contrast/gamma?

MWO troubleshooting:
- is your resolution set at the maximum panel resolution?
- does anti-aliasing make a difference?
- try putting all graphic settings on low and incrementally increasing them, see if that makes a difference.
- repair tool?
- may just be that MWO doesn't look that good on a better monitor. :P

Edited by process, 24 April 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#3 -Wulf-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe last =FD= Dropship

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

Well my first question is what kind of hardware IE graphics card is it pluged into. Some of the older GPU cards say they will support 1920x1080 however they really can only support 1600x1028.

Also whats the refresh on the new monitor an older gpu may have trouble supporting faster refresh rates as well.

Edited by Falkwulf, 24 April 2015 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostFalkwulf, on 24 April 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Well my first question is what kind of hardware IE graphics card is it pluged into. Some of the older GPU cards say they will support 1920x1080 however they really can only support 1600x1028.

Also whats the refresh on the new monitor an older gpu may have trouble supporting faster refresh rates as well.

Looking @ Links in the OP, Both Monitors (Old And New) are Full HD (AKA 1080P/1920x1080). as for Refresh Rates, Old is 60Hz, Apparently Looking on the Asus Website for the new one, Closest thing I could find is the Signal Frequency is 30~80 KHz(H)/ 55~75 Hz(V) for Both Analog & Digital, Going off that & a Thread I Found on Toms Hardware i'd say it's a Minimum 55Hz Maximum 75Hz Monitor.
https://www.asus.com...specifications/
http://www.tomshardw...ood-gaming.html

#5 GuyFleegman

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, both monitors are very similar (except the Dell is 6 years old) except for the response time where the new one says 2ms (grey to grey) and the Dell just says 5ms. I've tested both monitors on 2 different computers running MWO. The old Dell looks great on both and the new Asus looks fine until I start moving. Pretty weird.

I'm leaning towards returning it to Amazon and getting the #2 most popular monitor there:

http://www.amazon.co...bs_1292115011_2

#6 Summer

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSouthwest US

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Asus has some special software on their screens to calibrate color for the best display. It works horrible with games and video when the graphics on the screen are updating very fast and their software takes a few full seconds to update. Make sure you turn all that off.

#7 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

Your draw time may be large on the monitor.

#8 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:58 PM

Greetings all,

I run 3 of those specific ASUS monitors in span mode.

- They are crisp and clean for every game or Sim I play.
- They were straight plug and play on my system. (DVI-D)
- Now I did go to the Nvidia control manager and set the 'Adjust video colour settings' to Nvidia controlled and the full spectrum.
(see the 'colour, Gamma, Advanced') ~ set Advanced to full 0- 255 Dynamic range, as it defaults to 16-235 and not true white to black. [they sometimes use that setting to artificially 'speed up' the refresh]

Are you connecting it with the HDMI or DVI-D plugs?
- DVI-D is straight video at high rates, HDMI splits that channel and also sends the digital sound with the signal.
(that could be a waste of bandwidth and speed as the monitor doesn't have speakers. But the manufactures are trying to 'standardize' the industry for monitors and cards to the newest connectors, 'Display Port' and get rid of DVI and its 5 different types as well as D-Sub. Should be down to HDMI and D-Port)
- Sadly the monitors don't have that connector type 'yet', (DVI-D, HDMI, D-Sub)

You'll find that there no 'drivers' assigned specifically to that monitor, Win7 assigns default drivers but may not have the 'complete' range for what the monitor can do. (it will list it as 'standard monitor')
- I had to 'assign' the monitor as a 'Digital Flat Panel' (1920 x 1080, 60Hz) under monitor type.
- Any change of the resolution from the monitors default will alter the sharpness of the image.
- Currently running 5760 x 1080. very crisp.

There is a control button on the bottom, should be far left one. Shown as S/A, that's the different 'modes', I run in gamming mode. (but there are many to pick from, Theatre, sRBG, night, Scenery, standard, game)
- Called SPLENDID Video Preset Mode Selection.
- Also check the 'input' settings that it is matched to the connector type, but it will tell you if there is a problem, or just will not display the image.
- I've had different monitors before, but these ASUS LED, 2ms response, at 0.272Pixel pitch are the sharpest.

Final note here: The image displayed is dependent on what's driving the signal and what your settings are for the video card, if you install a new monitor insure to 'remove' the drivers from the old monitor. The response time of the old monitor was 5ms, the new one 2ms, this alone should give your a crisper image as well as the finer pixel pitch. You've stepped up the requirements for the video card to run this new monitor at it's higher settings, that may now require 'adjustment' of the original settings.

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 27 April 2015 - 06:35 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users