What's More Enjoyable? Winning If A Roflstomp Roll, Or Losing In A Close Fought, Down To The Wire Last Man Standing Battle?

68 replies to this topic

#21 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

Well, to people grinding stuff? Winning in a stomp is quick and easy c-bills and XP.

To people who have full master/module mechs? Whatever they want. :lol:

#22 ZhaLinth

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:10 AM

It's all about the match for me, not the result or score.
I have fun playing this game, and even a 12-0 roflstomp can have great moments.
If I by chance end up in a 1vs1 brawl, both of us circling, trading blows and shielding our CTs, using faints to finally get the killing blow in.
Coming out on top is just the icing.

#23 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:39 AM

I'd rather a good fight any day of the week. Winning is preferable but when it feels like all you're doing is shooting Bobbies first Battlemech out of pure mercy, its just boring. though some amusement can be had with "i did WHAT" when you get to end of match screen :lol:

There is something intensely satisfying about making that hard comeback, or taking the win against enemies in bigger/better mechs *cough* healthy dire *cough* it really gets your blood pumping, your teammates shouting on comms or in chat, and the calls of good game actually mean something.

#24 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

Narrow losses are usually* more enjoyable than easy wins. Because they usually* indicate there's been a good engrossing battle.

* Not always. I've seen teams be well ahead and then lose narrowly due to sudden massive onset of derp.

#25 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:12 AM

Is this a real question?

Obviously it's the close loss, lol wtf.

#26 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:53 AM

As long as I've had a good scrap I don't care if I win or lose.

#27 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

I like loosing to stomps
I hate loosing close matches.

#28 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:52 AM

Reward is all I care about. As long as I am getting good cash per minute played, I am content.

#29 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:56 AM

Everybody likes a good fight.

Stomps happens and only a few pilots really like it.

#30 Fubl

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:04 AM

just had the oddest thing two games ago..... Cw match counterattack clan. Had a team mate whining about being up 42-32 and our people went on the offensive to clear out the rest of the mechs and that we were losing the match....

#31 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

I would rather lose 9-12 or closer, than get a 12-6 or better stomp. It's the close games that make you get better at this game, not the stomps.... Then again, I enjoy piloting Locusts...

#32 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:37 AM

IMO final match score 12-10 or whatnot is a very poor measure of how the game went. Unless it is 12-1 or something, there is usually a lot of things that went on that a mech tally at the end will not account for.

As such, I enjoy close games win or lose. Winning is preferred, because phat l00tz you get to win..... OWAIT there is no actual salvage.... but I do have pokemech syndrome so odds are if I won i am moving on to my next 2x XP mech for the night(usually)

Roflstomps are usually pretty obvious that one team had some true cadets. I do not relish those either way, as part of me knows those players are likely to get frustrated if that trend continues and there is no skill element involved in 6 team mates shooting a poor (C) pilot that was "lost" in the map trying to get back to his team because he hasn't developed any field awareness yet.

The games I enjoy the least? "close" losses, where it ends up being 12-6 or something: I will explain- the match will start out well enough, team is in a decent position, no one has friendly fired your teams DWF in the back, you know, looking OK. then, the enemy is located. team starts to move into an intercept vector, the vets are looking at the map, enemy, radar, and team position to create a positioning solution to make a fire line(read: herding the cats) because that first exchange will be important.

SUDDENLY, A WILD #YOLO LANCE APPEARS!! 3 of your team mates in medium(and maybe a light or heavy) see some target that got a little bit out of the enemy ECM bubble and start moving into KILLBOXDEATHBOWL direction. At this point, vet players, sometimes more than one, will enter into chat or even use VOIP(now) to call them back, point out the error, etc. #JONRAMBODOESN'TCAREANDWILLSECUREVICTORYFORUSALL. Enemy team guy takes some fire, and is promptly reinforced with 3-4 of his team mates that, surprise, were actually only 300M away. You see the little blue doritos and the one red one(with maybe a second one intermittenly flickering on and off as it is targeted) start spinning in circles, and the blue ones one by one dissapear from the radar.

Now the team is down 3 or 4 mechs, and maybe got one enemy, but thats about a 50/50. Rest of the team now gets to enjoy an eleven vs eight battle. Combined this with the surprise factor of finding out you actually have two or three more "seasoned cadets" on your team that at least know running #yolo will get them killed(and prefer to hide and hide and hide harder instead) and the match ends up being one of those 12-6 matches where one lance of team mates did 90% of the work and the game was NOT actually close, it was 10-12 vs 4 in reality. These are the carry harder matches, the ones you know Matchmaker stacked against you, or predicted you to lose, and it became a self fullfilling prophecy on account of a stacked deck. TL;DR- vet players try to herd cats, cats willpower so stronkg, vets can not carry enough- those are the games that end in frustration.

#33 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostEldagore, on 25 April 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

IMO final match score 12-10 or whatnot is a very poor measure of how the game went. Unless it is 12-1 or something, there is usually a lot of things that went on that a mech tally at the end will not account for.

As such, I enjoy close games win or lose. Winning is preferred, because phat l00tz you get to win..... OWAIT there is no actual salvage.... but I do have pokemech syndrome so odds are if I won i am moving on to my next 2x XP mech for the night(usually)

Roflstomps are usually pretty obvious that one team had some true cadets. I do not relish those either way, as part of me knows those players are likely to get frustrated if that trend continues and there is no skill element involved in 6 team mates shooting a poor (C) pilot that was "lost" in the map trying to get back to his team because he hasn't developed any field awareness yet.

The games I enjoy the least? "close" losses, where it ends up being 12-6 or something: I will explain- the match will start out well enough, team is in a decent position, no one has friendly fired your teams DWF in the back, you know, looking OK. then, the enemy is located. team starts to move into an intercept vector, the vets are looking at the map, enemy, radar, and team position to create a positioning solution to make a fire line(read: herding the cats) because that first exchange will be important.

SUDDENLY, A WILD #YOLO LANCE APPEARS!! 3 of your team mates in medium(and maybe a light or heavy) see some target that got a little bit out of the enemy ECM bubble and start moving into KILLBOXDEATHBOWL direction. At this point, vet players, sometimes more than one, will enter into chat or even use VOIP(now) to call them back, point out the error, etc. #JONRAMBODOESN'TCAREANDWILLSECUREVICTORYFORUSALL. Enemy team guy takes some fire, and is promptly reinforced with 3-4 of his team mates that, surprise, were actually only 300M away. You see the little blue doritos and the one red one(with maybe a second one intermittenly flickering on and off as it is targeted) start spinning in circles, and the blue ones one by one dissapear from the radar.

Now the team is down 3 or 4 mechs, and maybe got one enemy, but thats about a 50/50. Rest of the team now gets to enjoy an eleven vs eight battle. Combined this with the surprise factor of finding out you actually have two or three more "seasoned cadets" on your team that at least know running #yolo will get them killed(and prefer to hide and hide and hide harder instead) and the match ends up being one of those 12-6 matches where one lance of team mates did 90% of the work and the game was NOT actually close, it was 10-12 vs 4 in reality. These are the carry harder matches, the ones you know Matchmaker stacked against you, or predicted you to lose, and it became a self fullfilling prophecy on account of a stacked deck. TL;DR- vet players try to herd cats, cats willpower so stronkg, vets can not carry enough- those are the games that end in frustration.

I wish there was a way to like this more than once.............

Any close game, win or lose, is better than a stomp..........but if there has to be a stomp then I'd much prefer to be the one wearing the Doc Martins.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostZhaLinth, on 25 April 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

It's all about the match for me, not the result or score.
I have fun playing this game, and even a 12-0 roflstomp can have great moments.
If I by chance end up in a 1vs1 brawl, both of us circling, trading blows and shielding our CTs, using faints to finally get the killing blow in.
Coming out on top is just the icing.

I've had a couple recent matches like that..... team lost 12-1 in one, 12-2 in the other. Since in both matches I did all the killing, in my little Urbanmech, I felt pretty good, even though my team showed no teamwork, and several dudes on the other team were your usual epeen1337. At least I made them work to get the kill.

Sadly the way MM handles Elo around here, once you hit Elo Hell, not a lot you can do about it, but grin and bear if for about 20 matches where you know you're getting on the Underhive Bus. And then after you get about 20 matches against the Underhive.

Would really love to see something more of a happy medium.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 25 April 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

I'd rather a good fight any day of the week. Winning is preferable but when it feels like all you're doing is shooting Bobbies first Battlemech out of pure mercy, its just boring. though some amusement can be had with "i did WHAT" when you get to end of match screen :lol:

There is something intensely satisfying about making that hard comeback, or taking the win against enemies in bigger/better mechs *cough* healthy dire *cough* it really gets your blood pumping, your teammates shouting on comms or in chat, and the calls of good game actually mean something.

This too.

As others have stated, usually first one or two deaths, and the snowball occurs. But man I love it when we lose 4 fast and early (happened yesterday on Mining Collective, lance just suicide derp'd and was wiped out with only about 60 seconds into the match. SMH) and so for a few minutes we traded off, then next I know it's a 6 to 6 match, then we end up winning 8-12.
My Urbie was cored every where but one arm, one leg and the head. Most of my team were smoking like a pothead convention in denver, but we won. GGs were given...and of course, 1-2 people on the other team had to cuss us out and their "team full of bads" instead of having some modicum of grace.

Ah, the gaming community. What bastions of social etiquette we are.

View PostSoy, on 25 April 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

Is this a real question?

Obviously it's the close loss, lol wtf.

Have you read comments on these forums? Obviously not for everyone, as there are plenty like Kapusta who simply view winning as everything. I'll give him credit for being willing to say it, as I note most of the usual suspects (mostly wannabe Comps, though there are a few "real" comps who are noted for that attitude) are apparently too scared to speak up to it directly.

View PostNavid A1, on 25 April 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

I like loosing to stomps
I hate loosing close matches.

You are an odd man, lol.

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 April 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

Reward is all I care about. As long as I am getting good cash per minute played, I am content.

Well, you got the Mercenary Attitude well in hand then.

View PostPurpleNinja, on 25 April 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

Everybody likes a good fight.

Stomps happens and only a few pilots really like it.

I wish this was true. If everybody really liked a good fight, games would never have hacks or exploits used.

#36 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

Game result doesn't matter much to me, the only thing i care about is my own performance.

If i did nothing, i am not satisfied, wether it's a roflstomp or a very tough fight up to the last men standing.
If i had a crazy game - tanking and aiming like a boss and/or leading and carying my whole team and/or simply overcoming the challenge(s) i had to face - i'm happy, wether it's a roflstomp or a very tough fight up to the last men standing.

I would like to point out that 12-1/12-2 games are not always roflstomps as the snowball effect in this game is already huge, and also because you can represent the game as 12 1vs1 trades*. In a perfectly balanced situation (picture exact same Mechs and same level players in both team), each Mech is supposed to get down bringing its enemy counterpart with him.
Of course a 12-12 draw is impossible to get in game because a lot of thing are modifying each of these duels (biggest one being the mighty bonus for having +1 player after first trade is resolved). But even in a theorical perfect game, laws of probability would make those trades even between teams on a large scale, but uneven in every single game from a range going to 12-0 to 12-12.

*Well, maybe this is unclear, but for those who played some collectible cards game like Magic (or chess, btw), this trade system is something you're familiar with. As you have the same amount as your enemy, every card you play is a trade against your enemy's deck. If you're using two of your cards to get rid of a single one from your opponent, you've given him an advantage over you.

Sorry if i'm the party-killer here, i always see things in a strange way! ^_^

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostXtremWarrior, on 25 April 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Sorry if i'm the party-killer here, i always see things in a strange way! ^_^

Posted Image

#38 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

It isn't win or lose, but how fun the round is. Dog fights in lights (when I don't derp into the assault lance head on), pushing in assaults, live or die. Surviving with my hunchback's hump intact. Hell, funny/stupid deaths might be ok (urban got me arms blown off, lived longer without them then with).
About the only time I get pissed in the actual game is if I had a bad day really. Which is just me pissed in RL. or if some one DCs in a good mech mid match, I mean why? You might help turn a bad fight, or at least get one more kill before kissing dirt...

#39 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Fighting down to the last man, close and nail biting the entire time.

That is far better then a stomp. Stomps just feel... empty.

#40 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Losing in a close fought battle, no contest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users