What's More Enjoyable? Winning If A Roflstomp Roll, Or Losing In A Close Fought, Down To The Wire Last Man Standing Battle?

68 replies to this topic

#41 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

I find them both enjoyable but on different ends of the spectrum.

1. Finally I get an easy win.
2. Finally I get a good battle but it was a loss.

#42 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

Best match is a close win where I personally performed well.

If I lose a close match and personally played well that is fine.

If I personally play badly then win or lose I am angry (with myself).

Honestly, I do not mind stomping the opposition once in a while :)

I hate being stomped, and if I play well but am let down by what I perceive as bad play on my team then that gets me mad.

The worst is where a couple of idiots get themselves killed for almost zero damage right at the beginning of the game and sink your chances before anyone else even engages.

I also hate it when the match maker puts obvioulsy brand new players in to games against vets. It is not their fault (it is the MM) but you know they are going to be a big disadvantage.

It is also extremely frsutrating to have a close game only to lose becasue some ****** was afk.

#43 Athalus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

Winning a game 2:12 I find rather dull. It's the matches where I'm amongst the last ones left, making a stand, that make playing interesting. Thats how I see it anyway ;)

#44 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

the close loss or close win for tht matter is more fun than any of the stomps. the only amusement of being the stompee is if i have the 1 or 2 kills for the team cause i'm usually in locusts/urbies/whatever mech i'm trying master and pretty much never have to worry about being the "carry harder" guy on the team.

i'm also finding a lot of matches now where 6-6/7-7 suddenly turns into 12-6/7 for no discernable reason i've been able to tell. once or twice i find we're scattered to the wins and the other side has interior lines on us but most of the time it goes from "we have a chance" to "how am i the last one left?" a minute later.

#45 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Close matches are way more fun than stomps, even if I lose. If it's a close match, I'll stay and watch after I die. If it's one-sided, I just disconnect and go to the next match.

#46 Rakesch

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

Losing a hard fight is fun.
Wasting time while farming dropships is NOT fun.

Had today one realy nice fight against Clan Ghost Bear. They killed omega in the last minute against 12 Liao pugs. It was way beter than many games i won in stomps. Close games are always grat fun.

#47 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

I play to win. Anything different from a win is at least somewhat disappointing.

There may be other factors that serve as "silver linings" and partially counter that disappointment, and the match having a close result is certainly an example of that. The disappointment is still there, though.

#48 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

If I got to shoot at Big Stompy Mechs, I generally enjoyed it either way.

#49 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

I only say GG after a close game (and that's if it wasn't a gimmicky B.S. contest more than it was an actual fight). I think that you can draw your conclusions from that. ;)

#50 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

losing a close fight, roflstomps are always boring.

View Postkapusta11, on 25 April 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

The point of every competition is to win.

and the point of a gme is to have fun.

#51 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

I find it more fun to have a down to the wire match. It gives me the illusion of being a hero.

#52 Diznitch

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

It depends on how long its been since a win. It's fun to shoot the mechs and watch them explode!

#53 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 April 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

I get them quite frequently. I consider anything 8v12 very close, because of how matches snowball, but even really lopsided scores can be close games depending on the shape of the surviving mechs. Two teams that both take tons of damage without losing people through balanced trading? AwAs soon as one mech falls, things snowball very fast. Doesn't make the match less of an close game.

Likewise, you get those matches that look lopsided because one team crushes the other, but you know it'd have gone the other way completely if their flank had been timed just a bit better.

Well, there are plenty of close games that end up "looking" like a roflstomp. It's the "domino effect" when sustained firepower and no kills occur. It doesn't take much to clean the opponents up.

#54 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 April 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Well, there are plenty of close games that end up "looking" like a roflstomp. It's the "domino effect" when sustained firepower and no kills occur. It doesn't take much to clean the opponents up.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Its long been my experience that a game that looked crushing by the score board was actually very close.

Often, people cry or blame the matchmaker, but the game was actually pretty close, they just don't know it.

#55 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

DOwn to the wire last man standing battles are 1000000x more enjoyable. It means the game actually lasted a few minutes and if your not an idiot you manage to live, shoot, move, play the game, make choices, kill some stuff, deal damage and all in all, you know.....as people always claim in games...HAVE FUN!!!

There is nothing fun about a game starting, and one side rolling the other in 3 minutes....neither side gets to experience anything....its 3 minutes, ready, set, press WASD a little bit and the game ends in a fury of ******** and fire......

I find games that last a minute far more fun. THose are the games where even in a loss I can pull out 500-800 dmg, a kill or 2, maybe pull it out. But rolls, there is nothing anyone can do. One side gets smoked, having dealt no damage and there is nothing anyone can do.

Down to the wire games each side shot the hell out of each other, guys died on both sides, all mechs get shot to bits, and in the end it comes down to who truly was the better player, twisting, movement, anticipation, tactics, strategy, knowledge of your mech, your enemy, and all that comes in to effect, making the whole experience far better.....

there is nothing skillfull about 3 minute bum rush 2-12 rolls.....

I had a CW game that lasted the entire 30 minutes, we lost the gun at the last 2 minutes and it ended like 36-36 I think. Both sides gave some, took some, blew up each other and that was the most fun loss ive ever had, and I hate being on the side that loses, I typically would have simply exited after my 1st mech had it not been such a good game. But yeha, down to the wire, last man standing games are BAWS!

#56 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

I could go either way, doesn't really change much.

#57 Artgathan

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Down to the wire battles where one contestant throws a game-winning knock-out punch while gasping for air and cradling their other (broken) arm is what Battletech is all about. I'll take a close loss any day of the week.

#58 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostXetelian, on 25 April 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

I could go either way, doesn't really change much.

We heard that about you Clanners.

#59 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

winning is always more enjoyable no matter what and how, even if they all were dced

#60 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 25 April 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

winning is always more enjoyable no matter what and how, even if they all were dced

Yeah, but its no fun when the game ends in 2 minutes, after you did nothing more then walk around a fire 2 shots....I find those wins not even worth it.

Wins where each player can dish some, take some and it ends in a brutal fight are the best games. To bad MWO has none of that. Also, its why I love PVE...its always a brutal fight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users