Clan Mechs Are Awful.

292 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

I usually play IS mechs. I went on a clan contract for Tukiyyd because I wanted to see how clan mechs perform in CW. For the most part CW has been a riot. I have lost as many matches as I have won. I really have no complaints about this event. Those clan mechs though.

I have been trying several different weapons systems with a variety of different load outs. The only thing that is successful in doing a lot of damage and being the most effective are laser builds. Even then the beam duration is too long. The game is flooded with ECM mechs so LRMs are useless even with TAG. C-UACs are largly ineffective because they jam too frequently and their burst rate is awful. Streak SRMs are great. However, even if you equip CAP you still have the issue of overlaping ECM. ERPPC's are just too damn hot to equip more than 1.

Direwolves are non existant in CW which I think is a little strange. Well, not really I guess because PGI has made every map into a funnel of death assault mode zerg rush. (Ok so I have one complaint about CW). Which is a death sentance for the slow moving target.

I love this game but I think PGI is ruining it with these damn quirks. I will never play clan mechs again in a CW event. Why would I when I can play a heavy mech that has AC5's that fire faster then UAC's. Why would I when I can play a medium that fires a gauss rifle like an AC2. Why would I pilot a clan mech when I can take several IS mechs that can fire lasers without a severe heat penalty or over the top beam duration.

As an avid IS pilot I have to say..... Clan mechs are under powered and IS mechs have just become a bastardized version of their former selves. Granted some of the IS mechs needed help. However, in my opinion, I think PGI took it too far.

This is just my opinion... Take it as that and not actual fact. Remember that before you go all white knight.

After though:

Maybe Aweful is too harsh a term.. After having read some of your responses, I think I would have to agree with Bishop Steiner and a few others who have the same feelings.

It appears that the majority of players chose to use "meta" because it is the most efficient way to play clan mechs. That is a choice that gamers make and I feel that it isn't necessarily the best choice. I choose not too use the "meta" because, as Bishop has stated: "They get boring fast." Surprisingly, after hours of CW drops (mostly losses) I found some builds for clan mechs that are not boring and yet still effective. I created a drop deck that I found to be very effective in CW, that isn't "meta" and actually a lot of fun. My current drop deck is averaging me a damage of 1500 to 2000 in CW. I don't know if that is good but It's an improvement over the last attempt at CW.

Clan UAC's
After more testing (which is what I should have done before starting this thread) UAC's CAN actually be efffective. I found that they work really well when paired with a single PPC or 2 or 3 lasers. My favorite combination is a ERPPC and CUAC5. or ERLL and 2 x ERML with an CUAC5. I think something still needs to be done with CUAC burst rate and Jam chance.

Clan Lasers.
I'm sticking with my guns on this one. The beam duration is too long. Other than that I think they are fine. I usually TRY to stick with no more than 4 lasers on a clan mech. Too hot otherwise.

Edited by DjPush, 26 April 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#2 Colonjack

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

Shhhh.. you had best say this in hushed tones or you will be burnt alive for heresy.

*Ahem*

Yeh Yeh clan mechs are so OP ;)

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

View PostColonjack, on 25 April 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

Shhhh.. you had best say this in hushed tones or you will be burnt alive for heresy.

*Ahem*

Yeh Yeh clan mechs are so OP ;)

Aside from a few perfect storm mechs, then Clan units suffer from ghost heat, scaling issues, lack of hard points, lack of crit spaces and lack of free weight... This is before we even get to weapon issues for the clans...

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

They've got two God Tier robots...so they've got that going for them.

Just ignore 9 robots. Kinda sad.

Edited by Mcgral18, 25 April 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#5 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

OP You lie!!!!!

Clans are soooO00Ooo00oo0oo OP its not even funny. <_< <_< ;)

#6 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:17 AM

Tell that to the clan win rate in this event
Clan Lasers are too good.

In metagame its min max, and the outliers are what makes it

Edited by Tennex, 25 April 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#7 Djinnhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostDjPush, on 25 April 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

I usually play IS mechs. I went on a clan contract for Tukiyyd because I wanted to see how clan mechs perform in CW. For the most part CW has been a riot. I have lost as many matches as I have won. I really have no complaints about this event. Those clan mechs though.

I have been trying several different weapons systems with a variety of different load outs. The only thing that is successful in doing a lot of damage and being the most effective are laser builds. Even then the beam duration is too long. The game is flooded with ECM mechs so LRMs are useless even with TAG. C-UACs are largly ineffective because they jam too frequently and their burst rate is awful. Streak SRMs are great. However, even if you equip CAP you still have the issue of overlaping ECM. ERPPC's are just too damn hot to equip more than 1.

Direwolves are non existant in CW which I think is a little strange. Well, not really I guess because PGI has made every map into a funnel of death assault mode zerg rush. (Ok so I have one complaint about CW). Which is a death sentance for the slow moving target.

I love this game but I think PGI is ruining it with these damn quirks. I will never play clan mechs again in a CW event. Why would I when I can play a heavy mech that has AC5's that fire faster then UAC's. Why would I when I can play a medium that fires a gauss rifle like an AC2. Why would I pilot a clan mech when I can take several IS mechs that can fire lasers without a severe heat penalty or over the top beam duration.

As an avid IS pilot I have to say..... Clan mechs are under powered and IS mechs have just become a bastardized version of their former selves. Granted some of the IS mechs needed help. However, in my opinion, I think PGI took it too far.

This is just my opinion... Take it as that and not actual fact. Remember that before you go all white knight.

You're quite right. I play both Is and Clan tech and if I want to do comps the Is mechs always are chosen.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

I am sure the Clans are winning Tukayyid with skill alone. Yep.

#9 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

Thats because the devs were shooting for them to be a sidegrade not an upgrade

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Um, I find Assault Mechs pretty scarce period because, ya know, weight limits to your drop deck? And 100 tonners? Most DW and King Crab jocks don't like having to drive a Spider or Commando to compensate.

Plus, unless you are defending, they are simply too slow to support the push.

As for the Clan Mechs themselves? Timberwolf, Stormcrow, Direwolf and Hellbringer are all rather good. Mad Dog and Warhawk can be potent when people know how to use them. Most of the rest, indeed are pretty bad.

Biggest thing is they are just so sterile and boring feeling compared to IS mechs.

I ran around in my new shinies back last June when I got them, but was pretty bored with most by August. Wave 2, aside from the Mad Dog, didn't even hold my attention that long.

Nowadays, unless I am dropping with my Clan, I pretty much only use my Summoners, which are indeed bad, or more likely, run my IS acct. Because I'd rather be in Centurions, Hunchbacks and Urbanmechs!

#11 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

On the whole yeah, clan mechs are pretty bad. I'd never want to pit a Summoner against a Thunderbolt.

Good thing you only see TBRs, SCRs and DWFs in CW then, with the occasional HBR for ECM.

#12 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

Quirks are dumb. PGI should fix their game instead of cover it with bandaids.

#13 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostTennex, on 25 April 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Tell that to the clan win rate in this event
Clan Lasers are too good.

In metagame its min max, and the outliers are what makes it

Yes, because a weapon that forces you to stand there, face the enemy longer, try not to spread the damage as much, and wait longer for heat to come down is SOOO much better then the instant high levels of damage IS are able to do. That makes sense.

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 April 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

I am sure the Clans are winning Tukayyid with skill alone. Yep.

No, but they COULD be winning because a bunch of newbies decided to play, IS mechs are cheaper to get and thus Pug-aggeddon has happened. The few hardened clan vets go to meet the waves of new or low skill players (which ..frankly heavily outweights skilled players) and they chew through them because they do the same they always do, run in in ones and twos, or just refuse to use voip and then complain about "Hey guys, work together" in text.

At least that is what happens till a group who knows how to play rolls along in Stalkers, Dragons, Thunderbolts and Firestarters and wipes the clan teams,

#14 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Roughly the same percentage of clan mechs are worth playing compared to IS mechs. Just that there are more IS mechs. *shrug*

Also, too many clan builds try to cram too much heat into their mechs, and then complain about running hot. *shrug*

Using CW as a basis for balancing is also silly.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 25 April 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#15 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

Lets be real here, clans have a couple great mechs and a horde of derped mechs.

The main reason being the locking of engine/ferro/endo. Some combinations work excellent others are terribad.

The quirkening for IS mechs is a little out of hand as well.

#16 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 25 April 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

No, but they COULD be winning because a bunch of newbies decided to play, IS mechs are cheaper to get and thus Pug-aggeddon has happened. The few hardened clan vets go to meet the waves of new or low skill players (which ..frankly heavily outweights skilled players) and they chew through them because they do the same they always do, run in in ones and twos, or just refuse to use voip and then complain about "Hey guys, work together" in text.

Teamwork is so much more important than tech imbalance that this argument is ridiculous. If one side is working together and focusing fire and the other isn't, it would take a tremendous tech imbalance to make it come out in favor of the PUGs.

#17 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 25 April 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yes, because a weapon that forces you to stand there, face the enemy longer, try not to spread the damage as much, and wait longer for heat to come down is SOOO much better then the instant high levels of damage IS are able to do. That makes sense.

Don't argue minutia. Big picture is that clans are winning more. And most successful clan builds use lasers

Personally i think clan equipment in general are too light for the value, and that extra weight is being put into the locked engine ratings. Making them very fast mechs that can load much more weapons than IS counterparts.

Edited by Tennex, 25 April 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#18 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Clan win rate is steadily dropping as IS big groups are clustered at the front of the queue, slaughtering clan solo groups left and right.

Why? It's not just comms. They're all running quirk-god mechs, either large laser stalkers, erppc/mpulse tbolts, ac5 dragons, etc.

You know, the mechs that use IS weapons that make clan tech look like trash in comparison.

#19 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

View PostZoid, on 25 April 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

Teamwork is so much more important than tech imbalance that this argument is ridiculous. If one side is working together and focusing fire and the other isn't, it would take a tremendous tech imbalance to make it come out in favor of the PUGs.

So ..you are agreeing with me? or what, because That's what I just said, clans are probably using teamwork while IS pubs just rush in and die.

#20 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationUSA

If you're playing those Trial mechs to make your dropdeck.. (if its even possible to hit the weight limits dead on with Trials)

Most of the trial mechs are pretty horrible, almost all of them have much reduced armor, extremely limited ammo stores and configs that are not optimal, and if they're not leveled up they're a real pain in the ass just like anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users