Cw Is Monotonous.

42 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

Been playing CW this evening first time in a long time. And the play is just soooo monotonous. Its kinda mind numbing after a while.

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Been playing CW this evening first time in a long time. And the play is just soooo monotonous. Its kinda mind numbing after a while.

Slow down. Relax. Do something else. Do something long and often enough and you will eventually get bored, tired, etc.

#3 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

Slow down. Relax. Do something else. Do something long and often enough and you will eventually get bored, tired, etc.
Thing is I do not get this doing normal group drops. Its just how they have CW gameplay setup.

#4 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:38 PM

I feel your pain.... I hope that 4v4 the strategy of opening planets for capture spices up things.

#5 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 April 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Thing is I do not get this doing normal group drops. Its just how they have CW gameplay setup.

Wait what? Nascar everyone turn left Pub matches do not feel monotonous?

#6 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Everything is monotonous!

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:47 PM

View PostTaffer, on 25 April 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

Everything is monotonous!

Yep. What else does one expect from an arena shooter?

#8 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

They need more game modes for CW also the idea of multi prong objectives would be interesting,

#9 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

Really seems like there are more options in normal drops.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 26 April 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#10 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

Extremely monotonous. There's like 3 maps and even those are tunneled and extremely closed so they end up playing very similarly. The whole CW business is a let down imo.

There's only 2 types of people in the world and this is extremely obvious in online games. People who love routine and love doing the same thing over and over again. Those are people who love predictability, hate going outside of their comfort zone and only feel well being exposed to the same patterns over and over again. These types love CW.

Then there's people who hate routine and monotony, and loathe being exposed to the same patterns repeatedly. Those are people who need to be stimulated in different ways, the more creative types. Those people will dread something like CW.

That being said MWO is quite a monotonous game to begin with, were it not for the amount of chasis, loadouts and variety in this department it would be a terrible arena shooter with nothing to do. The only thing mechwarrior online has going for it is the endless combinations of loadouts, the maps are nothing to write home about, neither are the game modes.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 26 April 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#11 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:16 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 25 April 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

I see no problem here.

Edited by Whatzituyah, 26 April 2015 - 01:17 AM.

#12 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

What it needs, is complete map redesign, but failing that rather than three points you have to destroy, before you can attack the final generator, cap points like conquest, stratigic points you have to hold and keep before you can asault the generator.

It will bring intelligent play as you'll have to work out how to split your forces and when it will give CW a method of role warfare, fast mechs can scout points before comitting forces the defenders have to decide, to split or concentrate.

This would work better in new maps, they could be more open but it would still give options, on the old maps.

light rushes are at least reduced and might become a thing of the past, because they can't take a cap point while a heavy unit is inside the box and will be forced to fight other mechs, the best built teams would have mechs of all weights as its an advantage to mix them up, because your still going to need lights to counter cap and stop counter attacking the points you need, by the other team.

Drop zones would be well defended and well away from the cap points, to prevent spawn camping.

counter attack might well not be needed, as winning a match would be so much harder, and taking a planet would be a real achievement, and I stress real achievement, that only the best organised teams would achieve. while the rest of us can have a good punch up, as it wouldn't center around those stupid doors

Edited by Cathy, 26 April 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#13 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:27 AM

IMHO CW could much more enjoyable with much less coding and map design effort on PGI side.

More like (all on normal maps):
1.) scout a map for a dropship to land
2.) defend the landed dropship
3.) scout strategic targets (just another match with some waypoints)
4.) attack a target (factory or orbital cannon)
defend dropship again, etc.

like a cheap mini campaign.

Would be MUCH more fun and MUCH less effort.

Edited by Paigan, 26 April 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#14 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,982 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

The game is really monotonous, however, being an arena shooter has nothing to do with that. Let's see...

- game modes
differ hardly. Instead of promoting tactical gameplay it is usually to blow up the enemy mechs. The players are not really to blame. Take capturing nodes for example: the TTK of mechs is so low that it is safer to blow up the enemy team than splitting forces.

- maps
many of the maps are just...unfun. Some dynamic maps with random events would have been interesting and would have demanded flexibility of the players.

- weapons
laser spam...do I need to say more?

#15 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

How surprising. I never expeted CW being anything else than another endless grind.
They simply don't have the ideas, creativity and knowledge to make CW an interesting experience.

#16 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

I wouldn't count on 4v4 changing anything, anything at all. Given the track record of our developer's inability to move past assault mode - I would just expect it to be 4v4 assault on the standard maps (why do you think they are going back to add dropships?)

And that really boils down to if they can figure out the server side logistics of having 4v4 matches sucking up tons of resources - because that's why we don't have smaller match sizes already. I wouldn't doubt that we see 4v4 get scrapped about 2 weeks before it launches.

Edited by sycocys, 26 April 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#17 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

You're playing four matches in a row on the same map in quick succession. Of course there are people who will get bored with this very quickly.

When not playing CW there are breaks in between, there aren't any limitations on 'Mechs, you fight different people each time, and you likely won't see the same map twice in four matches.

CW isn't likely to change. You're going to have to either suck it up or find a way to break up the monotony.

#18 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 25 April 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

I think this is all a matter of personal preference. Personally I'm with this guy.

For me it just feels like every pub match that's not conquest turns into a whirlpool TDM. I've had more fun doing CW pugs the last two days than most of the past couple months in random queue.

PS: if it's not counter-attack and CW turns into TDM, then offense is doing it wrong.

EDIT: TIL: no one remembers what arena shooters actually are

Edited by Shalune, 26 April 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#19 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

It feels like it's a combination of map design. 2 or 3 chokepoints that feed into a handful of other chokepoints through rough terrain. Beta Gate on Sulfurous rift is one of the most well-designed entrances but it's too narrow. Spawns located in easy to camp spots. And the maps are just mostly too small to support interesting combat. The three newer maps are a bit better, though. Hellebore Spring's gates are farther apart with a path outside to cut between them but it should be located closer to the gate like Emerald Taiga and Grim Portico. Emerald Taiga offers a nice mix of skirmishing and brawling. So does Grim Portico but the gates are still too close to each other.

And game mode. Having to open the gates with all the defenders inside rather than having to fight your way to the base and capture objectives outside of it in the first place. Which also favors rushing the base objectives for victory rather than fighting. Maps that are more of an open world, with incentive to bring more diverse decks for different strategies, even if it was still 12v12, would be better.

And the lack of matchmaking. Especially when fighting is limited to a map with a full queue like Tukayyid while it's more difficult to do that when the queues are split in regular CW. We'd get better matches if group size and Elo were accounted for this week.

ETA: The most interesting match I've had so far was a Counter-Attack with my casual, mixed-skill unit against PUGs on Hellebore Springs. It was a relatively even match in skill. We slightly out-traded them inside the gate to get ahead on kills. Pushed in to a point we could take out the generator while holding off counter-attacks, then had a 10-20 minute reinforced fighting withdrawal over the relatively open terrain headed toward and in front of the spawn. It almost felt tactical.

We didn't win it outright in the mechlab or just have a stomp because one team was drastically out-skilled. Being able to reinforce quickly did make it a lopsided score in the end. But it took the full match and had engagement the whole way through.

Edited by Mizeur, 26 April 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#20 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yup. Map design. It's the chokepoints' problem. Std. queue maps are much more unpredictable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users