Mrm's: Medium Range Missiles

28 replies to this topic

Poll: MRM's (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you a prolific missile-based player?

1. No. (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. Yes. (9 votes [19.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

3. Sorta'. (use missile sometimes) (31 votes [67.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.39%

4. I like missiles, but I don't see a reason to use them much. (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. What's a missile? (troll answer) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Did you use MRM's in previous Mechwarrior titles or Table Top?

1. Yes. (17 votes [36.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

2. No. (9 votes [19.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

3. Sometimes. (13 votes [28.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.26%

4. What is Mechwarrior? (troll answer) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Never played previous MW titles or Table Top. (7 votes [15.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

Would you like to see MRM's in MWO, and would you use them? (in keeping with timeline)

1. Yes and YES! (37 votes [80.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.43%

2. NO!!! (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

3. I would like more missile variety, but I doubt I would use MRM's. (7 votes [15.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

4. Missiles are OP and should be removed from the game! (troll answer) (0 votes [0.00%])

If you selected "NO!!!", why are you against MRM's? (must choose an answer or MWO will give you an error message)

1. I don't like MRM's! (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

2. I don't want people to have variety! (troll answer) (1 votes [2.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

3. Are you kidding me??? It's a missile! (troll answer) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I hate MRM's. They were mean to me as a kid. (troll answer) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I didn't select "NO!!!". (41 votes [89.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.13%

6. PGI would mess it up. (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

If you selected "Yes, and YES!", would you like to see MW4 style MRM's or something else? (must choose an answer or MWO will give you an error message)

1. MW4 is fine with me. (22 votes [43.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.14%

2. Something else. MW4 MRM's were too hot. (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

3. Something else. MW4 MRM's were too short ranged. (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

4. Something else. MW4 MRM's were too heavy. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Something else. MW4 MRM's fired too slowly. (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

6. Something else. MW4 MRM's stunk. (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

7. Keep it the same, but make it different! (troll answer) (3 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

8. I HATE MRM's!!! (troll answer) (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

9. I didn't select "Yes, and YES!". (8 votes [15.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

10. Never played MW4. (6 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

11. Use TT MRM's. (Please explain in post. I [BerserX] never played TT and have no idea how they were implemented.) (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

How would you like to see MRM's implemented? (Keep in mind they are traiditionally dumb-fired)

1. Stream-fired, like Clan LRM's. (high speed, straight path, more skill to use) (13 votes [37.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

2. Cluster-fired, like SRM's. (a little faster, maybe a little tighter grouping) (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

3. Shotgun-fired, like LBX's. (would need to be a bit faster than SRM's, linear spread starting tight at close ranges and widest at max range, maybe up to 600m range?) (5 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Other. (please explain in post) (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

5. Ripple-fired, like multiple simultaneous, Clan LRM streams (totaling the number of the launcher) (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Currently, there are only two main kinds of missiles: SRM (< 270m) and LRM (> 180m, with lock pretty much required). It would be nice to see MRM's (< 400-500m) make an appearance in MWO. This would provide some variety to missile mechs so we don't just see LRM boats or SRM boats with very limited roles. MRM's could be used for those medium ranges where SRM's are too short and LRM's don't have sufficient lock time to be really effective.

In MW4, MRM's were < 400m range weapons with higher heat and tonnage than SRM's and lower damage per missile (requiring more ammo). They came in sizes of MRM10, -20, -30, and -40 (with 40 being around 11 tons, if I remember correctly). An MRM10 or MRM20 could easily supplement most SRM or LRM boats for those instances when the target is dancing just on the edge of max. or min. range, or when there is not enough time for LRM's to lock target at 400m before the enemy ducks behind the next hill. Also, MRM's had a slower rate of fire than SRM's.

I believe MRM's would also be useful for mechs with one missile harpoint, when an SRM6 is a little ridiculous (i.e.: Zeus 6S and 9S... I think those are the two), or when an LRM system is contrary to the mech's arsenal (i.e.: Centurion... I know it's not the best example).

Is this something that players would like to see? If you're a missile-based player (i.e.: SRM or LRM boater) please speak up!

*Edit*
I add the "implemented" question and edited previous questions to better reflect diverse answers.

Edited by BerserX, 01 May 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

A new weapon system is needed. MRMs would fill a niche spot and add more variety.

#3 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

i doubt anyone would use them over SRMs in this game, myself.

#4 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostBerserX, on 26 April 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Currently, there are only two main kinds of missiles: SRM (< 270m) and LRM (> 180m, with lock pretty much required). It would be nice to see MRM's (< 400-500m) make an appearance in MWO. This would provide some variety to missile mechs so we don't just see LRM boats or SRM boats with very limited roles. MRM's could be used for those medium ranges where SRM's are too short and LRM's don't have sufficient lock time to be really effective.

In MW4, MRM's were < 400m range weapons with higher heat and tonnage than SRM's and lower damage per missile (requiring more ammo). They came in sizes of MRM10, -20, -30, and -40 (with 40 being around 11 tons, if I remember correctly). An MRM10 or MRM20 could easily supplement most SRM or LRM boats for those instances when the target is dancing just on the edge of max. or min. range, or when there is not enough time for LRM's to lock target at 400m before the enemy ducks behind the next hill. Also, MRM's had a slower rate of fire than SRM's.

I believe MRM's would also be useful for mechs with one missile harpoint, when an SRM6 is a little ridiculous (i.e.: Zeus 6S and 9S... I think those are the two), or when an LRM system is contrary to the mech's arsenal (i.e.: Centurion... I know it's not the best example).

Is this something that players would like to see? If you're a missile-based player (i.e.: SRM or LRM boater) please speak up!

Biased troll post is biased. Good day.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 26 April 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Biased troll post is biased. Good day.

I agree. Terrible poll - even though I want to see MRMs in the game, most of the poll options didn't reflect my position.

Am I a prolific missile user? Well, I don't use LRMs, and I sometimes use SRMs. So.. yes? or ... no? Or sorta?

Did I use MRMs in previous MW? Never played another MW that had MRMs.

Would I like to see them? Yes.

How would I like to seem them implemented? ... you compare it to MW4, and I never played MW4, so I had to choose "same, but different" ... best option is still a bad choice.

#6 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 26 April 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

i doubt anyone would use them over SRMs in this game, myself.

People would use them for the same reason anybody uses Streak-6s right now. Range.

That's really what Streak-6s are now, with 360m range - they're pretty much MRMs.

#7 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

My apologies for forgetting options for people who had never played MW4 or for implementing them into MWO. The "troll answer" stuff was just being funny toward people who would limit others by saying "no" just because they don't like them, or just for fun (as some answers are obviously ridiculous).

I will add poll options for the above-mentioned.

*Edit*
I did not add a poll for how to implement them, as I am a little uncertain how to poll people on this. This would be good for suggestions. Maybe if enough good suggestions come through, I will add a poll for implementation.

Edited by BerserX, 26 April 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#8 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Greetings all,

Just so we are clear here, there are a few configurations of the MRM load-outs that pack 60 missiles.
- They are dumb fired, but that's still 60 missiles.

If you thought the 'Splat Cat' was a problem, wait till you run into 2 or 3 of those 'Mech's, and all capable of 90+ kph.
- The MRM-30 was designed to be easily swapped in for the LRM 20

I don't even want to think about the MRM carrier (tracked vehicle) with 3 x MRM-30's.
- The Demolisher Tank being one variant that mounts these 3 launchers.

Just some info,
9erRed

#9 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

on sarna mrm it's

a ) inner sphere weapon only
b ) appeared in 3058, we are in 3050
c ) they don't have guidance and are used like cannons etc (they imply srms have guidance, lol)

#10 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Good point with the 60MRM splat cats. That would be pretty bad. Though, as bad arcade kitty pointed out, MRM's were IS weapons. Here's the Sarna link I found: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MRM-40.

Idk about the timeline stuff. It was my understanding that gauss, UAC, and LBX were Clan inventions ported over to IS platforms. If that's the case, why did we have all three WAY before the Clans were introduced (understanding that there wouldn't have been much variety without them, but assuming we are actually following some sort of timeline)? If we are actually going to see a legitimate timeline followed, then cool, but I haven't seen much of a noticeable timeline yet (maybe we'll see that when CW is finished?).

BTW: The great balancer for MRM's (per Sarna) appears to be their heat and low ammo/tonnage ratio.

#11 Qtvcfr

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 51 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

Haha, your poll options still aren't broad enough. I played MW 1, 2, and 3, but absolutely despised MW 4. Since MRMs weren't in any of the games that I played I can't say I've used them in a MW title. That being said I loved MRMs in TT and would like to see them make the jump to MWO. Unfortunately they don't come out until around 3058, which is a long ways off in the MWO timeline.

Balance wouldn't be that hard as you mentioned weight and heat are an issue, but the big balance factor in TT was MRM's inherent inaccuracy. Which could be quantified in MWO by making them very slow and have huge spread.

#12 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 26 April 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

on sarna mrm it's

a ) inner sphere weapon only
b ) appeared in 3058, we are in 3050
c ) they don't have guidance and are used like cannons etc (they imply srms have guidance, lol)

I guess we could implement it as this
Posted Image

#13 Lugin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostBerserX, on 27 April 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Good point with the 60MRM splat cats. That would be pretty bad. Though, as bad arcade kitty pointed out, MRM's were IS weapons. Here's the Sarna link I found: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MRM-40.

Idk about the timeline stuff. It was my understanding that gauss, UAC, and LBX were Clan inventions ported over to IS platforms. If that's the case, why did we have all three WAY before the Clans were introduced (understanding that there wouldn't have been much variety without them, but assuming we are actually following some sort of timeline)? If we are actually going to see a legitimate timeline followed, then cool, but I haven't seen much of a noticeable timeline yet (maybe we'll see that when CW is finished?).

BTW: The great balancer for MRM's (per Sarna) appears to be their heat and low ammo/tonnage ratio.

There's also the fact that each MRM only hits as hard as an LRM. Throw in the bulkiness of the launchers, the way they tear through ammo, the inherent inaccuracy of the MRMs, and they're fairly balanced. Throw in the fact that MRMs run twice as hot as their "relative equivalent" LRM...

As for gauss, LBX, and UAC, the versions the IS has are the originals. They were lost for most of the Succession Wars, only recovered after 3035. The clans retained and improved them, as well as expanding the LBX and UAC to all AC sizes. This rendered standard ACs obsolete for the clans, and given how anti-waste they are, they no longer make them (*We've got them in MWO to "replicate" LBX's switchable ammo).

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:28 PM

Well, if we are to see MRMs in MWO's future, they should basically be longer ranged (then likely faster) dead-fire SRMs.

So I'd also like to see SRMs get some type of guidance, being Missiles with a guidance system compared to MRMs with their warheads and rocket fuel description (kinda like contemporary Hydra rockets I guess), before getting MRMs.

Edited by Praetor Knight, 27 April 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#15 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm trying to imagine how MRMs would be used, assuming they had equal spread to an SRM-6. I would expect to see high-spread MRMs used primarily used at point-blank, as if they were simply a bigger and less efficient SRM launcher.

Stream firing like C-LRMs (perhaps a bit faster) would justify a minimal spread that would be useful at ~400M, while simultaneously keeping SRMs firmly on their brawling throne due to MRMs being less frontloaded.

Regardless of their implementation, I would likely end up spending all my CB on new launchers shortly after MRMs were patched in. Anything that gets more dumbfires in the game is something I want very badly, especially when they cover a range bracket that no other missile weapon excels in.

#16 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Clan LRM's make a good substitute.

#17 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

It seems that the general consensus is that MRM's would add a much-needed variety to the missile-based warfare in MWO. There have been some good points made concerning balancing and implementation. The poll has been updated to reflect some of these ideas.

If you have any ideas that you believe should be added to the poll, please do not hesitate to share them (i.e.: implementation, balancing, other MRM experience options, maybe the poll does not properly reflect a demographic of MW fans [maybe from previous titles or other mediums]). Also, if you feel that I have somehow missed something that needs to be included from prior posts, please let me know.

#18 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

You forgot the answer "Sure, in 3058".

I have no doubt we will eventually see MRMs. However, that likely won't be until "3058", whenever that date rolls around.

(Since 3058 is the next logical "jump" for the timeline, I'd expect it in 2-3 years.)

#19 Qtvcfr

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 51 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

**** son. We aint even hit 3055 yet. lol

#20 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:31 AM

problem is we already have MRM with a very short range...

MRM are complete dumb fire missiles, SRM used to be slightly guided. Its unlikely anyone will be able to hit anything with unguided missiles at 500m....

wait for 2x MRM40 missile launcher mechs... have fun...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users