22 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I noticed that some of the top units in the faction lists are very large units. For example, MercStar had 180 players in december, according to their own recruitment thread.(Not saying that MS doesn't deliver, just using them as an example because I know they are a big unit and they currently rank first in clan wolf ladder)

I suppose the units are ranked purely by the points they generate, not taking in account at all the number of members in the unit, or points per player. Doesn't this give a huge, unfair advantage to big units, so that in fact their performance in the event doesn't matter at all, but they are able to brute force a huge number of points just by having a lot of members?

Another thing about scoring method: don't you think that players who carry the team should be awarded more points than those that just ride the wave? Currently there's no difference between the guy who does 3000 damage and 15 kills for 400 match score and the noob with a trial deck putting out 500 damage to barely pass the 80 point mark. I think a fair method of scoring would be to convert the match score directly to points used in ranking. For the purpose of event rewards, you'd still get 1 point for each match where you get more than 80 match score.

Also, the scores aren't shown in the ladder, how do I know how much our unit is behind the third place? Knowing the score would give us an incentive to try harder even past our personal 50 points, if we knew that the third place was in our reach.

#2 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

I LOL'ed at most of that, but throwing in a top 20 scoreboard for individual pilots would be cool. Maybe do one for total match score and another for best ten games.

#3 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:52 PM

As far as I know the Unit Leaderboard is ranked on wins per player, not match score.

#4 Saace

• PipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

On the other hand, SJR is sitting a top the leader boards for Smoke Jag and they're a rather tiny unit in comparison to most.

#5 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostSaace, on 26 April 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

On the other hand, SJR is sitting a top the leader boards for Smoke Jag and they're a rather tiny unit in comparison to most.

And now they are not.

Besides, that probably tells more about the number of players in Smoke Jaguar ranks than anything else. SJR is also one of the top competitive teams in this game, which means they probably stomp pretty much all of their matches. Most of the top ranked units are not.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

SRoT is #1 for the Steiners, and not 12DG? Seriously?

Edited by Mystere, 26 April 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#7 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

To say mercstar doesnt win most of there games is an insult, i got my 50 games in last night with only two losses to the 228th and i know all of our groups have had the same record so far.

#8 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

View Posthybrid black, on 26 April 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

To say mercstar doesnt win most of there games is an insult, i got my 50 games in last night with only two losses to the 228th and i know all of our groups have had the same record so far.

25 wins, 3 losses, mostly wasted.

#9 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

I have to agree ... MERC star is large but they also win very consistently. We have beat several MS groups in CW but often the match is toss up either way. My record is currently 22 Wins ... 2/3 loses for this event so far. I am just amazed at how efficient MS is run within the Context of CW. That is NOT an easy task to accomplish.

Edited by Crockdaddy, 26 April 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#10 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 26 April 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have to agree ... MERC star is large but they also win very consistently. We have beat several MS groups in CW but often the match is toss up either way. My record is currently 22 Wins ... 2/3 loses for this event so far. I am just amazed at how efficient MS is run within the Context of CW. That is NOT an easy task to accomplish.

the main problem with MS is the officers not letting the good players just play with each other, so MercStar groups very greaty from group to group depending how many carries there are around. today some of the best players just solo droped and linked up that way to aviod the overlords with the whips.

#11 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

View Posthybrid black, on 26 April 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostPineapple Salad, on 26 April 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

(Not saying that MS doesn't deliver, just using them as an example because I know they are a big unit and they currently rank first in clan wolf ladder)

Unit ranking could also use 1 point for each win and -1 point for each loss. This way we could really see units war contribution.

edit: terribad sentence fixed.

Edited by Curccu, 26 April 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#12 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

Anyone writing off MS isn't paying attention. They're big and they win. Yes. The units with larger populations do have advantage on the leader board, but they still have to win games.

#13 Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

Of all the fights (IS side: at moment - 30) that I was with my units and friends, it was 3 losses. And they all clan zerg on generators, two of which they (clanners) did not even score 80 points in the match )))

clan Heroes.)

Edited by Volkodav, 26 April 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#14 thatrobotguy

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:04 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 April 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

SRoT is #1 for the Steiners, and not 12DG? Seriously?

This likely has something to with SRoT being very active in both the EU and NA timezones, while 12DG has a smaller window (and in addition to that, we've been winning a good number of our matches as well)

Honestly i really wish PGI had the scores for the units up, i really want to know how close the other Steiner units are in points to us

Edited by thatrobotguy, 27 April 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#15 Ben Delat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSiegerland

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

The Phoenix Legion would like to know the unit points, too.
But it might be, that pgi doesn t put those points up, so that 2nd or 3rd place don t get discouraged.
I really don t think that any frr unit has got the manpower to push us from 1st place.
but stil we stay vigilant and keep playin and defending that spot at all costs. ;)

#16 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostBen Delat, on 27 April 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

But it might be, that pgi doesn t put those points up, so that 2nd or 3rd place don t get discouraged.
I really don t think that any frr unit has got the manpower to push us from 1st place.
but stil we stay vigilant and keep playin and defending that spot at all costs. ;)

We have been trying pretty hard, but I don't think either ASE or OLD has the numbers to beat you guys. I suspect you already have a pretty overwhelming lead.

Knowing how badly we have been beaten for 1st place would not stop us fighting furiously for 2nd place though. Every morning when we wake up, OLD has taken 2nd place from us during the night, and every evening when we go to sleep, we have regained it. It is a thrilling race between European and American time zones.

ASE WILL BE #2 WHEN THE EVENT ENDS! IT MUST BE SO! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE!

Edited by Gagis, 27 April 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#17 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

View PostBen Delat, on 27 April 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

I was hoping to see you guys in Kurita space. Our EU group has sincerely missed you and the NA group didn't know how much we truly needed you until you guys left. You largely carried Kurita EU Timezone for large chunk of CW.

#18 Ben Delat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSiegerland

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

Thx, crock, for the encouragement.
i believe ut is fitting, that we end this cw cycle, where we started it.
With trusted allies like the faithful ASE at our side.
But be sure, kurita was a really great time, u are one if our favorites and u will see us again. ;)
And ASE, go get this 2nd place. We would be really happy for u!

#19 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

View Posthybrid black, on 26 April 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

the main problem with MS is the officers not letting the good players just play with each other, so MercStar groups very greaty from group to group depending how many carries there are around. today some of the best players just solo droped and linked up that way to aviod the overlords with the whips.

Haha, I heard the griping while dropping with the ultimate "c" team(we had someone asking if we could make sure everyone got their 80 points because some players weren't getting it.) "We could be winning a lot more if all those guys weren't in the solo cue." Funny thing is, the wins came anyways, even with the backpack full of rocks.

#20 Ben Delat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSiegerland

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

I saw a screenshot in den ur forum where one ou ur 12 man groups got beaten by IS pugs. ;)
our drgonzo was on the other side. So u were doomed from the beginning. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users