#1 Phoenix4427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm a returning player from a long time ago. I stopped playing before factions were anything other than an icon in the player profile. I'm don't have a lot of knowledge on the MW universe.

I have tried to research but he following questions remain for me.

1. What is involved in taking a 7day (or longer) contract with a faction like House Davion or Clan Ghost Bear i.e what des it require me to do? I understand it wants m to gain loyalty points but what is actually involved? The rewards are nice (credits and slots) but it is very skimpy on what is involved in completing contracts. Does it simply mean that for 7 days I a part of the faction and I play PUGs as normal or does it involve me completing tasks like team battles etc.

2. It also appears that signing into a contract is purely for the contract period. Does that mean that I should do each of the faction/clan missions to get the Mech Bays for free?

3. Is there any downside or limiting factors to joining a faction?

4. Given that (at the moment) I am purely logging in and driving my favourite Mechs or the one I'm currently working on is there compelling reason to join or not to join a faction/clan? Further is there a difference in which to join?

5. Where does joining a clan lead to in game? Do long term players tend to gravitate to a particular clan and stay there and does it change end game - ie what mechs become available and "clan wars" (sorry WOT player so not sure of correct term)?

Many thanks
Phoenix4427

PS sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I'm sure it is) but I just can't find what I'm looking for.

#2 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

1. You can drop for that faction on CW (community warefare) you'll get attack and defence depending on your choice.
You'll only get loyality points for CW matches. nobody is stopping you from pugging in the normal queue, tho.
the only thing what really matters is, if you take clan or inner sphere, since you can only wield Clan OR IS mechs to CW matches, not both.

2. yup, you should.

3. nope, but remember to bring a set of mechs. clan trail'mechs are teribad. IS isn't that good either. Also, clans got a lot less waiting time to find matches but sometimes there are not enough clan players to form an 12 man group.

4. CW pays rather well, you can drive your favorit and work on your current mechs while earing loyality points. tho, you should be able to help winning the match. difference is only in the titles you earn and some rewards (faction flags etc).

5. Most people going for the early mechbay rewards (so a 7 days contract might be enough) If you're playing CW more often, it's common to sign in as a loyalist (to get the most LP out of a match for the higher tiers and MC rewards).

Edited by LOADED, 26 April 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#3 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

1 - When you join a faction, you will have the opportunity to join community warfare fights on planets that faction can attack. You can, also, join defenses on various planets...not just limited to that faction (more of a clans can help clans, IS can help IS). You don't have to do anything, unless you want to earn loyalty points...then, you need to fight.

You'll earn loyalty points for the battle win or lose. You get bonus in c-bills and loyalty if your team wins. You can get to level 2 in a half-dozen fights, if you do fairly well. Takes much longer to get a rank the farther you go.

Puging it in CW is rather painful, at times; though you can still do well. I pug about 50-60% of the time in CW.

You'll need a drop deck of 240 or 250 tons; you can fill with trials but, for the most part, trials a subpar and handicap you fairly badly. You'll find having your own mechs, set up to your own taste, and skilled up...to be much more effective. Getting into groups help a lot, as well. Most factions have a TS hub separate from the game, as do many units.

Reading the CW map is fairly straight forward. On the upper right will be a box with planet names...the ones in red are those available to be attacked; blue are available to defend..followed by a #/# - 0/0 - no one is there; groups are in 12s so if you see an 11/9 on a red planet, attackers need 1 more for a 12 to drop. Worth dropping on it and trying to get that slot. You can, also queue up and hope you can draw others there to get a drop going. Or, you can use the Looking for group to see if there are any groups needing more folks and are looking.

In time, you'll get used to reading the CW maps and windows. There are a couple threads that cover various parts fairly well in the Community Warfare area.

Also, you can break contracts but, it will cost you 50,000 c-bills per day; maximum being a bit over 1 million.

2 - Might be a good idea to go short for a time. If nothing else to get L2 in each to get extra mechbays fairly fast, if you need them. Though, the bonuses for longer contracts are worth it once you get fairly good at it. Some days can clear an easy 5 million (with premium time), so even breaking permanent contracts isn't too bad, overall.

3 - No real downside that I've seen. That I can think of, any ways.

4 - Not sure what you mean. Only real difference is that IS factions can only drop IS mechs and clans can only drop clan mechs. And remember, you need four mechs for a drop deck.

5 - Clans/factions...same basic idea. Clans can fight clans, if they want. They have a 240 ton drop deck whether fighting clans or IS. IS has a 250 ton drop versus clans and, IIRC, it's still 240 tons versus other IS houses (factions).

It's still beta, the map is getting reset soon and things will continue to change. Frustration level can be high in CW...especially for pugs. There is no ELO matching, and it is much more team focused. Pugging it will hurt, much of the time.

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

240/250 tons dropdeck is the maximum, you don't have to use the full tonnage.
IS vs IS is 250 vs 250 tons as far as i know.

in addition to 5.

there's no list of mechs which a specific faction can use. it was once stated that a faction can only use mechs which are common in the lore (we even got faction themed sales which implied that) but as of now, each IS faction can field ever IS mech and each clan can field every clan mech.

#5 Phoenix4427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:03 PM

Thank you very much for this help.

In summary you would recommend that
1. I get mechs to where I can run 240/250 tons of mechs I am happy with (setups/skills)
2. Join faction No.1 (House Davion I think?) for a 7 day pledge.
3. Do clan deployments to get loyalty points required for level 2 benefits (or above depending on win rate etc)
4. Rinse and repeat for subsequent factions/clans.
5. Evaluate status thereafter and concentrate on higher level earnings all the time making friends within the game and becoming more efficient within the team (as dropping into solo CW seems to be at team work disadvantage)

If this is correct then I am set for the next few months - Many thanks.

What does the other option for Joining factions do - the loyalist pledge. This seems a much more permanent sounding option. Is it simply a permanent contract?

#6 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

It really depends on you. I join the houses/clans for the mechbays.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostPhoenix4427, on 26 April 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

What does the other option for Joining factions do - the loyalist pledge. This seems a much more permanent sounding option. Is it simply a permanent contract?

To pledge loyalty is, as you surmised, to take a permanent contract in a permanent contract you earn LP about faster than with the 4 week contract, and the 4 week contract earns faster than the 1 week contract.
I cannot find the exact amounts right now, but I think it was something along the lines of a 4 week contract earned loyalty points 40% faster than a 1 week contract, with a permanent contract earning twice as fast, but I could not find the patch notes or command chair post then they last updated those numbers so please do not take those numbers as fact.

like the shorter contracts you can pay a fee and break the contract, having never done it I am uncertain about the costs but I think I heard somewhere it was about 1.5 million cbills to break a permanent contract, I could easily be wrong about that.

as for finding a group, that will make it more interesting, when you are ready for that look at the recruitment forums (subforums of Community Warfare) and conciser joining a unit

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:02 AM

We've got an event going on currently.
http://mwomercs.com/tournaments (you have to be logged in to see the page)
so i would recommend to join house kurita (if you think IS might win) or clan wolf ( if you think clans will probably win).
You'll get some goodies if you're on the winning side/faction as well as some goodies for picking a side at all.

there's also a personal challenge going on which might be interesting for you (winnning c-bills, gxp, mc, IS/Clan Assault'mech+mechbay, + stuff)
https://mwomercs.com...type=challenges (must be logged in as well)

but this requires to play a lot of CW matches (15 to 30 matches for the MC rewards and 45 matches with each matchscore above 79 for the assault'mech) which could be a real pain to do in Clan'trail mechs.

Dropweight is only really relevant if you dropping with extremes (like 2 100 ton assaults, which will force you to take 2 light mechs as well)

Loyalist pledge is a contract without timelimit, it just won't expire like the other contract do, it can still be broken (with a 3 day delay like all contracts) but you'll have to pay the highest c-bills sum to get out of the contract (about 1 mil c-bills).
in return you'll get the most rewards of all contracts. That's why people who want to grind out the higher faction ranks usually stick with pledging loyality.

for grinding out the early mechbay rewards, a 7 day contract is more then enough per faction.

tl,tr:

- bet on the winning horse (Wolf) or, if you don't have clanmechs/don't want to use teribad clan'trails (Kurita) for event rewards.

- get eventrewards for personal CW challenge as long as it lasts (which faction doesn't matters, just a matchscore above 79 per game)

- 7 day contract per "free" faction rank 2 mechbay.

- loyalist for later

Edited by LOADED, 27 April 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#9 Phoenix4427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Guys - Much appreciated clarifications.

It would appear my return to MWO may herald another 2 or 3 players returning so this helps them as well.

Cheers!

Phoenix4427

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users