• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,459 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hello, Mechwarriors!

I've noticed that stock 'mech fighting has become a popular thing among many units lately. Be it in the form or Role Play, competition, or even just for fun pugging. I'd like to take a serious stab at making a league for those who want to play with stock 'mechs competitively as well as create a fun outlet for those who Role Play but make it so the Role Play aspect has zero impact on the game play for those who don't know RP or have no interest in it. Simply, make it fun and playable for everyone.

Posted Image

The league would focus on the fight for a specific planet (based on canon history) per season. The initial design for this would be the Battle of Vega in the War of 3039. Meaning, the whole season would focus on this one planet. The general idea is based on a 'Risk-style,' turn-based system. The Battle is between two factions; The DCMS and LCAF/AFFC forces. Units would sign up for either team. Each unit would occupy a piece of territory. There will be a movement phase where units of the same team get together and decided where they want to move tactically. A final order will be put out from each team's CO and the map is updated to reflect those movements. Then, when two opposing units meet in a territory, a battle is held via private lobby (like a scrim) to determine the outcome of that territory. After the fighting is over, the map is again updated and the next movement phase begins.

Each team would accrue points by holding key territories and by winning battles. Teams will lose points for having to move their HQ location around on the map. The two ways to win the campaign and end the season are to accrue "X" amount of points as a team or by capturing the enemy team's HQ territory.

Here are examples:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Full View:

http://imageshack.co...5434/RLPt9C.jpg
http://imageshack.co...2938/wxZ9rP.jpg
http://imageshack.co...7293/6rxnBA.jpg

There's a lot to be hammered out with rules and such but before I spend a lot of time and energy on this, I wanted to test the waters to see if there would be interest in something like this.

Who is interested?

Edited by BlackPhoenix01, 27 April 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#2 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

Interested!

#3 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

Im interested as well. This would be very very cool. Just hope I would have time to commit.

#4 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

very cool idea, posting at BSI for feedback ;)

#5 Simply Sinful

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Very much interested

#6 Hunter Watzas

• PipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

What kind of match sizes are you looking at?

One possibility is including different types of attacks (while trying not to over complicate) say scouting - skirmishes - assault - resource defense/attack, some way of symbolizing convoys of supplies. By attacking these you could limit the drop weight of future matches / mechs usable.

That way smaller coordinated teams say like 4 - 8s could have something to help with.

I would be up for helping you create rules/organization if you decide to proceed

#7 BlackPhoenix01

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

View PostHunter Watzas, on 27 April 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

What kind of match sizes are you looking at?

One possibility is including different types of attacks (while trying not to over complicate) say scouting - skirmishes - assault - resource defense/attack, some way of symbolizing convoys of supplies. By attacking these you could limit the drop weight of future matches / mechs usable.

That way smaller coordinated teams say like 4 - 8s could have something to help with.

I would be up for helping you create rules/organization if you decide to proceed

Simplicity is key here. MCW, which is also somewhat turn based, is a lot of fun but some of the biggest complaints I hear about it are the length of its rules and setup for a simple match.

My goal here is to keep it interesting but streamlined as well. It's always a tough balance to keep it at a point where it may be slightly dull but still fun for major logistical nuts and slightly complicated but still do-able for people who want to just kill mechs.

#8 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

I'm in! I'd love to help with hammering out rules if you need help!

#9 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

I wouldn't be able to make a team for this, but I enjoy playing stock Mechs and would be reasonably available to help fill out someone else's team who needs an extra body.

I'm usually around most nights sometime between 7-10pm US Est.

Cool idea OP^^

#10 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hey BP... could you work up a concept list of Mechs available for this time period with those available for each Faction to give folks some more incentive to participate?

I think this would hammer out some simple details for folks to choose which faction/House they wish to represent in the League.

#11 Vandamsel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:26 PM

Looks awesome BP!

#12 BlackPhoenix01

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:26 AM

PM out to a few of you. I'd love to get a basic rule set and the beginnings of a website up in the next 2-3 weeks. Already at work on the site.

#13 The Bionic Platypus

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Very interested!

Pick a good night to do this each week and you can count me in.

#14 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

Any progress or updates on this idea?

#15 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Good news there has been progress, the rule set is coming together nicely.

The team has been put on break until after Black Phoenix's wedding, since he has the final say with many of the current ideas.

But to hold you over here are some images from Black Phoenix.

http://imagizer.imag...9459/cjNh1F.jpg
http://imagizer.imag...8920/iWvLIk.jpg

Our goal is to bring in strategy, tactics, logistics but also try to keep it simple enough for teams that just want to play.

Edit: Plan is for the team to get back into the swing of things on Monday/Tuesday.

Edited by QueenBlade, 15 May 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#16 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Great! It would be cool if you limited the choice of mechs to whatever is commonly available to the faction. As the season progresses, more mechs become available as salvage, based on winning a match and capturing whatever mechs you killed in the battle.

#17 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostBlackPhoenix01, on 27 April 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

Simplicity is key here. MCW, which is also somewhat turn based, is a lot of fun but some of the biggest complaints I hear about it are the length of its rules and setup for a simple match.

My goal here is to keep it interesting but streamlined as well. It's always a tough balance to keep it at a point where it may be slightly dull but still fun for major logistical nuts and slightly complicated but still do-able for people who want to just kill mechs.

Complaints about length of rules?

Make the rules as specific as possible, please.

#18 Mofwangana Bogogono

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

This sounds like a lot of fun. Any progress?

#19 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

Progress has been slow since BlackPhoenix is still away with his wedding and honeymoon.

Here is a rough draft of the rule set we have thus far. It is not complete as changes are still being made and new ideas come about. We are doing our best to keep with the goal of "a game outside of the game" while also maintaining the drive of keeping it simple for units to play.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users