Everything you never wanted to know about Joysticks

324 replies to this topic

#201 AtomBomb

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Saitek X52 as well.
Looking at possible pedals options.

Edited by AtomBomb, 15 February 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#202 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

CH makes the best sticks IMHO.. Pricey but Quality.

http://www.chproduct.../hand_grip.html

http://www.newegg.co...roducts&x=0&y=0

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 15 February 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#203 Orayn

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostAtomBomb, on 15 February 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Saitek X52 as well.
Looking at possible pedals options.

CH Products' pedals would probably be the way to go. Saitek's are a little sketchy...

#204 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

I'm in the process of picking up a Thrustmaster Warthog to go with my Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

#205 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostZakatak, on 13 February 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Do you HOTAS + Pedal guys use the pedals for turning or torso? I could see how the latter might be disorienting.

I'm certain I'll go pedals for turning and joystick for torso.

Think of it this way - you crest a hill, spot a fast scout running from left to right and wish to engage him. You bring your 'Mech to a stop. As he's running across your HUD you use your joystick to track his movements, as you have both vertical and horizontal axes. If the joystick turned the 'Mech your aim would be thrown off - the entire 'Mech is moving and might make you an easier target to spot. Your weapons also do not make use of reticule movement within the arms' range of motion because joystick moves 'Mech not arms/torso. You never make use of torso twist, or you would have to use two independent inputs (pedals plus joystick) for only 2 axes, and any accidental horizontal movement of the joystick is going to make the 'Mech turn anyway.

Conversely, your joystick moves the torso and pedals turn the 'Mech. You use the joystick to torso twist whilst tracking the scout. One hardware to control both vertical and horizontal targeting. Once your torso reaches the limit, you can use the pedals to turn the 'Mech. Easy.

#206 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

I know I'm wierd, but I love the XBOX 360 controllers and I would love to see computer support for a USB-plugin XBOX controller and be able to program the buttons as I wanted.

I have arthritis and that controller just fits my hands better than most. :ph34r:

#207 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostFelix Dante, on 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

I know I'm wierd, but I love the XBOX 360 controllers and I would love to see computer support for a USB-plugin XBOX controller and be able to program the buttons as I wanted.

I have arthritis and that controller just fits my hands better than most. :D

You can use XBCD to make the Xbox pads work on a PC. The only thing you need is a converter from Xbox to USB for it (you can make it yourself if you open the plug, sordering an usb cable as i did... only to realize they exist and are at ebay) and some drivers.

Since i don't know what operating system you're using, i'll give you links for both 32 and 64 systems.

You can get the 32 bits driver here (web of the author). It gives no problems.

You can grab the 64 bits version here. Windows may tell you the driver is unsigned and exit the installation, so you'll need a little program that overrides that. Here it is

EDIT: you have to run the installer as admin.

If you have any problems, ask :ph34r:

Edited by Caballo, 16 February 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#208 Daleth

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hey Folks. I JUST found out that MW Online is alive again (last I checked was around a year ago) and I am extremely stoked for this! I've got a HOTAS Cougar with pedals and freetrack. I haven't heard much other than HOTAS will be supported. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one here with a HOTAS setup =)

#209 retroboy

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I never played a MW game before and the only controller I have is a USB 360 controller.
I don't think a KB/mouse combination is going to run smoothly on this sort of games.

#210 firefox117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

in your guys opinion, whats the best rudder setup to get with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog?

#211 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Man, I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of my old MS FF 1 stick now. That thing was a tank. I eventually ditched it after not finding a game port card for years and years.

#212 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Postfirefox117, on 22 February 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

in your guys opinion, whats the best rudder setup to get with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog?

I'm going to use my Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

You'd probably need proper flight pedals for this game, if you want to use the toe brakes for jump jets as racing car pedals will only have axis travel.

#213 Evedro Solais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 179 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

Im looking forward to picking up an x52 Pro myself. And I think Ill use the left/right for the torso twist and twisting the joystick for actual turning.

#214 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

I had an X52 pro for a total of 3 days before returning it. Build quality was woeful (I had to modify it just to get the trigger to fire!) and all the plastic panels fit together very poorly. The display on the throttle was always corrupted, and just to get the throttle to work took some very fiddley macros. And after all that, the stick would 'reset' every 10 minutes, and then any game I was in (MWLL mostly) would simply carry on doing what I was doing before it reset. ie if my torso was twisting left, it would twist left until I restarted the game.

Biggest dismantlement I've ever experienced as far as hardware is concerned. I would strongly recommend that no one get that piece of hardware. I'm still on the market for a HOTAS setup that wont bankrupt me.

#215 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostRAINMANSlayer, on 28 November 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

I played MPBT Solaris on Aol and Gamestrom and used a MS Sidewinder and loved it but they are not made anymore. So I am looking for a new joystick and wanted to know what you are using or plan on using.

Man that game and sidewinder is ancient O_O

#216 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've been considering getting a CH products joystick + throttle + pedals. What joystick would you recommend? The figherstick or the combatstick? In addition, how does the build quality feel? I absolutely HATE being able to notice even small rattling, loose plastic, etc on the hardware. Its for this reason I've been considering holding off until I get enough cash for a Thrustmaster Warthog, because I hear the build quality is unbeatable on those. However, I am not made of money, and, from what I've gathered, the quality of CH products is very high and they have great performance.

Edit: I had also been considering the new Logitech G940 system, because that's a pretty good deal to get a stick, throttle, and pedals all for 270$.

Edited by Orzorn, 26 February 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#217 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I've owned or used basically most of the HOTAS out there right now.

I've owned a TM Cougar, Logitech G940, Saitek X65, Saitek X52, Saitek X52-Pro, Saitek X45, Microsoft Sidewinder Pro (not technically a HOTAS, but here for comparison), CH Figherstick + Throttle.

I've used (borrowed from friends who have them) a TM Warthog, TM T-flight, Saitek Cyborg.

Basically the Sidewinder, and the CH sticks are the only ones that stand up to time and abuse. The Thrustmaster sticks aren't bad, but are overly priced. The warthog is a terror right now for the price, but one assumes they'll work the kinks out of it in the next year or so (or at least I would hope so). Either way, the controls on it aren't as conducive to "arcade" games like MW or space flight games as the other ones. If you have a cougar, and it's holding up, then there's no reason to replace it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one when you can just get the CH stuff for cheaper/easier.

If you want to spend more than $100, I strongly suggest the CH figherstick and CH throttle. Quality is top notch, they last for ever. It's about $150-200 online for the pair.

Saitek's quality control is TERRIBLE. I went through 3 X52-Pros before I bought the X65, and it sucked too. And by going through, I mean major failure. I've had to take each of them apart and resolder broke connections, re-wire the stick wires that sheer at the gimbles, etc. They look cool, and they're cheap, but they break, often. That said, I've had good luck with the Pro Combat Pedals, but then again they're almost $200 on their own.

If you want to spend less than $100, I'd say get the Thrustmaster T-Flight. It's cheap as hell, and when it breaks, you can just toss it out and not be out that much. That said, the friend I have with one, it's still going strong. He went through an untold number of cyborgs before I got him to buy the T-flight. Seriously, like double digit numbers of them.

CH, looks terrible, but it's comfy, it lasts, and if it doesn't, they're good about support (not that mine have ever broken, but I've read about it on the CH forums).

#218 Kecyre

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

if I can use the HOTAS and pedals I will have them ordered on Amazon ASAP. I have waited for this for a long time.

#219 Chapel976

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Posted Image
Here's my setup (yes, I'm still playing XWing Alliance... yes it runs awesome with a GTX570 and 2 4-core i7-based Xeons)

#220 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

i voted "other" my ideal controller would be the Atlas cockpit as seen in the trailer :) i have loved the idea since MW2.
one day......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users