I've Heard "shutdown Is Right Around The Corner" For The Past 1.5 Years...

95 replies to this topic

#21 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Didn't you hear? When you push O, override shutdown stays switched on.

#22 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'm wondering if we have more players now than when the game initially hit open beta. Of course, we'll never know since the guy who coded the original player counter left and PGI can't recreate it.

As long as there are enough to play the game, when I want to play the game, I don't really care how many others are out there. However, I'd be surprised if the player base wasn't bigger now than then.

#23 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'm wondering if we have more players now than when the game initially hit open beta. Of course, we'll never know since the guy who coded the original player counter left and PGI can't recreate it.

Posted Image

#24 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostBilbo, on 01 May 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

As long as there are enough to play the game, when I want to play the game, I don't really care how many others are out there. However, I'd be surprised if the player base wasn't bigger now than then.

True but do you feel normal (not-Tukayyid) CW wait times are healthy?

You'd agree that a bigger player base is better for the game's life, no? I'll play CW when it's not so chokepoint based and the wait times drop. I waited 2 years for it, so what's another 1 or 2?

#25 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 01 May 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

True but do you feel normal (not-Tukayyid) CW wait times are healthy?

You'd agree that a bigger player base is better for the game's life, no? I'll play CW when it's not so chokepoint based and the wait times drop. I waited 2 years for it, so what's another 1 or 2?

I was at my limit when I was dropping every ~10 minutes or so...then I started to get pushed to the back of line and went back to the public queue. If it weren't for the event I wouldn't even have waited around for the 7 drops I did make.

#26 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Just wait. These same SC fanboys? they were here for MWO in the beginning. And when it didnt turn out the way they imagined it, they cried promises were broken (which werent lol) and tried to torch it. But it didnt work. And guess what? they will do the exact same thing when SC comes out and its not what they magically hoped it would be. Chris roberts has his check, and will keep getting those checks. But theres no way SC could ever live up to these guys dreams. But the best part? They still come around MWO forums, talking trash, like that ex you broke up with who says they hate you but keeps coming up with reasons to talk to you...

There is a whole lot of that kind of "I am paying to make my own game" kind of sentiment and those are probably the guys that jumped to the next trendy crowdfunded game just like you described. However, you can count me among the people that were founders and do not feel like we got the game that was being talked about at the time still to this very day all of these years later. Not even talking features/content the unfinished feel of the game just drives me NUTS.

1. Patch after patch that adds to the list of bugs rather than reducing it. Why does it seem like every patch the quality of the game feels WORSE due to the ever increasing amount of bugs?
2. This kind of goes with #2......the unfinished feel of the game is enhanced by how in drop after drop there are numerous DCs, lagouts, CTDs, etc. Every time I have one arm exposed on my 'mech and fire at something barely peeking out and see my lasers stopping in midair 7 meters from an object that must project some invisible force field I cringe. How about all of those 'mechlab bugs? Modules that won't stay equipped, 'mechs that suddenly give you "warning, no weapons equipped" and you have to tab over and tab back....need I go on?
3. In many ways it feels as if the game is moving back, not forward. The graphics seem to get progressively worse (even though the framerates are still terrible, even on a high-end PC) and so many nice little details/polish from beta are no longer in the game. Every time I clip through a player or they bump me and I teleport, I cringe.
4. Pretty sick of the knee-jerk "balancing decisions" made where they cave in to complainers.

Anyway, not to be too "doom and gloom" as obviously I have never quit and never will due to my love of the franchise (and serious dough invested) but anyone that tries to paint a picture of "MWO has been perfect and ignore the haters" sounds pretty gullible in my book.

At least the art department is great (though I agree that the trend of "unlocking" camo always leading to it looking worse is troubling) and I love how my favorite 'mechs have been implemented into the game and clearly they are not the ones responsible for the rampant scaling issues. I also think that the 'mechlab is the best since MW2, I love tinkering around with omnipods and weapons.

If they even made an attempt to remove all the glitches/bugs and other weird stuff (terrible terrain hitboxes and 'mech collisions, terrain you can both walk through and get stuck on, LOL) and put out some new maps while reworking what we have now while giving us a reason not to just form 12 man death balls (depth of play is SERIOUSLY lacking--the only real depth is in the 'mechlab) 99% of my complaints would go away.

Wow....now that I look back at this post I ended up on kind of a rant.....sorry for the wall of text.

TL/DR version: MWO has issues that are probably not as bad as the most toxic people claim but things are not as rosy as the white knights say it is either.

Edited by Kain Thul, 01 May 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#27 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

Pretty sure if the majority of the whales were to decide to stop spending money all together this game probably would go on life support for a little while then then shut down.

Lets say this last another five years...do you really think we will have any good new game modes? Single player? Anything than what we have now?

#28 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostHeffay, on 01 May 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

You want to see a sea of angst and continual predictions of the death of MWO going on 3 years?

https://forums.rober...hwarrior-online

It's a very cathartic thread. It's like reading Dear Abby. You can't help but feel better after reading it, knowing that you're not those people.

That thread isnt locked? I havent looked at it since they banned me cause the forums guy didnt like me. And Heff can back me up on that one lol

#29 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

You want to see a sea of angst and continual predictions of the death of MWO going on 3 years?

It's a very cathartic thread. It's like reading Dear Abby. You can't help but feel better after reading it, knowing that you're not those people.

Hilarious! :) ... way more vitriol in the MWO thread on the Star Citizen forums than here these days.

At least we know where Vassago has gone. He had some good opinions and I frequently agreed with them but reading his last few posts at the end of that thread he seems to have a major grudge against MWO these days.

#30 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 May 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

What is with all the people always trying connect this game to SC? A bunch of people I used to play with quit this game for SC and are always trying to suck more people into that pyramid scheme and it seems SC's playerbase is full of former MWO players.

Star Citizen is catnip to all the amateur gaming critics out there. Every jilted gamer who's ever been mad at a disappointing title or a noncommunicative studio and thinks it's his God-given mission to attack mediocrity in gaming, gets swept up by the silver tongue and sheer ambition of Chris Roberts.

Whether he'll actually be able to deliver on his dizzyingly high promises remains to be seen. For now, they've got a partially functional game and I congratulate them for that. But the fun of Star Citizen, at this point, still rests more with imagining than actually playing.

#31 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 May 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Star Citizen is catnip to all the amateur gaming critics out there. Every jilted gamer who's ever been mad at a disappointing title or a noncommunicative studio and thinks it's his God-given mission to attack mediocrity in gaming, gets swept up by the silver tongue and sheer ambition of Chris Roberts.

Whether he'll actually be able to deliver on his dizzyingly high promises remains to be seen. For now, they've got a partially functional game and I congratulate them for that. But the fun of Star Citizen, at this point, still rests more with imagining than actually playing.

Correct.

Is this a troll only topic? Um nevermind.

#32 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 May 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

The disappointment will be VAST. You can't please everyone--they aren't going to be making 1 million different games tailored to each players' uber-fantasy.

Edited by Kain Thul, 01 May 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#33 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 May 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

The disappointment will be VAST. You can't please everyone--they aren't going to be making 1 million different games tailored to each players' uber-fantasy.

Players have wanted a sci-fi SIM for decades. Mechwarrior and Star Citizen prove that.

#34 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the link, that thread and certain links it contained were remarkably informative - disappointing but still nice to have long standing suspicions finally confirmed with proof anyone can verify for himself or herself.

As for "death of MWO," I expect a lot of people will keep paying & playing for at least a few more years. I won't sugarcoat or pretend - there have been a LOT of failures getting MWO from closed beta to the state it's in now, and there's a LOT of room for improvement still. I'm still hopeful it will turn into a much better game than it is right now, because I believe the potential is there. At the same time, I'm not feeling strongly confident about that hope becoming reality, so my wallet's staying closed until I see more positive progress. I'm not a Pollyanna or a doomsayer, I just call it like I see at the time.

#35 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

arent they putting something into SC that lets you make your own game? As Ive heard for a fairly long time about how ppl are gonna make mechwarrior in SC

#36 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

Star Citizen. Lol. A game that's missed more deadlines than MWO. Has about as much playable content and what little content there is that's out is just rife with bugs as MWO.

I got a refund on my Star Citizen ship after Arena Commander came out and I realized it wasn't what it was hyped up to be. Best refund I ever got back.

#37 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Just wait. These same SC fanboys? they were here for MWO in the beginning. And when it didnt turn out the way they imagined it, they cried promises were broken (which werent lol) and tried to torch it. But it didnt work. And guess what? they will do the exact same thing when SC comes out and its not what they magically hoped it would be. Chris roberts has his check, and will keep getting those checks. But theres no way SC could ever live up to these guys dreams. But the best part? They still come around MWO forums, talking trash, like that ex you broke up with who says they hate you but keeps coming up with reasons to talk to you...

QFT.

#38 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 01 May 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Lets say this last another five years...do you really think we will have any good new game modes? Single player? Anything than what we have now?

I'd give it the end of this year. Maybe two at the worst.

I wish it were sooner, but in all honesty...then again, since last August PGI has been dropping surprises here and there, though I think they're still trying to build up steam again. (lol no pun intended)

#39 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

While I have significant concerns about some of the directional decisions that have been made throughout the history of MWO since I joined back in August 2012, I'd like to think that MWO has a sufficiently large player base that predictions of imminent doom remain unfounded.

There have been times that I've face-palmed and thought to myself "Holy design decisions Batman, what in the name of humanity were they thinking?!!??!?" and there have been times that I've thought that PGI have got things absolutely right. I'm tending towards very cautious optimism at the moment, though I do still worry at the frequency of packs containing shiny ephemeral nonsense being released when compared to the frequency of actual content being released.

#40 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for keeping our already super popular mega thread relevant forever, Heffay. You can't actually pay for marketing this good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users