I've Heard "shutdown Is Right Around The Corner" For The Past 1.5 Years...

95 replies to this topic

#81 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

long story short MWO isn't going to die anytime soon. anyone who thinks so doesn't understand reality.

I personally do think that PGI will need a new source of revenue down the road. Each successive mech pack is becoming less valuable because of the sheer number of mechs - it's nearing possible to do anything new under the sun anymore.

And most people are forgetting that MechWarrior has always been a PvE franchise. There are, in fact, people out there who have commented that they won't even play this game until it gains an element of missions. It's an entire untapped market.

#82 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 May 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

I personally do think that PGI will need a new source of revenue down the road. Each successive mech pack is becoming less valuable because of the sheer number of mechs - it's nearing possible to do anything new under the sun anymore.

And most people are forgetting that MechWarrior has always been a PvE franchise. There are, in fact, people out there who have commented that they won't even play this game until it gains an element of missions. It's an entire untapped market.

I disagree make packs of what make me spend money. but you misunderstand I'm not saying PvE is bad or shouldn't be included. I'm just saying its not worth going to save this game because for 60 bucks which is the price of a mid-tier Macpac the desert going to do how much work? and personally I think the only way to play a mech where your game is against the law because I'm smarter than any they come up with for a video game. would they make some money yes but I don't think its equivalent in profit for work expended to make packs also I hate voice to text

#83 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

As far as a different way to generate revenue, they will eventually need to focus on cosmetics as a reoccuring revenue stream, rebalance things like chassis pattern unlocks, adding decals, and fixing and adding new camo patterns.

#84 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

For a total troll topic there are some good replies, and yes all the trolls showed up to. :)

The guys making this game say this is a big year and its shaping up to be a big year. Going to be VERY interesting. Been around since closed beta and everything has been down played in fact. Some may argue but I seriously havnt seen hype/tension build before like this whole pre Steam launch thing. Make or break time maybe? Like i said its going to be interesting. No pressure to the guys making the game lol.

#85 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

Oh this thread is going places >_>

Why do people troll so hard?

Death of the game will come...but so does it all.

#86 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Someone that constantly says shutdown is right around the corner will eventually be right. Eventually... like the people that keep saying the world is about to end. In both cases, when it happens, no one will care who or even remember who predicted it.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 01 May 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#87 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

I guess there will always be the black knights, but this is nothing.

These days, everyone admits that PGI is at least trying to produce a playable game.

Who remembers 'vaporware?'

Edited by Tycho von Gagern, 01 May 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#88 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

This thread is hilarious! ROFL!

Posted Image

Edited by Lindonius, 01 May 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#89 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Im my opinion the servers don't need to go dark for the game to be "dead".

CW sucks, nobody plays it, the official forum population for it is just as much of a ghost town.

Constant selling of new mechs. Map production is very slow at best, real depth and features are non-existent.

Studio seems to get smaller and smaller, the good engineers are moving on. Its as if the studio is becoming as minimally viable as the game itself. I mean, what else can they do now? They cant even work with the code anymore. When you are dealing with a commmunity as tiny as mwo it wouldnt make sense for them to take risk, hire a bunch of people to develop real content. Nope, not worth the risk. Just keep selling mechs and ride it out for as long as possible. Its just done, guys. There is nothing left here to do except collect virtual content (mechs). If you like doing that, then fine.

Edited by White Panther, 01 May 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#90 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 01 May 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

that is not view friend. those are the facts. now you can say that you were unhappy but that does not mean that the people who flip the f*** out we're right

I agree about the people who flip out, but to say PGI never lied is a stretch, Like I said look at the my Sig, read that quote, they used the work Never, and of course we all know how that turned out. To simply say what Vass posted is in valid because the work "promise" is not in there is naive, the simple fact (since you like those) is they missed more release dates from mid 2012 and all 2013 than they hit, in fact I don't think the hit any release dates that PGI gave for major features during that time.

There was plenty of crap PGI was terrible at they are getting better, and probably the biggest thing they did was stop giving hard dates and also giving a pretty consistent I never held any vision for MWO that was any more than what PGI put out there. They still have to deliver on a lot that.

The Wave 1 Clan pack was a Huge P2W deal, the Timberwolf Dire and StormCrow were incredibly OP when they first came out, and they were like that for about 2 months or so before the started nerfing erppc heat and jump jets. Even then until the Timber Came out for C-bills towards they were still the best mech in the game that you had to pay money for and remain the best mech in the game to this day.

As far as your part analogy, imagine if you told a customer, hey I should have that part for you next Tuesday, but on Tuesday you did not get the part did not tell the customer the part was not in, and then ignore'd the customers call for the next 2 weeks, and then when you finally spoke with customer told him that part should be in 2 weeks from now. That is exactly what PGI was doing between mid 2012 to Jan 2014.

It is history, and PGI is doing a better job of communicating as I said. However I am of the mindset of I can forgive, but I won't forget, that way history will not repeat itself.

At some point PGI/MWO has to mature beyond Mech Packs being the only source of large revenue streams, if they do not thier will come a time when that will not be enough. As I said I a have only missed the Saber Pack, and the Wave 1 clan pack, but I am probably going to skip this one as I have enough mechs and enough cbill to but all the variants when they come out.

#91 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 May 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

I am sorry to contradict you, your answer is flawed in the case of nothing new for the mechs, I guess you are not a Tabletop player and therefore have not got any of the technical Readouts otherwise you would not have made that misjudgement. PGI are now in the 5050/52 Technical readout, there are no IS light Gauss, Utlras (2, 10 and 20) no MRMs, no Clan Heavy Lasers and so on and so fort, there are literally 100s of new mechs with new weapons and possiblities that have not even come up yet in a discussion, just thinking of my Fireball makes me happy, Check it out it is a beaut, all the Clan IICs that are missing and and and, if we just wait for those mechs we have another 10 to 15 years of playtime left.

My advice to you would be to get a hold of the BT rulebooks and have a peek inside them and check out the Tecknical Readouts 3067 onwards. XXL engines lighter gyros and what not. basically they have not even scratched the surface of the TT game.

Edit: Me and my typos but then what the hell I am a dyslexic in 3 lanuages LOL

Edited by Eric Wulfen, 02 May 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#92 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 May 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

I run a business too. If I tell someone somethign will be ready next monday and it is in fact not ready until Tuesday I may likely lose that customer forever, or at least in the short term.

I cannot imagine what my reputation would be like if I missed a deadline by 1.5-2 years.

I may not own a business, but I do work in retail. If it has taught me anything, if you tell your clientele you can do something, but then later on find out that you cannot honor what you told them, then you BETTER explain in concise detail why you cannot honor your word, or in the very least do what you can to make it up to your client, otherwise not only WILL you lose their custom, but they will think twice before recommending you to their friends and colleagues. Nothing kills a business faster than a poor reputation.

#93 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 01 May 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Because History shapes our present and determines our future.

Fixed that for you.

#94 Sizzles

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

This game was actually shut down in early 2013.

Since then . . . every round that you played, every post that you made and read, its all been in your head.

And whenever you exit the game, or close out your browser, the nurse is standing there waiting to take you out of your padded cell to get some fresh air.

#95 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:19 AM

So many communities say "this game is dying" yet all those games still live and live and live since years and for years.

XD the internet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users