10 replies to this topic

#1 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Never made a tutorial before but I thought I'd give it a go. There are lots of great tutorials on specific issues but none for the player that likes to figure things out for them self. This is supposed to be just enough information to get someone playing the game. If they like the game, they can find out more information later.

The guide part is only 4mins, the rest of the match goes on for another 4

Edited by K1ttykat, 05 May 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

Strange how PGI has been unable to produce a video tutorial like this.

#3 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

I suggest this becomes the in-game tutorial.

#4 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

that akward moment when you indeed realise...this is the best tutorial so far

#5 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Great tutorial.

The only thing I disagree with is lowering the sensitivity. This should be a preference not a must and could actually hinder some players with certain mice setups and sensitivity preferences. For example I've always played with very high sens. I understand that some people equate low sensitivity with accuracy, but this is absolutely a thing of preference.

I've been playing FPSs for a long time and know that low sens is preferred by most players, but this will serve no purpose, but to confuse new players as to why they should do that.

Maybe "set the desired sensitivity" would be a better call. Other then that, very well put together, extremely simple, extremely down to the point and sure to set new players on the right path.

View PostRyokens leap, on 06 May 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

That's because everything they do "takes a huge amount of time" or "they currently have resources allocated in another place" oh and its probably "in the beta" or "beta 2"... and disregard the obvious fact that 1 man would spend 1 day on creating this tops. Probably 2-3 hours if they have worked with things like this before.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

Lowering sensitivity is always a good call for me. I see so many new players unable to aim due to their mouse swaying wildly all over the place.

The only thing I think is missing is teaching about missile lock on.

#7 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 09 May 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

The only thing I disagree with is lowering the sensitivity.

I could have said "I highly recommend lower sensitivity" but the majority of people find that low sensitivity is just better for MWO. Unlike other fps games like CS/COD, being able to quickly snap to target is much less important than accuracy and the ability to make fine adjustments in aim. Making fine adjustments is probably the biggest reason to lower sensitivity as it is very difficult on a high sensitivity setting.

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 06 May 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds

#9 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

This is a great tutorial.

I've taken the liberty of referring it to a new player on the following topic:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4421934

Thank you for this and I'm certain many more new users will appreciate your work.

#10 Sovery_Simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Would explain what arm lock does rather than tell them to turn it off immediately. It can be beneficial for helping them focus their fire until they're ready to start dealing with arms de-sync'ed from the torso. Which would be after they have a decent basis on controlling their mechs movement, and allows them to function without having to deal with arm weapon groups vs torso weapon groups right at the start. Then mention the differences later in the video.

Throttle decay is a preference thing but they'd have to know about X giving them a full stop if they were to turn it off, so probably ahead to leave that on at first, agreed on leaving it on to start.

(This was from watching to the 4 minute mark)

Overall, it's a good introduction for newbies, good work!

Edit: Probably ahead to cut out the rest of the match, or barring that, keep elaborating information during it, to help convey more information. I'd opt for just cutting it out and making it a separate video (perhaps titled as a second video "A tutorial for your first match in MWO"?)

Edited by Whoops, 15 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#11 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostWhoops, on 15 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Throttle decay is a preference thing

Throttle decay on is actually better because it enables you to accelerate slightly faster than if you have throttle decay off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users