• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 57 posts
  • LocationKráľovce, Slovakia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:09 AM

My laptop:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2520 (2.50GHz)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6450M (1GB)
RAM: 4GB (DDR3, 1333MHz [not really sure about those, that's what I found on the net])
(Laptop is Toshiba Tecra R850-154)

MechWarrior Online Recommended System Spec:
CPU: Core i3-2500 / AMD Athlon II X4 650
GPU:GeForce GTX 285 / Radeon HD 5830
RAM: 8 GB
DirectX: DX9
HDD Space: 8 GB

I am no expert in computers, so I decided to ask you, fellow warriors.
I run the game on the LOW settings and I manage to get 30 FPS on maps with no special effects or wild lighting like Forest Colony or Frozen City Night. But then there are some maps like Minning Collective that make my FPS drop to 20. I noticed that I probably am (not really sure, I am mostly console player so this things are kinda alien to me) a slightly above recommended specs, except for the RAM. So my question is: "Would upgrade to 8GB of RAM make any difference (at least +5 FPS)?"

I don't have enough money to buy a better gaming laptop and probably won't be able to any time soon. So this is probably the only way how to improve my FPS a little bit. Is it worth the money spent, or should I just grit my teeth and somehow live with my current situation? I really love this game, already spent some money on it, and I would like to enjoy it as much as possible.

#2 SwalerD

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

More RAM never hurts, although it's not really going to help you much here I'm afraid. The issue here is your GPU. The 6450M has had terrible reviews across the board as far as a gaming GPU goes, hell, even my extremely dated nVidia GT 430 performs better than that chip pushing out a nice, steady 60fps on high settings.

I've done some research into the 6450M recently as I was looking to get a new system and there's a lot of so-called "gaming" systems that have this chip as an on-board GPU to keep the cost down. While this can be rectified for a desktop system I can't really advise you on a laptop as I have no experience with them. As far as I know it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade a laptop GPU without knowing EXACTLY what you are doing. Maybe there's some techheads here that can advise you on this, but unfortunately for the moment you're kind of stuck with low framerates.

Find out first if anything can be done about the GPU before splashing out on more RAM as I don't believe extra RAM is going to solve the problem. You might be best off just saving that cash towards a better system....

If it's any consolation, my GPU's too pants to play dying light....>.<

All the best.

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

OP - If you can get an 8GB dual-channel (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9, we might be able to squeek out another 1-2fps (that is, if the system will support it). 5fps+ consistently across the board? I suppose it may be possible with all of the below, but it is kind of a shot in the dark.

Other changes I'm talking about: setting the CPU power in the windows power settings to 99% instead of 100%, using a core parking program to unpark CPU cores, using a driver specifically made for overclocking your GPU (or reinstalling fresh Windows and using fresh mobile drivers from AMD), having a pretty high-flow cooling pad for the laptop, opening the laptop to put high-end thermal paste like MX-2 or MX-4 on the CPU and GPU cores, making modifications to the user.cfg file for MWO.

^not necessarily in this order, btw - user.cfg usually comes first.

#4 Danielio97

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 57 posts
  • LocationKráľovce, Slovakia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the quick responses.

View PostSwalerD, on 06 May 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

As far as I know it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade a laptop GPU without knowing EXACTLY what you are doing.

Read several pages about that, it looks like this one is impossible to remove. Oh well, couldn't expect more from a office laptop... At least I'm able to play :D

View PostSwalerD, on 06 May 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

You might be best off just saving that cash towards a better system....

Yeah, was thinking about that. I can only hope that my laptop will survive next two years, by that time I should be able to save up for something decent, like Lenovo Y series, or some ROG laptop. Wasn't thinking about a desktop, since I move around a lot.

View PostxWiredx, on 06 May 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Other changes I'm talking about: setting the CPU power in the windows power settings to 99% instead of 100%, using a core parking program to unpark CPU cores, using a driver specifically made for overclocking your GPU (or reinstalling fresh Windows and using fresh mobile drivers from AMD), having a pretty high-flow cooling pad for the laptop, opening the laptop to put high-end thermal paste like MX-2 or MX-4 on the CPU and GPU cores, making modifications to the user.cfg file for MWO.

Thanks for the advice. I already did some modifications to user.cfg before, gonna check if there is something new to that. I guess I will be able to somehow do everything you listed, except for that cooling paste. I have a cooling pad, let's hope that will be enough.

Thank you very much!

#5 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

Only thing possible really with a Laptop is More RAM and replacing the HDD With a SSD, Both of those should help, Though it won't make much of a difference it might give you anywhere from 1-5 FPS, if that. MWO is very CPU Intensive and that 2.5GHz Dual Core i5 Isn't Doing you Any Flavors, Plus the Crappy GPU Don't Help Either. instead of spending the Money on more RAM or a SSD, I Think you would be Better off Saving to Build a Desktop unless you Need a Laptop for whatever reason then I'd save up a MINIMUM of $1K for a New Laptop.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

SSDs do -not- increase fps by even .0001fps. Near-useless upgrade for gaming.

As far as the cooling pad goes, I hope you're talking about a Cooler Master X3-type cooling pad and not a $20 one from Best Buy. I mean, seriously, anything less isn't going to help at all. The best cooling pads are only reducing CPU temps by a few degrees.

I'll sell you my laptop if you have a spare $1450 lying around. Barely used, upgraded, meant for gaming, not living out its dream since I no longer travel often enough to care. Plays MWO pretty well with mixed medium+high settings (mostly high). Otherwise, keep saving those pennies and remember that you'll be aiming for a mobile i7 and mid-range gaming GPU (so between $1000-1500).

#7 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 06 May 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

SSDs do -not- increase fps by even .0001fps. Near-useless upgrade for gaming.

I agree about FPS, But not Useless for Gaming, They'll help Reduce Loading Screen and Texture Loading Times, Likely reduce whatever stuttering that would occur from stuff loading/popping in also, So While it wont give FPS, it MAY Make it more stable as far as stuff loading in is occurred, a Good Internet Connections would also help also to reduce stuttering from Lag/Rubberbanding, ETC.

#8 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

If its not a discrete card then the only way to remove it is to find another chip/gpu that is within the power limits of the motherboard, biggest concern is cooling the new GPU. One could remove it with a solder iron and a roll of copper solder tape to soak up the solder while heating it. Then you must solder on the new chip/GPU after making sure you have it lined up right. Impossible? No its not Impossible, not sure if anyone here remembers the Apple Ibook 4's or not, but they had many problems with the GPU running to hot and causing the solder to break lose from the mother board, giving us that oh so great white screen of death.

I have repaired a few of them in my day, with several methods. The hardest is to try and solder the pins back on... there are just to many of them and they are very close together on the motherboard. There are places that have machines that you send your laptop off to, and they line it up with software, and a machine solders it in place. Could I do it, ha ha maybe, but it is a challenge for sure and easy to brick if you don't have steady hands.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 15 May 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

As previously mentioned about windows power setting, this disables turbo boost but you may need to set it at 98% instead of at 99%.

http://www.tautvidas...el-turbo-boost/

Nvida UI, set Power Management mode to max performance to prevent graphics switching to on-cpu GPU (intel 3000).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 May 2015 - 10:51 PM.

#10 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

Use throttlestop to set the cpu speeds

#11 Capt_Kobalt

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

You need a R9-290 X card! and at least 8 gig ram. 16 would be better. Heck I run 32 Gig, then set up a ram drive if your running a standard hard drive, If SSD no need.

#12 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Ok to clarify:

1) 8 gig of ram will increase your overall system performance - responsiveness - and how fast things load ... may give 1-2 fps
2) using throttle stop to run your cpu at its max speed will be most beneficial
3) you need to watch for temperatures so redo the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu
4) you may overclock your GPU using msi afterburner too

2+4 = 5fps easy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users