9 replies to this topic

#1 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Sorry I was tired and drunk when I wrote this. Basically everyone is burned out from Tukayyid and game balance is an ongoing battle.

Edited by Alec Braca, 06 May 2015 - 05:09 PM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

The Arctic Cheetah is theoretically going to be one of the best lights in the game. When it hits, since it's going to be as close to an IS light as clan lights get, while packing clan grade weaponry.

As for the cries for balance, we all know the game isn't balanced that well. It could use more work. That's why there's at least one balance thread every day or two, discussing it.

I personally think the chassis themselves, are balanced, we just need to tweak the quirks, and some of the weapons (namely bring the heat of the IS ML, and SPL down by 1 point, back to their original stat, and things of that nature).

I love that there is variety and distinction between the two factions, and I want that to stay. Events like Tukayyid allow us to see what works, what doesn't, and what works too well. So they can help bring us closer to good balance.

#3 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

... I have NO Idea what this is about, unless it's some kind of call to boycott the game somehow? Or an argument that the Clans are overpowered, but that's ok? Or...?

I cannot parse this nonsense, except to disagree that the Clan Omnis are clearly superior to Inner Sphere Battlemechs overall. The Clans' advantage in PuG matches stems from how the game conditions people toward ranged combat, but that's another thread.

I really cannot parse what the OP is trying to say.

#4 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 May 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

As for the cries for balance, we all know the game isn't balanced that well. It could use more work. That's why there's at least one balance thread every day or two, discussing it.

Not actually true. The reason why there is a new balance thread every day or so is because: 1. posters want to start their own threads instead of posting on (and reading) existing topics, and 2. Some players will always believe that this or that thing is Broken and Needs to be Fixed Right Now.

Allow me an example from another game: all through vanilla Wow, there were threads in the Mage forums whining bitter little magical girl tears about Shamans. Boo- hoo, they can interrupt polymorph, and grounding totem, and then chase us down and kill us with no-skill "WINfury." The irony was that at the time there was no excuse for any PvP specced Mage to ever lose to a Shaman the Mage saw coming (because Improved Counterspell; long explanation, take my word for it.) Yet the tears still flowed, and the Mage forum was constantly barraged with calls to nerf Shamans.

This is no different. Real balance issues certainly exist, but that's ironically got nothing to do with the creation of balance threads. Just look at the threads and count the number of people who actually understand the issue they're discussing. =)

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 06 May 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

... I have NO Idea what this is about, unless it's some kind of call to boycott the game somehow? Or an argument that the Clans are overpowered, but that's ok? Or...?

I cannot parse this nonsense, except to disagree that the Clan Omnis are clearly superior to Inner Sphere Battlemechs overall. The Clans' advantage in PuG matches stems from how the game conditions people toward ranged combat, but that's another thread.

I really cannot parse what the OP is trying to say.

I think the OP is trying to say "pipe down with all the 'nerf this, nerf that' talk". We had a big battle, it's done now, no need to drag this out any further.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I can see that as a possibility, but I'm not sure it fits... oh, he was drunk and edited the post. No worries, man! :lol:

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 06 May 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

Not actually true. The reason why there is a new balance thread every day or so is because: 1. posters want to start their own threads instead of posting on (and reading) existing topics, and 2. Some players will always believe that this or that thing is Broken and Needs to be Fixed Right Now.

Allow me an example from another game: all through vanilla Wow, there were threads in the Mage forums whining bitter little magical girl tears about Shamans. Boo- hoo, they can interrupt polymorph, and grounding totem, and then chase us down and kill us with no-skill "WINfury." The irony was that at the time there was no excuse for any PvP specced Mage to ever lose to a Shaman the Mage saw coming (because Improved Counterspell; long explanation, take my word for it.) Yet the tears still flowed, and the Mage forum was constantly barraged with calls to nerf Shamans.

This is no different. Real balance issues certainly exist, but that's ironically got nothing to do with the creation of balance threads. Just look at the threads and count the number of people who actually understand the issue they're discussing. =)

I'm familiar with the shitstorm that is the WoW shaman forums actually, there was a time when the witch doctor occupied that place. Don't know if it's still the case now.

Also, I agree that a lot of people will whine and complain about balance, because they think something is OP, because it killed them. However, even serious players, recognize that balance still leaves much to be desired. More in the Matchmaking department, than the mech, and tech departments.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

They have Witch Doctors in WoW? This was back before the Burning Crusade and the Shaman rework.

In any case, my point was just that the correlation of balance threads being created and balance issues actually existing does not indicate a causal relationship. ;]

Also, I hate Mages to this day.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 06 May 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

They have Witch Doctors in WoW? This was back before the Burning Crusade and the Shaman rework.

In any case, my point was just that the correlation of balance threads being created and balance issues actually existing does not indicate a causal relationship. ;]

Also, I hate Mages to this day.

(it's a healer path) I also agree with your point. This has been a good talk. XD

Edited by IraqiWalker, 06 May 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

Ooooh, I see. I dropped out of WoW during Cataclysm. Too many of my friends stopped playing, and the classes I used for PvP weren't cutting it ("we know hunters are 'underrepresented' in, well, everywhere but rated battlegrounds, but since they are doing OK there, we're just going to let them be free kills for half the classes in the game in all other PvP venues because we don't want to mess with RBG balance.")

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users