16 replies to this topic

#1 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hello guys,

First I want to thank you all for your previous input on topics about GPUs.
I've chosen to get the GTX 970 but now I'm trying to chose between EGVA, MSI, ASUS, etc.
I know they mostly differ at cooling systems and GPU base clocks and that is what I'm trying to find out.

Is there a table where I can compare base clocks for all the existing GTX970 models and brands?

I know 1050MHz is the standard and I know some go as high as to close to 1200MHz but I'd like to compare them all to have an idea of how much is the $ per MHz ratio.

Thanks in advance,

FlipOver

#2 fishballz

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:57 AM

I thought mechwarrior online is more CPU intensive, but go for Sapphire

#3 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:01 AM

And you thought right.
Reasons for a new GPU:

I have NONE atm. Working only with the CPU.
Want something I can use for a long time and possibly take advantage of SLI in the future if I need to.

Good GPU for 1080p res. with a low power consumption made me chose the 970.

Now I need to find out the base clocks to chose the one with best $$$/MHz ratio.

#4 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

View Postfishballz, on 07 May 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

I thought mechwarrior online is more CPU intensive, but go for Sapphire

Sapphire is an amd only brand.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother looking at best clocks/$, difference will be extremely small. Get the brand that has the best rep with warranty where you live.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 May 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

Sapphire is an amd only brand.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother looking at best clocks/$, difference will be extremely small. Get the brand that has the best rep with warranty where you live.

Thank you for the reply.
I've seen them go from 1050MHz up to 1178MHz as a base clock.
This seems big to me, but I may be over-valuing the difference in terms of performance and future usage. I really don't know and will add the warranty specification to (what I now call) the decision-making list :)

#6 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 07 May 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

Thank you for the reply.
I've seen them go from 1050MHz up to 1178MHz as a base clock.
This seems big to me, but I may be over-valuing the difference in terms of performance and future usage. I really don't know and will add the warranty specification to (what I now call) the decision-making list :)

As far as brands go, ASUS has excellent reputation in terms of quality, but tend to be a little more expensive than other brand cards. Though most brands are defenitely reliable in quality, if you are willing to pay the little extra, ASUS will not dissapoint.

#7 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:02 AM

Asus has good quality but a questionable rep with on how they handle warranty in some countries. Depends on where you live.

If I were to buy for myself I'd probably go with asus, msi or gigabyte, they're the big players here.

#8 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

i know a couple people with the gigabyte 970 and they are over the moon happy with it, tbh though you really cant go wrong with one from any of the big 4 ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

MSI or EVGA in my opinion.

#10 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

I looked on pcpartpicker.com for the US and the best Price/GHz I found is the EVGA ACX 2.0 Card, on Newegg it's Base Price $360 but there's a $20 MIR & a 8% Off Promo Code that can bring it down to $313.19 @ 1.17GHz That would be ~$267.68/GHz plus you Get Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GTX Game Bundle & Batman: Arkham Knight as Free Gifts, and EVGA is AFAIK #1 When it comes to Warranties, at least on the Nvidia Side:
https://pcpartpicker...ard-04gp42976kr
http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

#11 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 07 May 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

As far as brands go, ASUS has excellent reputation in terms of quality, but tend to be a little more expensive than other brand cards. Though most brands are defenitely reliable in quality, if you are willing to pay the little extra, ASUS will not dissapoint.

The Asus card (Strix Variant) hurt the specifications of the power supply with the usage of only a 8PIN PCI connector, while the specifications request at least 2 6PIN or for equal wattage input or with mroe wattage input a 8Pin + 6or8Pin.

Posted ImageMSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
- slight oem overclock (1114MHz), good pwm chip for unrestricted voltage; zero noise feature (under 60°C no fan rotation)
Posted ImageEVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
- good oem overclock (1190MHz), good pwm chip for unrestricted voltage; feature zero noise; good warranty restrictions icluding removing for cooler for example, step up program
Posted ImageGigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1
- good oem overclock (1178MHz), ok pwm chip, good customized cooler with low noise (no zero noise feature, but since it is so big it is "quite" if on)
Posted ImageZotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition
- high oem overclock good (1228MHz) vrm (pwm chip has not a full open voltage regulation!), a bit noisier than other designs, 5 year warranty with registration
Posted ImageKFA² GeForce GTX 970 HOF
- high oem overclock (1228MHz), best vrm, very expensive, white pcb (only usefull if you wanna set it under warter or locck for records to break xD - or have money and want a white pcb)

sidenote since the gpu chip is a lucky isue of quality all those cards should be somewhat capable with a good one to be overclocked into the region of 1400 till 1500 MHz Boost clock. However if you do not wanna self tune the card you may should choose a card that has higher clocks by manufacturer.

Price performance value i guess the MSI and EVGA as the Gigagbyte are pretty near to each other.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 08 May 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

I would grab an ASUS or MSI card. Stay away from the EVGA and Gigabyte ones at the 970 level.

#13 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

MSI. I have 2 of the MSI GTX 970's oc addition, not the gamer version though. Bench's as fast as the gamer addition out of the box on both. I have 6 MSI cards in total and they have been rock solid.

#14 MasterHahn

• Pip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

Well, i just recently bought the Zotac Amp! Extreme and it rox my house, just sayin :)

#15 Elbrun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

MSI has some of the best warranty service of all choices currently if something were to happen, standard 3 year replacement on most of their cards. Plus the quality vs price is really good.

Edited by Elbrun, 07 May 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#16 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostElbrun, on 07 May 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

MSI has some of the best warranty service of all choices currently if something were to happen, standard 3 year replacement on most of their cards. Plus the quality vs price is really good.

The longest warranty as i know has Zotac with 5 years for registered buyer. The best warranty for buyer, who wanna manipulate their card has evga. MSI does have nothing that stand out in the warranty section (it has more or less a downside in warranty isues since you can only claim warranty issues, over your shop, if the shop disapear you have a problem!). Sry dude.

Also this should be noted (since it is germany, it may differ in united states):
https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

Edited by Kuritaclan, 07 May 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#17 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hi again all,

I have to thank you so much for your contribution, I will be reading this calmly during this weekend and hopefully make a much more educated choice.

I feel like I finally understand so much more about GPUs, and all thanks to this great community on MW:O.
To everyone who helped me along the way to understand the latest hardware better, my big thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users