#21 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 May 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Past 700 meters ERLLs will always deal more damage than regular LLs. ERLLs will ALWAYS deal more damage than regular LLs past 450 meters (at 451 meters the LLs start dropping in damage. Whlie the ERLL maintains the standard damage up to 675). Past 700 meters the LL will deal diddly squat, while the ERLL will have barely started dropping off in damage.

EDIT: Might wanna check the individual stats of each weapon?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

See, I know all of that. I was mostly wondering if the increased burn time made that much of a difference and how much extra damage I'd actually be gaining past the 450m range vs using a standard LLas.

I like the chart idea above. Maybe If I made (or could be directed to) a graph that compares the damage fall off side by side I could figure this out.

#22 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostRaso, on 10 May 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

See, I know all of that. I was mostly wondering if the increased burn time made that much of a difference and how much extra damage I'd actually be gaining past the 450m range vs using a standard LLas.

I like the chart idea above. Maybe If I made (or could be directed to) a graph that compares the damage fall off side by side I could figure this out.

The duration difference is a quarter of a second. You're not gaining much by using the LL.

The only advantage the LL has over the ERLL is at under 450 meters. That's the only spot where the LL out-performs the ERLL. Since it will burn faster, deal the same damage, and remain colder.

Above 450 the LL starts to lose, and at around 700, the burn time difference becomes less and less apparent.

#23 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

Since you said you didn't like brawling, I came up with these 2 builds for you. Each has 4 ERLL's (for range) and 2 LPL (for 'Mechs that get too close or are fast). I agree with Walker, ERLL's are better, as long as you can control your heat.

STD

XL

#24 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostRedEagle86, on 10 May 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

Since you said you didn't like brawling, I came up with these 2 builds for you. Each has 4 ERLL's (for range) and 2 LPL (for 'Mechs that get too close or are fast). I agree with Walker, ERLL's are better, as long as you can control your heat.

STD

XL

IMO those builds are too hot.

If you're looking to simply do long ranged damage, with some close range support, try THIS.

The SRM2s won't be 1-shotting anyone, but they reload quickly, have a tight spread, and you're Hellslinger gives you 12.5% bonus to missile cooldown. It won't make you a brawler, but between firing groups of 2 ERLLAS and 3 SRM2s you'll be able to do some fairly good, sustained damage to anything under 270m if it comes to that.

EDIT:
Fixed link

Edited by Havyek, 11 May 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

Havyek, might wanna use the BBC code for this forum, not HTML.

[url= Put in the url you want to link]line of text to show[/url]

Ex:

smurfy

#26 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostRedEagle86, on 10 May 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

STD

XL

If he's dead set against brawling, the solution is to go to the Clans. =)

View PostHavyek, on 10 May 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

IMO those builds are too hot.

If you're looking to simply do long ranged damage, with some close range support, try this.

The SRM2s won't be 1-shotting anyone, but they reload quickly, have a tight spread, and you're Hellslinger gives you 12.5% bonus to missile cooldown. It won't make you a brawler, but between firing groups of 2 ERLLAS and 3 SRM2s you'll be able to do some fairly good, sustained damage to anything under 270m if it comes to that.

Fixed!

#27 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

So my preference has evolved somewhat as far as LL vs ERLLs. I used to go for ERLL on everything because I liked being able to reach out and touch people at extreme range. But I began to move to LL starting with my AC/20 Misery. AC/20 being short range I decided to focus on lower heat because with four of the things I was often tickling the overheat zone - even with proper firing discipline to avoid ghost heat. Also, I was running the Misery in CW a lot, and I found that most engagements there did not benefit from the increased range of the ERLL, whereas the heat reduction was quite helpful in being able to keep the pressure up against las-puke clanners.

Now I tend to a choose based on quirks first and mech role as a close second. You really do want to make use of quirks if possible; the mechs with significant, specific weapon quirks should be taken advantage of. But if the quirks are simply generic energy or laser quirks, or if the specific weapon quirks are not that impressive above the generic quirks - like 7.5% heat off of one weapon and 7.5 off of all energy weapons, then I will ask myself what role I intend to fulfill.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, most successful engagements for the Inner Sphere against the Clans involve short range. Clan weapons are markedly less effective close-in, and the Inner Sphere can maul them to death as they squirrel around and overheat.

#29 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

If in a glass cannon , when brawling...take your time and go for a headshot.

Surn's commandments

#30 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostMechregSurn, on 10 May 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

If in a glass cannon , when brawling...take your time and go for a headshot.

Surn's commandments

Against a clan mech it's a bit easier, but still difficult. Against an IS mech, you'll have a better chance of waiting until they over heat.

#31 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Havyek is right, dont listen to the usual rambling about mixed roles those forumites like to speak to themselves!

putting some srms in your ERLL sniper is not stupid, is the smartest thing you can do to make sure you're not a sitting duck at close range - i would try to go for several ERLL lasers, but if it's too hot for you, you can always try and get the normal large laser and buy the level 5 module for it, it should give you like 200 more meters of range on it and run less hot than ERLL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users