Firebrands - Worth The Purchase?

21 replies to this topic

#1 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

Hey guys. So I have two other Jagers - the S and the free A(C) I got for the Resistance 2 pack. I am looking at a third variant for obvious reasons.

So I also played an unconventional TDR-5S build the other day: 3 LL + 1 AC/5. I greatly enjoyed it, and one obvious parallel is a Jager with large las (another similar build can run on an Orian).

So if I want my lasers in my arms - and I definitely do - it would have to be the Firebrand. My reasoning for the arm laser mounts is that I did have trouble with the AC/5 in the TDR's arm hitting the ground or other such low obstacle by mistake due to the arm being low-slung. I don't much like PPCs of any variety as I just don't enjoy them that much - and plus they're hot for their DPS compared with lasers. And a lot of FB builds go for those PPC quirks, so I can't say that thrills me a ton.

So can anybody who has a Firebrand let me know how they like it? And whether they think the purchase was worth it? I have the MC to buy one, but I want to make sure that people find it enjoyable to play before I decide to make the move - or not. I'm not intending to try and take this into CW or anything; I'm just looking for another fun mech to add to my stable.

Thanks!

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

The firebrand is definitely one of the best hero mechs, and is a very good choice for JM6 number 3. Being able to mount your energy weapons alongside your ballistics is great. If you like Jagermechs, you can't go wrong with the Firebrand.

Also, cbill bonus, yo!

#3 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yeah. Also the DD is almost as expensive in MC, 1.75 times the cost of the A or S in C-bills, and doesn't really do anything better than the S.

Granted, that UAC jam-chance reduction quirk is pretty awesome, and I have considered UAC/5 Firebrand builds, so I could theoretically run the build on the DD for that reduced jam chance. But the laser mounts on the DD are low, and the consensus seems to be that the S can do anything the DD can do - only better.

#4 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

The Firebrand was my first Hero mech. You can run dual Gauss, dual AC20s, dual PPCs, UACs and laser support and all of those great Jagermech builds. If you want it because it's different the arm mounted dual PPCs are nice but always felt underwhelming to me. If you're just getting one for the C-bill bonus it's definitely a competent mech and with a good build is sure to help you bring in the dough.

#5 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

Firebrand might be the only Hero 'mech, i'd consider buying.
If painted white, it looks a lot like one of FRR unit camos, 3rd Drakons
Posted Image
Because, at the end of the day, isn't the Aesthetics supposed to be the main reason to buy the Hero 'mechs?

Though, i'd wait for a sale, to be honest.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 10 May 2015 - 04:14 AM.

#6 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

The quirks on the Firebrand aren't that great compared to other mechs in its weight class, like the Thunderbolt. But honestly, you don't even need quirks on this Hero Jaegermech anyways. It's just a solid mech that does any good energy/ballistic build that you want.

Just keep in mind though that the side torsos are big, and a lot of folks have gotten into the habit of shooting at the side torsos first having been conditioned that most Jaeger pilots run an XL engine in them.

Other than that, it's a solid Hero mech to buy and it fits very well in any CW drop deck.

#7 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

I bought all the Jagers back before quirks were a thing and the Firebrand was one of my favorites. I tend to like the dual AC5+dual energy weapon (LL/ERLL/PPC/ERPPC) builds and does get quirks now that help those. I haven't pulled my Jagers out of mothballs for awhile though....

#8 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

The Rifleman Firebrand is my favorite Jäger by a country mile. It's a rock solid performer. I run it as a fat Rifleman (2x LLas, 2x AC5, 2x MLas) and it has been one of my most rock solid heavies for a really long time.

#9 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

Firebrand may very well be my next hero purchase. Not only can it (almost) recreate my favorite unseen mech, the Rifleman, but it can also do two of the more fun JM6 builds (2x Gauss, and 2X AC/20) with a cbill bonus.

#10 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Good Solid hero mech but I would wait on 50% off have them every once in awhile. Haven't paid full price for hero yet and for something that costs them nothing to do really even at 50% off over priced but least gets it into realm of me buying a battletech fig for that mech.

#11 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostMad Ox, on 11 May 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Good Solid hero mech but I would wait on 50% off have them every once in awhile. Haven't paid full price for hero yet and for something that costs them nothing to do really even at 50% off over priced but least gets it into realm of me buying a battletech fig for that mech.

Unfortunately I'd imagine that won't be for a while, seeing as we just had a 50% hero mech sale a week or two ago.

If you want survivability in a Jagermech, load up 1x Gauss and 6x ML on your Firebrand, grab a standard engine and go to town. No you don't have the huge range and alpha of a dual-gauss Jager, but people are damn surprised when they blow off your shoulder and you're still alive.

Edited by xeromynd, 11 May 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#12 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

So considering the recent hero mech sale there probably won't be another for some time. As such, I decided that I would go ahead and grab the Firebrand based on the positive feedback about this mech that I have received in this thread.

So far I am running it just as stock - yeah even the crappy AC/2s - and I'm enjoying it a lot! As I said I don't much like PPCs, but with the increased velocity I am actually enjoying using them on this mech.

The 2 LL + 2 AC/5 build was my intended build on this mech. I have yet to try it out but I expect I will enjoy it immensely since I like the same build on my S, and that doesn't have the high E mounts like the Firebrand. So I'm looking forward to that for sure.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

#13 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

Don't own a Firebrand, but have gotten to try it an a friend's account. Yes, definitely seems worth the purchase. My favorite hero though is the "Misery."

#14 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

It's an OK hero. I do own one. I prefer my Higgin and Sparky, but I favor light piloting. Jager's in general good snipers, but I've found out I am not a good sniper myself.

Get a hero for a role that you like. Are you a sniper? If so, then the Firebrand is good for you.

#15 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

I enjoyed sniping a lot more when I was just beginning to play this game. Now I tend more towards mid-ranged engagements seasoned with a brawl here or there. But I also do enjoy playing direct-fire fire-support like the Firebrand - LRM fire support isn't my thing.

I'm still getting used to how I need to play to be successful in a Jager - when to commit, when to retreat, when to snipe, when I should be closing the distance. And pug queue play isn't super conducive to doing well with my still green Jager piloting skills. I'm enjoying it though, and I know that I like playing mechs a lot more once they're mastered with double basics, so I'm working steadily towards that goal on this chassis.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, would anybody like to share some tips on how to best survive in a Jag with an XL? I find that it is hard to torso twist the damage away when I have to do some staring to fire back using the AC/5s.

Edited by grendeldog, 11 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#16 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

I enjoy mine, but I run the x2 AC/20 build. It's not practical but it's a lot of fun on good brawling maps.

If you set it up to be more practical (incorporate lasers with ballistics) it can be quite useful.

#17 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

it's been said to death but I don't want you to suffer almost-buyer's-remorse on my account so I'll add to the tally, the FireRifleBrandMan is a fine hero, I enjoyed mine thoroughly.

#18 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

I don't run mine like the usual builds but absolutely love my 2 gauss 4 small Lazer Firebrand. It's a great killer with it's pinpoint alpha. I have tried out the other builds too. It's a killer that I recommend. Just remember it's a DPS horse, find a tank, stay mid to long range, and you'll be a killer. Get up front and you'll get focused down like a hot blonde in a bar.

#19 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:20 AM

I love my FB, its actually one of my favorites. I've got 2 ppcs, 2 ac5, 5 tons of ammo & an xl 280 in mine. DPS&alpha combined. It is a bit squishy though, so play it like a support mech and you'll be good.

#20 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

So one of my unit busies suggested a nice build last night during CW - 3 LL, 1 gauss. I tend to change my dropdeck depending on the game mode and also on the map; defending on Boreal with that thing was brutally effective!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users