• 255 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

Hey people!
It's a tough question for me..

For:
-Higher precision
which is good for killing unsuspecting enemies from behind
and in general focusing on damaged parts\components
-No ghost heat, and in general heat is just non existent, although with 4 SRM4s the chance of overheating is sill very low

Against:
-Reduce alpha by 25%
-Reduce ammo by 1 ton,

With Artemis

Without Artemis

The overall damage goes down when using Artemis, but it seems to get the job done, however I find myself, especially in CW matches, running out of ammo more that I would like..

Any thoughts?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

In lighter mechs you really have to deal with no artemis for the sake of weight. You'll have to find the good range where your damage is acceptable but you will get that spread. Artemis is particularly bad for Oxide cause you use 4 SRMs which makes it +4 tons as opposed to Hugin which only uses 2 for +2 tons.

The only medium I have artemis on is my HBK-4SP for the 2 SRM6s but every other medium and light mech I have just brings no-artemis SRM4s.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

I prefer a little more min/max..

The only reason I carry any armour at all on the ST's is becase i'm paranoid that they might actually go before the CT one day. I've even gone as far as to run with no ST armour at all and around half armour on the legs, and had no change in survivability.

As far as Artemis goes, I can live without it. It's nice to have if you're throwing missiles from stand-off ranges, but I have found that playing as a mad bomber on strafing runs works best, and affords you the best life expectancy. The Huggin' is for brawlin', the Oxide is for striking.

Lights make great SRM carriers anyways, as they can more easily get to point blank range to maximize damage to one location, where the lack of artemis isn't as much of an issue.

#4 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

I've not found Artemis to be that useful for SRM 4s as the missile spread is pretty good. 6s? Yes, definitely, but not worth the extra weight on 4s in my opinion.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostElizander, on 10 May 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

The only medium I have artemis on is my HBK-4SP for the 2 SRM6s but every other medium and light mech I have just brings no-artemis SRM4s.

I can understand why you say that, But i even run SRM4's with out on my 4SP, the 6's i find just burn through ammo to fast, and runs to hot as it can carry 5 ML's.. Try SRM4's with 4 ML's use the extra weight for heat sinks, and ammo. The faster rate of fire with the 4's, basically negates the re-fire rate on the 6 quirk. Seriously, try it out, you might find you like your 4SP even better, i know i do! :)

But to the OP, for me, the lightest mech i run artemis on is a 55 ton wolverine 7k, which i use on my dual SRM6's. the extra 5 tons, i find i can squeeze in the extra two and make it worth while. So that said, an oxide is just to light to use it, and really it is not needed on SRM4's. Even on assaults, unless i have say an LRM15 rack on something, I skip it. One of my stalker builds has a pair of SRM4's that i don't bother.

Your a light, just get closer if you want that tighter spread. If you are 270m away, honestly it really doesnt help anyway.. there is just a small range, that it does help keep um tighter,, but once you get even closer, it matters less. Use your piloting to get maximum damage to where you want it, that is why you are piloting a light.

Example, a commando with a pair of 4's, or tripple 2's.. get in, get close, and fire at point blank, that is far better than artemis.

#6 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

I tried artemis on my huginn, but eventually removed it for more ammo. The huginn burns through ammo at a ridiculous rate. I found artemis didn't help me kill things.

#7 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

Yah, no Art on the Oxide for me also. As was stated, 4's are quite accurate enough all on their lonesome. The Ox is quick enough to achieve favorable shots anyway and frankly anything less than four naked 4 racks is inefficient given the weight and quirks.

I did wind up trimming mine down to a 275 xl in favor of more ammo. :/ complete contrary to my usual "max engine always" philosophy with lights.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:44 AM

No Artemis for me, either. I run an XL280 in mine, which is as slow as I'm willing to go in a short range, JJ-less light, so I think Artemis is too expensive in terms of tonnage and crit slot cost.

Edited by Terciel1976, 15 May 2015 - 04:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users