• 1,633 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

gimped? 3 laservomit quickdraws + a dakkadragon and watch the clanners rage

#22 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

We can start panicking next month, when clan wave 3 hits the bricks..

#23 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 13 May 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

Indeed, this has been pointed out before but it is important to emphasize that this is in fact a return to 240. However, I still maintain that the issues which are causing the recent resurgence of the IS are extrinsic to the drop deck tonnage limit.

For example, the matchmaking bug you mentioned was preventing clans from taking planets. As I understand it this was a problem in the capture mechanic, not a problem related to the actual gameplay. The greater number of IS players is another factor, because it allows the IS to capture a lot of territory through ghost drops. Third, many of the top units were playing as clanners during Tukayyid, and the clans won. Now many of those units have moved to the IS side, and thus the IS is winning on the CW star map.

All three of those things are extrinsic factors; they are related to pilot skill, number of pilots, and the matchmaking algorithm. So the gains made by the IS do not directly relate to how many tons they are allowed.

I maintain that the game was well balanced with the 250 ton limit for the IS and a 240 ton limit for the clans. This is demonstrated by the fact that whichever side has the preponderance of top competative units wins - clans during Tukayyid, IS after Tukayyid. This suggests that pilot skill is a major factor in the performance during matches and thus the performance of factions on the star map, and is a sign that things were balanced just fine.

I want to bring up a point that weeks before the IS seal clubbing CW map due to MM bug thus issues capturing was also the Clans (slower then iS, but still without challange) taking many planets.

And I look at the more larger statistics for units for Tukayyid, I saw a lot of non meta units up there doing very well on both sides but surprised to see my unit (semi-comp casual, none of us have an energy boat timberwolf or stormcrow for eg and I mostly ran a non ECM hellbringer prime) and did pretty well, especially considering the lack of players in our unit.

I think even if some of the top units went IS the clans would have won that event because this event was the best time to grind and we have VERY determined units who know how to win and will do what it takes to get there (CWI for eg)

Also Ghost drops wasn't an issue when IS were getting lots of territory earlier, from what I remember only 2.8% of matches were ghost drops and they occured as often for the clan side as it did for IS so it is balanced out there.

I am happy to see a 240 ton return for IS as this bandage fix is removed and propper ballancing can occur.

Also note: wouldn't it be more logical for clans to get a tonnage buff? due to poor lights and the lighter assaults being poor as well (pretty much all T4-T5 in terms of comp) the extra tonnage would benifit clans severally in ballancing to the IS.

There is a reason you saw on the forums flames from 12 man Stalker teams and such getting 5>-48 games but nothing like that for say 12 warhawks, 12 direwolfs, 12 gargoyles, etc.

Also considering the fact that a 20 ton improvement for Clans woudln't benifit the meta to much besides meta-direwolfs being a more common thing (which peform poorly in CW , 1 factor being slowness and such) I do not see a reason for any faction to get a 240 up until all clans get Quirks and all T4-5 clan mechs (adder, kitfox, summoner, gargoyle, etc) gets more supportive quirks so mechs like the Panther doesn't obliterate the adder in simular builds for a 1 vs 1 even though both are 35 ton mechs with said PPC's. (meanwhile the adder is fully devoted to it and Panther stock wise is partially)

or things like awesome/ thunderbolt verse warhawk.

Kingcrab/ dragon verse direwolf.

Catapult/ Kintaro verse Mad dog.

etc =l

#24 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the land of 2 heavies 2 mediums

or perhaps assault heavy light light

or perhaps heavy + 3 mediums

or perhaps 4 60 tonners

or perhaps double assault double tiny lights

the possibilities are endless.

#25 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

I like to change my Drop Deck around at times but my preferred drop deck has always remained at 240t anyhow.

How about we see how CW results go before "panicking". PGI will eventually make any changes if they see it as necessary (rightly or wrongly).

I just really hope that PGI does not do knee jerk reactions based upon whether a faction (Clan or IS) is gaining or loosing ground based on other factors which should really be addressed first..

In the end we want a game where a Faction generally has even chance of winning a CW match - on assumption that there is equal player skill on both sides. I do not want to see a situation where players gravitate to one faction based on their OPness.

Cheers!
Eboli.

Edited by Eboli, 13 May 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#26 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

With current mechs:
TDR - 5SS
TDR - 9S
QKD - 4K
HBK - 4J