#1 SomethingSpecial

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTerra.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hello all!

I am an old Mechwarrior gamer. Mech2 was the first video game I ever played, and Mech3 is probably one of my favorite PC games of all time. I heard about this game last year, but as I had not had a gaming computer in a while, I am just now starting to play. I am about half way through my Cadet bonuses, and I am planning on saving to get one of three mechs; a Timber Wolf Prime, a Summoner of some sort, or a Mad Dog Prime.

My first question is, which should I get? In Mech 3 and 4 I was generally a long range sniper and fire support. Which of these would be the most profitable for that type of playstyle?

Second; My favorite Mech all time is the Timber Wolf. My favorite loadout with it in 3 and 4 especially was twin Clan ER-PPCs in the arms, and Twin Clan LRM 20s in the missile racks, each with two tons of ammo. Close to maxed armor, with a top speed of around 75 KM/h, and BAP, with around eighteen double heat sinks.. Regardless of which of these monsters I buy first, I will grab a Timber Wolf eventually, and attempt a loadout similar to this. In this game, is this a realistic and effective build for a heavy hitting long range mech?

Thanks to all, and hail the Clans!!!

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Get Stormcrows to level. GLGH.

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

Welcome!

View PostSomethingSpecial, on 13 May 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

My first question is, which should I get? In Mech 3 and 4 I was generally a long range sniper and fire support. Which of these would be the most profitable for that type of playstyle?

First off, know that MWO has a need for you to get multiples of a single Chassis to unlock Elite Skills after getting Basics unlocked. Than you need to unlock Elite Skills on three mechs of a class to open the Mastery Hybrid Module Slot.

So your Cadet bonus and earnings can end up a tad short for one of these three mechs. Here's a link you should bookmark that has a lot of helpful info for you: smurfy's site

Out of the three that you mention, the Timbers are great, but their reputation precedes them and they are high priority targets to focus down as fast as possible.

Summoners and Mad Dogs have some viable builds, but I haven't run those yet myself as I've been trying to work on Clan Wolf mechs.

Second; My favorite Mech all time is the Timber Wolf. My favorite loadout with it in 3 and 4 especially was twin Clan ER-PPCs in the arms, and Twin Clan LRM 20s in the missile racks, each with two tons of ammo. Close to maxed armor, with a top speed of around 75 KM/h, and BAP, with around eighteen double heat sinks.. Regardless of which of these monsters I buy first, I will grab a Timber Wolf eventually, and attempt a loadout similar to this. In this game, is this a realistic and effective build for a heavy hitting long range mech?

And yeah you certainly can build an effective long range mech with the Timber, but due to how agile everything is and how much damage we can fling about, you might be better trying a different combo of weapons depending on how your matches go and according to what weapons you like using over others.

#4 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

One thing I would add is that PPCs and especially ERPPCs are rather hot for the amount of damage that they do relative to lasers. I usually take out any PPCs and replace them with large pulse lasers because the tonnage is the same but there's less heat for a given amount of damage. Plus, as you know, PPCs have travel time and lasers do not.

The exception is of a mech has quirks that favor using PPCs. Quirks are basically bonuses that are applied to a specific mech variant. An example would be a 25% velocity boost for PPCs. There are general quirks - like 10% less heat on energy weapons - and then more specific quirks, such as 10% less heat on mediums lasers only. Often there will be a combination of both on a mech, like 10% less heat on energy weapons and 10% less heat on PPCs, which means that for PPCs the heat reduction is 20% - the sum of all the bonuses that apply to a given weapon.

Sadly for ERPPCs on Timber Wolves, there are no such quirks for that weapon on that chassis. Clan mechs usually have much less quirks than IS mechs because quirks were PGI's way of trying to balance the clans' superior weapons with the Inner Sphere mechs and weaponry.

The closest thing to your goal would be the Timber Wolf D variant. I don't like the stock build at all - ERPPCs and streak SRMs - but you could simply replace the streaks with LRMS and you'd have an ERPPC and LRM Wolf. Whether it would be effective or not is another matter, and depends also upon your playstyle and level of skill with the game. It does however have a 5% energy weapon heat reduction quirk on the left arm.

That's another thing: clan mechs have their quirks tied to specific omnipods - which are like interchangeable body parts for clan mechs. So the 5% energy heat reduction quirk is tied to the left arm (I believe, somebody correct me please if it is the right arm). Other clan mechs like the Nova have small percentage quirks on each omnipod that add up to something a bit more significant when taken all together.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Please don't hesistate to ask as many questions as you want; the MWO community is really welcoming and helpful to new players. We want you to succeed!

EDIT: I should also mention that if you want to give sniper builds a go, the combination of a gauss rifle, 2 ER large lasers, and two or three ER medium lasers on a Timberwolf is considered to be one of the top builds or even the single best mech out of them all in competitive play (for long range). It may not be so newbie-friendly though, as the gauss rifle has a charging game mechanic, has fewer hit points than other weapons, and explodes violently doing damage to the mech if destroyed.

That said I'm running that build and it's insane when properly played. In the pug queue - shorthand for pick-up game queue / the public solo games - it can be less effective because there's often little to no coordination. And like almost all builds that are 'meta' - competative using the currently dominant weapons paradigm - it is specialized, and specialized mechs work best wihin a coordinated team. Pug-land is therefor a somewhat less habitable place for that gauss + ERLL build.

Edited by grendeldog, 13 May 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

I am planning on saving to get one of three mechs; a Timber Wolf Prime, a Summoner of some sort, or a Mad Dog Prime.

My first question is, which should I get?

summoner is kind of bad, mad dog is a bit squishy and is mostly good for missile builds

go straight to timber unless you want a streakdog (maddog boating streaks, like 6 s-srm-6 and stuff), stormcrow (5 s-srm-6) would be better for it though being tougher to be killed

timber wolf and stormcrow are two very best clan mech

well, as for your build, here it is, exactly as you described it http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e905ddd528371a

the speed is higher than 75 kmh, it's 81 kmh, 89 when you get the speed tweak (should get basic skills on 3 bought different timber wolf versions first so not soon), it has nearly maxed armor (i took 2 points of armor from the head to round the weight, head is the safest place to take armor from, headshots are very rare), 2 ppc, 2 lrm-20, 4.5 tons of ammo, 15 heatsinks and the active probe

as for the efficiency of that build, ppc is a very hot weapon and with a limited projectile velocity, but unlike lasers it makes the damage instantly, clan lasers are balanced by giving them a rather long burn time (to give is tech a chance vs clantech), so if you are a good shot and can manage heat, ppc are better. clan er-ppc doesn't have a minimum distance and deals a heavier damage than is ppc/er-ppc (15 vs 10), but it's hotter than ordinary ppc (clans have er-ppc only) and 5 damage is dealt as a splash to adjacent components, so it doesn't that matter

lrm is considered as a bad/noob weapon. it is still effective and very easy to use but is countered with ecm cover (makes locking very hard), ams, radar deprivation module (makes you lose the lock instantly if nobody spots the target) and generally with finding a cover

bap/cap is not that useful for that build, it makes your sensors work 25% longer and counters ecm in 240 meters range, but the damage for lrms below 180 decreases drastically so it doesn't really matter, it doesn't improve your lock time, a tag laser in one of the hands instead would be better, it counters ecm outside of ecm disrupt range of 180 meters and speeds up the lock, on top of that a shot of ppc stops ecm for 4 seconds; cap/bap is mostly used by streak boats where it is must have

then, 4.5 tons of ammo is too little for a heavy lrm-40 mech, i would suggest to use 2xlrm-15 and more ammo or to replace ppc if you want lrm-40; btw 4*lrm 10 (timber-d and -s torsos have 2 missile hardpoints each) would have a better dps (and more heat)

personally i don't like your build because both of its weapons are long ranged and it's kind of weak vs lights (it's hard to hit one with ppc), imo either 6 med lasers or something and 2 lrm or 2 ppc and 4 s-srm-6 (bap/cap is the must!) would be better

seyla!

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 13 May 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 13 May 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

The closest thing to your goal would be the Timber Wolf D variant. I don't like the stock build at all - ERPPCs and streak SRMs - but you could simply replace the streaks with LRMS and you'd have an ERPPC and LRM Wolf. Whether it would be effective or not is another matter, and depends also upon your playstyle and level of skill with the game. It does however have a 5% energy weapon heat reduction quirk on the left arm.

As a New player, your C-bills are going to be important to you. So I ask, do you need the Ballistic hard-point in the Center torso? If not, I feel compelled to agree with grendledog. Getting the TBR-D will be the closest mech to the aforementioned PPC LRM build, thus saving you c-bill by limiting the amount of weaponry and omnipods you need purchase. Also, I'm a big fan of the CT energy hardpoint. Ever consider adding a tag there?

Now, as to what bad arcade kitty mentioned, I have taken the stock TBR-D up against lights, and whilest true, the streaks are hilarious, I've found the PPCs to actually be much better than lasers against them, since when they hit, they Hit. Used at closer ranges PPCs can spell a light's doom. As for the limited ammo load, youre not going to be a dedicated lrm machine, it is true.

Which is fine if that's not what you want. Two PPC can keep up a fairly constant barrage, and a great for poking or trading, since they're fire and way weapons, whilest more firepower will hit heat limit if you go for extended engagements. Especially before your skills are elited. This build you envision, I see as a PPC ranger, with LRM harassment when you've sure shots. I would personally tag the thing and go with a three button mouse, or rebind a fire key to left shift or something for constant tagability myself.

As for the other two mechs mentioned...

Second; My favorite Mech all time is the Timber Wolf.
If you love it. Get it. You can get the other two with the winnings this earns you, and there are enough hardpoints on various omnipods to let you test all the weapons you want.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

Edited by Leone, 13 May 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:27 AM

MW2 as a first game? That had to be kinda tough to learn. Myself, it was some Atari game... Grew up on Atari and Nintendo and went up from there. Admittedly Mechwarrior 1 came out when I was four years old (1989). I'm sad it wasn't one I got to play and even now I'm struggling to play it (it isnt very kind to a windows 7 dosbox).

#8 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:57 AM

Combining lock on missiles with direct fire weapons is problematic in MWO.

The lock on reticle is bloody huge, and when you're trying to learn how to place your direct fire shots with accuracy, the lock on reticle makes it difficult to impossible. Dump the LRM's and focus on doing direct fire damage and you'll pick the game up a lot faster. LRM's are a crutch to make you feel like you're doing something useful when in fact you really aren't.

#9 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hello all!

I am an old Mechwarrior gamer. Mech2 was the first video game I ever played, and Mech3 is probably one of my favorite PC games of all time. I heard about this game last year, but as I had not had a gaming computer in a while, I am just now starting to play. I am about half way through my Cadet bonuses, and I am planning on saving to get one of three mechs; a Timber Wolf Prime, a Summoner of some sort, or a Mad Dog Prime.

Get the timber wolf IMO. Summoner isn't a good starter mech, it lacks punch for its tonnage. Mad dog is workable but is kind of not a beginner mech either. Quad ppcs and 2 lrm 20s is going to run way, way scorchingly hot, and 4 tons of LRM ammo is completely insufficient for 2xlrm 20s.

If you want to run a timber wolf, I would run a gauss rifle in the arm, 2 and 1/2 or 3 tons of ammo, and 4-5 er medium lasers, fill up the rest of your tonnage with heat sinks and maybe a targeting computer I. You can also do 2 large pulse, 4 or 5 er mediums, and again, fill the rest with heat sinks.

Mad dogs can run LRMs if that's really your thing, backed up by a few er smalls or er mediums for close range defense, but don't count on just a few lasers saving your hide if a pair of light mechs finds you. You can also use streak SRM-6s or SRM6+artemis, but newer players will struggle a bit with that setup because of the shorter range. If you go streaks, get the artemis IV upgrade (it will lower your lock on time, stealth bonus) and take a clan active probe or TAG to disrupt ECM. TAG would be preferable IMO.

#10 SomethingSpecial

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTerra.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I finished off my cadet bonus last night, and now have around eleven million C-bills racked up. After reading all the posts to this topic, I think I will save up and grind out some CW matches til I hit fifteen million, then buy a Timber Wolf D, and attempt to emulate my old build. If its not effective, I'll try switching out the PPCs for large lasers or something. Maybe even a Streak boat. Really hope the old build works out though; a lot of nostalgia in that one. :D

Many thanks trothkin. I will see you all on the battlefield.

Edited by SomethingSpecial, 14 May 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#11 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

I would hazard a rather educated guess that PPC + LRM is too much LRM for your own good.

At some point someone will close to short range on you and you'll be screwed. Long waits between shots etc.
That said you might get away with LRM 5s for additional long range Lulz, and then be sure to you the extra tons saved for a couple of Med or sm pulse lasers.

#12 SomethingSpecial

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTerra.

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

ERPPCs and LRMs rocks hardcore. Game's awesome. Also enjoying my UAC5 Diashi. lol

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Gauss Rifle with at least 3 tons ammo and 3-5 ERML. Timber works great for the armor/speed but the Scrow works too. I'd personally go with Timber unless budget is an issue. The shoulder omnipod with high mounted energy points is really good.

#14 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hello all!

metamechs.com

Welcome!

Ill be brief but in general:
MWO play differently than BT or MW.

Clans are basically stronger than IS but IS mechs have 'quirks' that basically bring some of them up to parity.

Meta play in MWO is basically Gauss+lots of lasers (Gauss vomit), Heavy Dakka, SRM/SPL brawling. LRMs pretty much suck for several reasons(spreading of damage-too many hard counters)

Currently, Stormcrows and Timberwolves are the best Clan mech with Arctic Cheetah the best light. The Direwolf is a brutal heavy firepower mech but its slow and vulnerable. Warhawk is better for Solo play but is squishy due to hitbox and geometry problems.
The Summoner...my favorite...not so good. But not terrible. Its VERY mobile at the expense of firepower. its a good 'Poptart'-which is a ERPPC+Gauss, you jump and fire and land behind cover before return fire comes. SKill required but very hard to counter. 4ERML+Gauss also is workable. 3ERLL+cooling is workable if you are good at pulling range...sigh.

Hellbringer is good with high weapon hardpoints(lacking in Clan mechs_+ECM which works totally differently than BT. Its is basically Angel ECM+Stealth armor-a bit broken most agree.

Gargoyle, Ice Ferret, Missed Lynx, Ebon Jaguar(not terrible has high hardpoints), Kitfox(too slow but otherwise good), Adder(see Kitfox but with better quirks) are the 'lesser' Clan mechs. They still benefit from Clan technology - better guns and engine- but may not be as strong as some IS mechs.

Most play is 500-600m range poking. Brawling is not as prominent.

Basically if you drop Solo, is peek and fire. Group play involves more coordinated pushes. Community Warfare requires a drop deck of 4 mechs within a tonnage limit-with hopefully very coordinated play.

Hope this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users