How Is The Urbanmech?

44 replies to this topic

#21 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 May 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Adding Jumpjets into the mix allows you to juke, and trick your opponents to the point of complete frustration on their part.

oh god this is so true, they infuriate me to no end.
it's like trying to shoot a popsicle stick that is levitating and can return fire 100% of the time.

i notice when i am spectating urbanmech pilots that their brake time is SOO good it looks like they are not driving at all, looks like playin call of duty, you can do very tiny doughnuts (go around in circle) as well and it seems like it's a great way to move unpredictably

i would say they are the hardest light mech to shoot definitely, more so than spider or locust or commando right now

#22 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 24 May 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

i notice when i am spectating urbanmech pilots that their brake time is SOO good it looks like they are not driving at all, looks like playin call of duty, you can do very tiny doughnuts (go around in circle) as well and it seems like it's a great way to move unpredictably

It's because of that 180 engine cap. Being slow (relatively) allows us to turn insanely faster. You'd notice the same on the Kitfox, or Adder, if it wasn't for them being so wide by comparison.

#23 Sir_Dave

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

Urbie's are great fun when you've learnt how to use them, you can stick silly weapons on them and hide behind just about anything. They are good in city maps, bad when LRM's are involved.For me they are kinda like Toy versions of Blackjacks or Jagers

#24 Tapdancing Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:04 AM

A toy jagermech is exactly how I would describe it. Also small enough to use a lot of stuff as cover.

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

View PostDancingShade, on 07 June 2015 - 03:04 AM, said:

A toy jagermech is exactly how I would describe it. Also small enough to use a lot of stuff as cover.

^THIS, ALL OF IT^

With the Urbie, pretty much any piece of terrain is viable cover.

#26 PaeuxP22

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

To me the Urbie is the mech most likely to get a medal of honour. Dying gloriously giving suppressive fire to allow the team to complete a flank maneuver or retreat or whatever.

Weirdly the Urbie has one of the worst kdr but best w/l ratio of all my mechs so it might just be the way I play it but almost always I end up dying when a whole Lance or more come for me allowing the rest of my team some time to do whatever it is they do.

#27 Nunspa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shujin
  • 236 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMiami

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostPaeuxP22, on 16 June 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

To me the Urbie is the mech most likely to get a medal of honour. Dying gloriously giving suppressive fire to allow the team to complete a flank maneuver or retreat or whatever.

Weirdly the Urbie has one of the worst kdr but best w/l ratio of all my mechs so it might just be the way I play it but almost always I end up dying when a whole Lance or more come for me allowing the rest of my team some time to do whatever it is they do.

they rightly fear the power of your fully operational urbanmech.....

I commonly do more damage in my urby, but less kills, then my King Crab... go figure

#28 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 20 May 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

All my urbies are running MGs in the ballistics slot, that has more to do with me being a freak for MGs, than the weapon itself (If I could, I would turn 40 tons of the 50.5 the DWF gets, into MGs, and the rest is ammo).

Ever heard of the Arrows fat clan cousin? no? well you should have!
Fat Arrow Fat Arrow MK2

Edited by LOADED, 14 July 2015 - 09:25 AM.

#29 vamrat

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

I equip the champion (should be an R63) with an LPL and 2x MPL, max engine/JJ, and 11 DHS.

My second one (R60L) is equipped with a UAC5+2t, 4x ML, minimum DHS and 2x JJ.

I use the max engine for the additional engine mounted heat sink more than anything else. You actually lose out on tonnage vs just buying a heat sink, but the reduced heat load is noticible, at least to me. The additional speed is nothing to complain about.

I don't really use the speed to dance like I do in a FS, LCT, or SDR but rather to better reposition myself. As others have said, this thing can peak pretty well and is one of my more reliable mechs for dealing dmg.

#30 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

If you're a fan of Slow but Deadly, then the Urbie would be your sort of light. The trick is to not be the center of attention. And admittedly, for every great game I've had in it, I've had two where I've been left for dead in the great Nascar race of Life.

BUT. There is nothing quite like winning a match as an Urbie, with both teams cheering you on! Shot placement is everything. You can't spray and pray with the heavy cannons. Not enough ammo. Best match so far, was where a Cicada and my AC10 Urbie took down a Hellbringer, Nova, and Atlas to win the match. The Cicada would bait them, then I'd poptart over a small pipe, a meter high box, or the Whale Carcass, and knock out side torsos. Ended up with me and a Small Laser, with half the Cicada left, taking on the poor Atlas (why oh why, LRMs, and not a Trial Atlas). GG.

#31 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

Nothing like chasing something twice your size across a smouldering battlefield with but a few shots left in your peacemaker.

I also managed to gain kudos from my enemies by standing my ground against an Atlas - with my gauss Urbie (he felt bad killing me) :)

#32 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Its a great little mech, from carrying 4 pulse lasers & MG to a single AC10 these are all viable builds & all are fun, i like the AC10 version the best as far as fun goes & the 4 med pulse has got me the best end of game score 6 dead 800 damage (PUG match though), but you need to watch what you do and where you are to get good results.

#33 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

It's a fun little fire support mech. I've found jump jets a must purely so I can get into a good firesupport position and cover the lance. Fav build is probably AC-5 + 3xMlas. Just a cool, fun little mech.

#34 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

I have a blast in my Urbies!

It does play like a fragile medium instead of a light. I usually stick with the heavies and assaults, concentrate fire, and look for opportunities to better position.

My favorite build is the UM-60 with XL180, 2 LL, and 4 MG followed closely by UM-63 with a XL125 and an AC10 or UAC5 with ML or SL backups.

#35 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

I love my Urbie. I call him Zero because that's how many kills I expect that I'm going to get during a game. I run him with 3 Medium Pulse Lasers and 2 MG and he's a nasty litte ankle biter. He's fairly nippy, running at about 90kph and he's really good at supporting my assault mech teammates. I wait until the enemy mechs target our assaults then move up and start pecking away. He's great in a brawl thanks to his size (most people don't notice he's down there once they focus on our teams Dire Wolf until their leg armour starts falling off)

#36 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

It's interesting how they seem to stay in the fight a long time. I've seen UM63s hanging around on the edge of a Forest Colony scrum better than halfway through a match. The enemy often ignores them in favor of more threatening targets. It seems to me that if a UM pilot can find the assault mechs and hang with them, the opportunity for fun arises. And a midsized XL gives it the speed of a Hunchback or Catapult, so it's slow but not non-viable. UMs don't seem to get trapped into the usual light tactics such as the Circle of Doom, and other lights aren't the ones that concentrate on them-if you hate getting backstabbed by Arctic Cheetahs all the time, that's attractive.

And the UM63S has the best stock camo ever. It has *attitude*. "Eat This Trashborn" is scrawled all over the big gun mount. Plus, they look hardcore with a U/AC5.

I conclude that UM pilots are about the attitude, as they don't fit in the usual meta. In fact, they are the very definition of the MWO iconoclast. It's another very different playstyle than what we typically see, kind of like Front Line LRMs rather than reverse-slope suppression from across the map, only no one hates UMs. And UM drivers are the insane pilots that will YOLO-push with you into a fight that none of you should be in, without a care for their kill/death ratio or damage output per match, and have your back unto death. There's something very cool about that devil-may-care playstyle, and it's inevitable that you're going to have very skilled pilots in them who do ridiculous damage, and others who do rather poorly on the field stats-wise but still manage to have fun. Even Metamechs has UM builds, and though the proprietor calls them crap mechs, you can detect a hidden admiration for them in his writings. In a game like this one where meta is king, that's a high tribute.

#37 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

Cant tell, dont see them that much.

#38 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 16 July 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Nothing like chasing something twice your size across a smouldering battlefield with but a few shots left in your peacemaker.

I also managed to gain kudos from my enemies by standing my ground against an Atlas - with my gauss Urbie (he felt bad killing me) :)

yeah I have a bad tendency to challenge dire whales and king crabs with my urbie for some reason...

#39 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

View PostTanar, on 25 August 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

yeah I have a bad tendency to challenge dire whales and king crabs with my urbie for some reason...

It's over confidence from piloting such a vastly overpowering mech. The Urbie has that effect on it's pilots.

#40 PaeuxP22

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

I can't get enough of the Urbie warhorn. Let's everyone on the field know who's boss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users