Phoenix Rising Event

471 replies to this topic

#461 Kutagh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

Just voted no, as the poll is very black and white. Personally, I'm not averse to a new pack similar to the original Phoenix packs. The main question I had was, why do you want to re-release the Phoenix pack?

Is it because those Phoenix variants are currently the only mechs with LP boosts? If so, I'd rather propose a new event that includes all pre-order mechs (Founders, Phoenix, Clan Invasion, Resistance, Sarah's Jenner, Urbanmech) to unlock the LP bonus for all pre-order mechs. This would allow owners of all currently available mech packs to acquire the LP bonus, allowing people that don't have any yet to acquire one of the currently available mech packs (which is both IS and Clan friendly!) and allows you to keep the promise of it being an one-off never-again pack.

If it is to just expand the choices available in the store for people with money, I'm going to say no, unless the pack is tweaked to be unique (a different Phoenix geometry for the new pack, and I'd prefer a different variant becomes the Phoenix variant, perhaps the new variants being released like the BLR-2C?). The mechs are already available for cbills and MC, having a pack that is a decent deal is not bad in itself. Just lazily reusing the existing pack without any (real) effort (except for marketing obviously) while the pack was promised to be exclusive and never to be available again is what I consider bad.

#462 Ceefood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBathurst NSW Australia

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:41 AM

@Great Unwashed
Do I want more of those mechs - sure if means being comparable to clans which IS are clearly not
if the CW system supported a proper balance match between Clan & IS then no but as it is currently yes

#463 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostCeefood, on 19 May 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

Important! These Phoenix Variants will NEVER again be available to purchase or to unlock once the sale offer has ended.

The bold & underlined is my emphasis

but even saying that I will still vote yes - if it raises more funds then that is good for the game
even if it means they are going back on their word of NEVER & one of the reasons I bought was cause they would NEVER be available again

going by the poll so far though looks like the answer will be no

I'm glad you voted yes, but I think it should be pointed out that MWO'S greatest marketing fiasco, the gold Kahn mechs, was attributed to the publisher IGP, trying to milk the first clan pack for all it was worth. Those too were 'limited' time offers.

I would suggest that perhaps the line you quoted might not have been anything that PGI had involvement with and could have been something that IGP did for marketing reasons. If that is correct (and it might not be, we might never know) then why should PGI be stuck with someone else's decision?

#464 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

The answer is simple.

Create an identical pack without the Geo and colors of the originals. Call it the "Rebirth" pack and offer it with new colors. Give the original Phoenix buyers all the preorder and pack goodies pro-bono.

They are after all free to create new packs anytime they want.

#465 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

View PostCeefood, on 20 May 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

@Great Unwashed
Do I want more of those mechs - sure if means being comparable to clans which IS are clearly not
if the CW system supported a proper balance match between Clan & IS then no but as it is currently yes

I'd also really like a proper balance between clan and IS :) I know clan has to be better but the game also has to be fun so even them out I say. At the moment, the quirks put the IS in the #1 spot. Only a few mechs, mind you. When we attack a CW map against a good IS team using Stalkers 4N (6ERLL) or Dragons 1N (The latter has 18DPS w 2AC5, no XL, 8.5tons of ammo) we really get hammered and nothing of the clan superiority matters. Perhaps we need to practice more (no doubt), but perhaps both clan/IS balance needs to be addressed between the two opponents as much as within the opponent groups: now the two OP clan mechs are the two mechs with both FF and endo in the medium/heavy bracket. It is not a coincidence they are so much better than the others. If all clan mechs have the option to go FF/endo and no fixed equipment, you can nerf the entire clan energy arsenal and not use this awful quirk system. Might work.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 20 May 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#466 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostKutagh, on 20 May 2015 - 12:18 AM, said:

...Is it because those Phoenix variants are currently the only mechs with LP boosts? If so, I'd rather propose a new event that includes all pre-order mechs (Founders, Phoenix, Clan Invasion, Resistance, Sarah's Jenner, Urbanmech) to unlock the LP bonus for all pre-order mechs. This would allow owners of all currently available mech packs to acquire the LP bonus, allowing people that don't have any yet to acquire one of the currently available mech packs (which is both IS and Clan friendly!) and allows you to keep the promise of it being an one-off never-again pack...

This is probably the best idea I've seen proposed for some balance on pre-order content! Devs... take consideration on this little concept, please. :D It makes sense, plus it's an added value to pilot these Mechs for all current owners in CW... which might make CW a little more enticing.

#467 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 20 May 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'd also really like a proper balance between clan and IS :) I know clan has to be better but the game also has to be fun so even them out I say. At the moment, the quirks put the IS in the #1 spot. Only a few mechs, mind you. When we attack a CW map against a good IS team using Stalkers 4N (6ERLL) or Dragons 1N (The latter has 18DPS w 2AC5, no XL, 8.5tons of ammo) we really get hammered and nothing of the clan superiority matters. Perhaps we need to practice more (no doubt), but perhaps both clan/IS balance needs to be addressed between the two opponents as much as within the opponent groups: now the two OP clan mechs are the two mechs with both FF and endo in the medium/heavy bracket. It is not a coincidence they are so much better than the others. If all clan mechs have the option to go FF/endo and no fixed equipment, you can nerf the entire clan energy arsenal and not use this awful quirk system. Might work.

You might be playing clans wrong somehow.... Because clan tech is superior in almost every way. You have XL engines that dont instantly kill your mech when you lose a side torso. You have better laser options, all of your body parts are CASE protected, and you are the only ones with omnipods. Hell, clans have some of the best mechs in the game right now (timberwolf, stormcrow). depending on the map in CW, clanners are pretty much shooting IS in a barrel, your superior weapon ranges, protection, speed and survivability completely floor IS mechs. Granted IS has more mech options in the game right now for roles, but when it comes to singular classes clan mechs beat out all but assault mechs. The only thing IS has over clan that is superior (arguably) is that we have better AC damage (1 round =full damage, instead of 2-3 round burst with split damage).
With quirks, IS and clan are on somewhat equal terms. It seems like your failings in CW come either from poor coordination with your team, or poor mech utilization compared to IS teams you are fighting.

Edited by Fobhopper, 20 May 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#468 Havoc Knight

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

I don't like the idea of "These will never be available again" being available again, even if they ask.

Simply put "What's in it for me?" I voted "No". I wanted to vote "Yes" just to get some money flowing into the game I enjoy.

There was no incentive for original Phoenix owners to vote yes. They should have said if we did vote yes, we got an extra mech, item, cbills, or something...

I am sure the votes will "somehow" sway at the last minute to the "Yes" category, let's not fool ourselves here.

#469 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostFobhopper, on 20 May 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

... and until resistance 2 hits, you are the only ones with omnipods.

Unless you know something the rest of us don't, Clans will still be the only ones with Omni-pods in MWO come the release of the Resistance 2 pack.

Edited by Novawrecker, 20 May 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#470 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostHavoc Knight, on 20 May 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I am sure the votes will "somehow" sway at the last minute to the "Yes" category, let's not fool ourselves here.

Except for the fact that the "No" vote has been leading the entire time since voting was allowed. I dont magically see it changing the other way.

View PostNovawrecker, on 20 May 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Unless you know something the rest of us don't, Clans will still be the only ones with Omni-pods in MWO come the release of the Resistance 2 pack.

I must have misread something then. I could have sworn Resistance 2 had omni pods considering these are "Star League" mechs. Looking over the R2 page, it looks like there are no omnipods for IS. Oh well. I was wrong/miss remembered. I will edit my post.

#471 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostFobhopper, on 20 May 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

... I must have misread something then. I could have sworn Resistance 2 had omni pods considering these are "Star League" mechs. Looking over the R2 page, it looks like there are no omnipods for IS. Oh well. I was wrong/miss remembered. I will edit my post.

IIRC, there was a copy-paste error from the Clan package that remained in the original posting of the R2 package. It was corrected a couple of hours after initial release.

#472 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 20 May 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

IIRC, there was a copy-paste error from the Clan package that remained in the original posting of the R2 package. It was corrected a couple of hours after initial release.

Oh good, I though I was crazy. I knew I had seen omnipods in the R2 package listing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users