17 replies to this topic

#1 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

I know PGI might not see this thread, but was wondering if any of you though they would consider the new API. Sounds like it might help alot with the CPU usage problem of this game!

#2 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

From the last Townhall

Imperius 4k textures and high end PC user things?

Needs to ask dev about it, probably a massive client update.. sorry.. probably not going to give you a good answer to this
Definitely need to adjust minimum spec UP!
Want to focus on DirectX 12
Wont take new CryEngine because it drops Direct X 9 support

Kinda hoping here too

Also it's worse than you think
Would have to dig through, but a Dev explained how the game makes a lot of DrawCalls, since the Mechs are made up of so many components
Also explains why AMD users are having more problems generally speaking, that's why AMD thought of Mantle, and everyone is following that idea
So DX12 is needed quite a lot

#3 Kraken973

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

I tried the last FFXIV Benchmark.
DX9 is fast, but DX11 is better when too many characters are on the screen with more stability
DX9 minimum 30fps
DX11 minimum 60fps

MWO don't support SLI or Crossfire.
I don't know why they don't use dx11, but no convertion for dx9 to dx12, only dx11 to dx12.

With DX12 we can have more players in battle and bigger map.

Edited by Kraken973, 18 May 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#4 Xevius Von Morrigan

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

I hope the Dev will implement Mantle API. I read that CryEngine is supported....

#5 Kraken973

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

I tried again MWO today.
DX11 can be run now.

#6 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

From what I've read DX 12 can eliminate some of the draw calls. I think the best part about dx 12 will be the way it handles CPU's. Since this game is VERY and I mean VEEEERY CPU heavy, I think it would be a logical choice to improve performance.

Heres a good article about how DX12 differs. http://wccftech.com/...-compared-dx11/

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

PGI can't update to any newer version of CryEngine, because Crytek is dropping DX9 support. So even if CE eventually adds DX12, MWO won't be able to support it unless Crytek back ports the DX12 to older versions of the engine.

#8 Kraken973

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:46 AM

o

View PostKevjack, on 21 May 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

PGI can't update to any newer version of CryEngine, because Crytek is dropping DX9 support. So even if CE eventually adds DX12, MWO won't be able to support it unless Crytek back ports the DX12 to older versions of the engine.

you can use DX9 or DX11
PGI just need to convert the game for dx12

like this
http://blogs.nvidia....x-12-cryengine/
more characters in the screen with dx12 for FPS

Edited by Kraken973, 23 May 2015 - 01:47 AM.

#9 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:10 AM

Are some people still playing on winXP? Why would dumping dx9 be a problem?

#10 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:12 AM

View PostXevius Von Morrigan, on 18 May 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

I hope the Dev will implement Mantle API. I read that CryEngine is supported....

DX 12 would be enough, seeing as Mantle is AMD only (and even they are not pushing any more on that front)
and a small DEV team here

Posted Image
at least they got the ball rolling

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 May 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

Are some people still playing on winXP? Why would dumping dx9 be a problem?

sigh
most likely

though they really need to upgrade, even if they don't upgrade their hardware
see pic above, even 2 cores can improve
(though keep in mind this Benchmark is pure Drawcalls testing only)

also I'm loving Windows 10 already

#11 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:42 AM

Mantle support is unlikely since if i recall MWO is geared towards Nvidea or however you want to say it. Dx12 more likely but not any time soon remember how long proper Dx11 integration took. Although i agree it would likely make MWO more playable on all systems which would boost player base especially when it hits steam. And yea AFAIK alot of people use XP in general so there prob are atleast a few XP users on MWO.

#12 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:45 AM

PGI caters to the f2p crowd, which seem to run MWO on potatoe-like PCs. That is why we got a game which gets visually worse over time. Sadly, the performance isn't getting better either. Witcher 3 on ultra runs better on my rig than MWO. *sigh*

Also, technical improvement does not bring in cash so don't expect that a lot of ressources are invested in this kind of stuff.

#13 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 25 May 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

Also, technical improvement does not bring in cash so don't expect that a lot of ressources are invested in this kind of stuff.

I cant imagine how it would NOT help the player base? I actually quit MWO until I got a better machine because I simply couldn't keep up! IDK how many people WANT to play this game, but after installing and trying on even a modest rig they can't play effectively.

IDK about cryengine support of DX 12, but you would think there would be a way. The tool set available is just too valuable NOT to use them. From what I have seen The tools available would drastically cut some development time from the tasks at hand. (on an API front at least).

From the preliminary testing available, DX 12 is way better on almost every front. I can't imagine other game developers NOT jumping on the band wagon as soon as they are comfortable with it. I just don't want to see PGI and MWO left behind.

#14 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

Witcher 3 on ultra runs better on my rig than MWO. *sigh*

Sadly most AA games play much better with better graphics on my rig too! (Bioshock infinite at 100FPS maxed out...)

#15 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

PGI caters for the f2p crowd? Well, they always said it was f2p game.

DX12 would be very good fo MWO but unfortunately it does not solve the problems. Dont forget DX12 is win10 only.

Also mantle support is not lkely since AD itself does no longer work on it after the annoucmentof DX12, which does basically the same and is only a littl bit less faster.

#16 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

PGI caters to the f2p crowd, which seem to run MWO on potatoe-like PCs. That is why we got a game which gets visually worse over time. Sadly, the performance isn't getting better either. Witcher 3 on ultra runs better on my rig than MWO. *sigh*

O noes this game doesnt run on my inspiron 1200 laptop with windows XP, I better download some more RAM and programs that make my computer faster.

#17 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostKhanJames, on 25 May 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

Mantle support is unlikely since if i recall MWO is geared towards Nvidea or however you want to say it. Dx12 more likely but not any time soon remember how long proper Dx11 integration took. Although i agree it would likely make MWO more playable on all systems which would boost player base especially when it hits steam. And yea AFAIK alot of people use XP in general so there prob are atleast a few XP users on MWO.

From what I hear before.. Mantle is dead...
Transformed into dunno what Vulkan API.

https://community.am...uture-of-mantle

• Mantle must take on new capabilities and evolve beyond mastery of the draw call. It will continue to serve AMD as a graphics innovation platform available to select partners with custom needs.
    • The Mantle SDK also remains available to partners who register in this co-development and evaluation program. However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext.

As an API born to tackle the big challenges in graphics, much of this evolution is already well under way. We invite you to join AMD this week at Game Developer Conference 2015 to see not just the future of Mantle, but the future of PC graphics itself.

Raja Koduri is Vice President of Visual and Perceptual Computing at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites are provided for convenience and unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such linked sites and no endorsement is implied.

Latest news on mantle was last year...
http://www.amd.com/e...tle#in-the-news

Edited by ShinVector, 05 June 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#18 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostLennStar, on 25 May 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

DX12 would be very good fo MWO but unfortunately it does not solve the problems. Dont forget DX12 is win10 only.

That's why it's free for people who bought a computer or OS license in the last (nearly) 6 years
I've seen people asking in these forums why they're 8 year old (at its time being mediocre at best) laptop with Intel graphics can't run this game
If you're a gamer you don't mind upgrading the OS every decade if it actually brings some advantages

If you don't have a legit license you can still upgrade, just not receiving updates just like now
Windows 10 costs 120$, cheapest way of making you're old pentium4 or CoreDuo last even longer :D

It's the best OS I've ever run (well for gaming I guess) since I've started with windows 95 n MSDOS
Only reason I see for sticking on an older system is HTPC uses, still that's not a system I'm going to put a M2 SSD in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users