Anansi, Panther, Mist Lynx?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

I love lights. Jenners, Spiders, Firestarters, Ravens and now Locusts.

I'm eyeing off the following mechs and would appreciate some advice:

Anansi - it seems very similar to Raven 4X in hardpoints. Does it offer any major advantage or difference in playstyle to the 4X offset its real-$$$ cost, besides more speed? At the moment I may pass.

Mist Lynx - It looks awesome, like an elemental, but is very expensive. Can it do anything unique to justify it's cost? I initially thought ECM+ERPPC but my Spider 5D can do that already. And the Spider goes way faster.

Panther - 2LPL/2ERPPC/3LL? but I suspect I could do the same on a Firestarter or raven. Most affordable option.

Basically, any of these 3 lights offer anything unique in playstyle? Do any of them have builds and game syles I cannot replicate with another one of my owned lights?

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

>Mist Lynx
>is very expensive

what, it's rather cheap, just 6 mlb c-bills and you shouldn't buy an xl engine, dhs upgrade etc (you cannot change its engine and upgrades anyway)

>Can it do anything unique

it's a slow (by is standards, second fastest clan mech past ice ferret) light but it's very jumpy. mlx can easily jump on the wall in hpg manifold for instance, spider can be more jumpy though and mlx is forcedly jumpy... you cannot remove jjs
you also cannot remove the active probe, it is very limited on the weapon weight and if you pick ecm you are also limited on the weapon hardpoints

as for panther it's a slowish light too and is played like urbi, kit fox, adder etc, not like raven, jenner and firestarter

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 16 May 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

the only clan mech I own is the Drizzle Kitten "Mist Lynx", and I love the little bugger. I can't say it is powerful, but it's similarity to a Commando, but stuffed with jump jets just makes for some good times. You lose your arms, and you're done for, but then I don't shy away from difficult mode.

Anasazi should be a great knee ripper, but I just can't get into the Spider chassis - I've tried and we just don't have that spark.

Panther I haven't played, but I condone it's use simply because it isn't a Firestarter!

#4 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Panther plays differently to the other IS lights. It is more about hiding around corners and peeking out.
It may lack what you like about those other lights though. Less running around like a maniac, more slower paced hanging with the mediums in one location peeking from a corner.

Anansi spider is a bit meh IMO, one SRM doesn't have much impact. It plays like the 5K with less MG and an SRM.

You could try Commandos, similar to Locust except far far harder to kill and less firepower.
Probably the trolliest light, you dont punch very hard but can just keep harassing up close with a million little stings.
It is overlooked because it is so unimpressive on paper, but I am more dangerous in one than Firestarter due to immortality and the enemy underestimating the damage the ugly angry baby is doing.

Edited by joelmuzz, 16 May 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#5 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

Considered Commandoes when I boughtmy first Locust, but a bit fugly for my tastes. Only TDK looked worthwhile - I preferred the Locusts ability to bring lasers.

So - none of the three really offer a unique playstyle?

#6 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

Panther is unique play style, but more like a medium.

#7 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

Hmm. Panther appeals for ERPPC purposes due to the quirks on 10K. Dual LL or LPL builds I think I can replicate on a Raven or Firestarter.

How does the Panther compare to a Mist Lynx?

Edited by Dunning Kruger Effect, 16 May 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#8 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

panther is played differently than firestarter or raven, as i have said it's played as urbi, kit fox and adder

mlx is unique because it's very jumpy also having ecm and 0.5-1 tons weapon weight more than a spider which want to jump as well as mlx can (needs 7-8 jjs for that), mlx also can have missiles (jumping better than anansi, the only spider with missiles while having ecm too like spider 5d), like trolling with lrm-5 or lrm-10 etc

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

I have not played the anansi, But i have 3 other spiders and i can say they are fun mechs. the play kinda like a commando with jumpjets, basically the extra 5 tons, you stick a bigger engine in to go the same speed, and the rest load up with JJ's. They pack a little less fire power too. like take the deaths Kneel, you can load up 4 MPL's, but it runs pretty hot so you spend a lot more time cooling off, or just firing 2 weapons, the spider 5V, on the other hand can only run 2 so it is basically it is all about constantly firing. (i've seen matched with a 5V pulling 1k damage by good pilots, so they can really hold their own.)

so basically they boil down to hauling slightly less weight on weapons, but using that tonnage for a bigger engine to go the same speed, and you can add from 8-12 JJ's.. It is the highest flying mech in the game, and probably the most maneuverable which is why people swear up and down about trying to kill the bloody things. I will also add they are a hard mech to master as they play so much different than another other mech i've played.. (i have 49)

with that in mind, it will be much more maneuverable than the 4X.

#10 KoshiManiac

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:02 PM

With the Koshi (look at my name to see why I don't say Mist Lynx... Back in Clix days i showed why the Koshi wasn't the worse mechs by taking down a Zeus with 2 of them ganged up on it and another 2 holding off the rest of his army) the Prime is Scrappy Doo and he just loves to get up close and personal with the biggest guys he sees after unloading his LRMs, Quicksilver ( B ) is pure support mech using his ECM, AMS and Tag while getting pot shots with the ER Large. C is hard to figure out so his name is Oddball. Pretty much unless you have AMS, Clan Active Probe, or ECM your usefullness is over after losing your arms but its fast and its JJ is best described by saying I have no idea how many times I cleared my target landing spot by a couple hundred meters.

Edited by KoshiManiac, 17 May 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#11 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

uac5-anansi best anansi,and im not even kidding

#12 Ultragen

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:46 AM

I own all three Panthers and all Spiders except Anansi. MLX, I do not own and I do not like it but this is personal opinion.

For me, the Anansi is not worth it, only if you want another hero mech for your collection and only when it is on sale. I prefer the 5K...

The Panthers are killers! Especially the 9R for my gamestyle. Fitted it with 3xMPLs and 1xLPL. Not much heat efficient but has a high alpha for a light. With speed tweak it is pretty fast (not a spider) and with chain fire on the MPLs you can prolong the sustained damage in high heat maps. With this little fellow I have achieved 700+ damage multiple times with many kills. It is an excellent finisher with its speed and high alpha. But watch that hand, you get it ripped, and you are just a crash dummy afterwards...

Hope I helped

#13 Koozzo

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

The Mist Lynx's ability to jump higher than all the other given choises gives it the distinct advantage. It may not hit as hard but its ability to scout from higher possitions than any other and find truly evil sniping positions makes it a clear winner in my book.

#14 Kralizec242

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAt the end of the universe.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 16 May 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Hmm. Panther appeals for ERPPC purposes due to the quirks on 10K. Dual LL or LPL builds I think I can replicate on a Raven or Firestarter.

How does the Panther compare to a Mist Lynx?

There is absolutely nothing that the Panther can do that the Raven or the Firestarter can't do better. Poking is dominated by the Raven, energy boating by the Firestarter. BUT, the Panther (and the MLX) are exceedingly fun mechs to play.

I've found that the Panther is considerably tankier than the MLX, and lets you take risks accordingly, both from a combination of hitboxes (which the MLX still suffers from), and the fact that it is ten tons heavier (I would sure hope a 35 ton mech is tankier than a 25 tonner :V).

In regards to play-style, both should be played similarly. Which is to say, hang with the group and lash out on your own whenever you see a target oblivious to you. Both can pack considerable firepower for their weight class, but lack the speed associated with a Raven or Firestarter.

The Panther can get nasty up close; the 9R with four medium pulse lasers has netted me some considerable damage and kills time and time again, while the MLX is relegated to a medium range poker for me with 4 ER mediums. It runs a bit hot, but left unchecked, I've been able to JJ around Emerald Taiga snatching up stragglers and stealing securing kills from teammates.

Edited by Kralizec242, 26 May 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#15 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 16 May 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Panther - 2LPL/2ERPPC/3LL? but I suspect I could do the same on a Firestarter or raven. Most affordable option.

This, actually, is not the way to go here.

I've been seeing people bandy around 'You should always mount SRMs on your Panther' and while I don't absolutely agree (I have one with four medium lasers and an LRM-10 that actually does quite well, strangely enough), the intent there is true. Panthers are best used as small Medium 'mechs that are very reliant on their right arm, so you will want to use the CT hardpoint(s) whenever you reasonably can. I know a lot of people swear by the idea of stripping all the weight they can from everything else to boat, but on a 35-tonner, boating just isn't reasonable.

Panthers are excellent 'gateway lights' due to their relatively low top speeds- if you're used to medium-class 'mechs and want to start learning how to pilot lights, I would say start with a Panther, then move to a Raven and/or Jenner to start working on higher-speed maneuvering.

If you're trying to run your Panther as if it were a Firestarter or Raven, you're generally doing it wrong.

The Firestarter and Raven are generally best used as fast independents- skirmishers and brawlers for the FS9s, and snipers and ambushers for the Ravens- but the Panther is a support light- you hang around your allies and contribute nasty firepower to the scrum from a bit of a distance while being small enough and inobtrusive enough that people don't always notice you as much as they should.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 26 May 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#16 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

The Panther 9R with 2xPPC is amazing fun, i cant really see the point in running MPLs on it when the Firestarter-S does that so much better due to the top speed and hardpoints, but with all the buffs it gets to the PPCs.. man. so fun. 675m range with module so its almost like having ERs, but without the crazy heat.

#17 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

The reason to run MPL on a Panther 9R is that it can corner peek far better than a MPL Firestarter whose weapons are normally going to be spread all over the 'Mech. Since the Panther is taller, there are more pieces of cover that it can use where it only needs to expose its head and arm to take a shot. Panthers are also, ton for ton, among the tankiest lights, and they do very well with pulse brawler builds even in turning fights. The 4MPL SRM4 PNT-9R is one of the only lights I'd be comfortable fighting a Firestarter with rather than screaming for backup- it's a very strong build. Not broken like the 8SPL murderzippo of doom, but strong.

Anansi is... different. Fun, but different, and definitely not easy to perform in because of the relatively low damage output. Definitely not something you want to be fighting other lights or most mediums in, but it is a Spider, so it can drive heavies and assaults into apoplectic fits bouncing around and circling. I run mine with max engine, max jets, 2ML and SRM6. For your purposes, SDR-A is nothing at all like a Raven 4X, despite having similar hardpoints. It can't peek because its mounts are too low and spread out, but... It is faster by 20kph, it can jump higher, the arms are fully articulated, and it has better hitboxes because its CT isn't the size of Texas. It's loads of fun, but it'll never be top tier; try another Spider before you buy it and only spend the money if you discover that you really love Spiders.

I have no experience with the Mist Lynx, so I won't comment on that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users