Attention All Timberwolf And Stormcrow Pilots....

165 replies to this topic

#1 Codeine Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 84 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty (Alberta)

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Looks like its back to streak boats and LURMZ.

That is all.

#2 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hopefully PGI will roll back these quirks. Not very famous with a lot of players...

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

It really does seem like PGI has forced the clans into a closer-range brawling niche, doesn't it? IS can now beat the clans not only in sheer range, but the amount of damage dealt at range. So much for all of our superior technology.

#4 Codeine Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 84 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty (Alberta)

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

I just checked my Timberwolfs quirks. 24% to energy cooldown and 24% to duration.

I get the quirks were meant to tweak things to make them more fair but this is outright neutering.

#5 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

weird title OP, that implies there are clanners who don't use madcats and ryoken to farm

#6 Grazziano

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

Maybe PGI should remove all your negative quirks, give you all your superior tech (i.e. double heat sinks that actually, you know, doubles your heat dissapation, longer range with no increase in beam duration or heat, etc...), allow you to see the IS 12 mans available for battle, (no pilots, just mechs) and bid down your dropdeck to engage. I think it would be interesting to see a IS 12 man vs Clan 7 man or whatever. IS could have the numbers and the clans would have the tech and everybody would be happy!!!! (last statement heavy with sarcasm). Not that this would work probably, but would be fun to try.

#7 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostColonel Codeine, on 20 May 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

I just checked my Timberwolfs quirks. 24% to energy cooldown and 24% to duration.

I get the quirks were meant to tweak things to make them more fair but this is outright neutering.

Fired my ERLL - Got some coffee - came back and my ERLL was still going...

#8 Thanatos31

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationEnroute to Terra

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostMAVRICK64, on 20 May 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Fired my ERLL - Got some coffee - came back and my ERLL was still going...

#truth

#9 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Don t forget to make a Torso Twist....and TK 3 of your Team with the still burning laser....

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 20 May 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

weird title OP, that implies there are clanners who don't use madcats and ryoken to farm

I never have, never once piloted a SCR in CW, and 1 TBR a few times. They are boring, easy mode mechs.

#11 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 20 May 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

I never have, never once piloted a SCR in CW, and 1 TBR a few times. They are boring, easy mode mechs.
boring and easy yes, but when you need to pug drop for an afternoon to farm c-bills those were/are two of the best mechs to choose to do so with

#12 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 20 May 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

Hyperbole,

I run 4 MDD drop decks and well as WHK's HBRs and KTf's

Please go home marik, you dont know anything about the clan wars. Go back to fighting other purple chickens in your own space. :P

#13 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

When dumb@ss baddies are responsible for game balancing this is what you get. Welcome to The IslandTM. That is all.

#14 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

Time to take advantage of all that juicy clan LBX tech.

#15 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 20 May 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

View PostGeist Null, on 20 May 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

boring and easy yes, but when you need to pug drop for an afternoon to farm c-bills those were/are two of the best mechs to choose to do so with

Maybe all this because they were very balanced mechs.

#16 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 20 May 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

So much for all of our superior technology.

I get why players complain about the imbalance. Yes, there's imbalance between the two tech types. In universe, the Inner Sphere pounded the everliving snot out of each other for hundreds of years, while the Clans got all ritualized and tried to outdo each other. That can't be changed. However, nerfing (I've never liked that term, actually) Clan tech to be nothing near what it is supposed to be is bad comedy. I still firmly believe that the game should have been set in the 3057 to 3065 year range, so that new (more comparable to Clan stuff) Inner Sphere tech would be available. Then the incentive to sanitize the Clans' kit would dissolve. People could still run their 3025 favorites, enjoy newfangled weapons and Mechs, or run ungimped Clan rides the way they're supposed to run.

Oh well, what do I know?

#17 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

Basically, PGI has forced me to bring 3 Hellbringers, all with ECM, instead of 2 Timberwolves and a Hellbringer. IS pilots are about to see a lot less of the enemy that's killing them. At least it will be another month or two before PGI nerfs the Hellbringers into oblivion, too.

#18 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I saw the patch notes, and I was like 6% cooldown? I can see that, a straight 6% less damage (actually, a little less because you've got to cooldown after a while) fair enough.

6% laser duration, well I guess that's also going to increase the cooldown, because the cooldown won't start until the beam finishes burning. The only place that really, really hurts is the ERLL, which already has a pretty long burn. But again, that's not too unreasonable.... I don't like it, but it's not unreasonable. I don't really find my Timberwolves to be much better than any of my other mechs, granted it is sort of the top-of-its-class, but it also takes up 75 tons in my drop deck and I have very little in the way of clan light mechs that are even remotely competitive to their I.S. counterparts.

Sure the Timber is good, but the Direwolf is far better in my humble opinion (except in CW for the same lack-of-light-mech reasons), and far more deserving of a nerf. It'd be totally justifiable to give the Direwolf -10% Gauss cooldown, after all these changes were to encourage 'load-out diversity'.

Speaking of loadout diversity, the whole reason everyone and their dog uses laser spam on a Timberwolf isn't hard to figure out. With about 25 tons o' guns to work with, you can't really have a reasonable loadout of ballistics for a 75 ton mech. The Jaeger mech can handle 3 UAC/5, I've seen crazy ******** with 4. Or the classic (and endangered species) of BOOMJaeger (2xAC20). The Timberwolf makes a relatively poor ballistics platform. I find it's a pretty solid missile platform, but there are far more optimal choices out there, if Missiles are the name of the game, I'll take: Hunchback, Kitaro, Mad-Dog, Warhawk, Catapult, Battlemaster, Awesome (etc. etc. etc.)...

And as for mixing ballistics and energy, clans have a rough go on that because of burn times. If you want to increase the diversity of timberwolf builds then LOWER the burn time, so we can switch back and forth between trying to lead our auto-cannons and firin' 'ze lazorz'! Or reduce the shell-count (and up the damage-per-slug) of the Clan AC's. The effect is ultimately the same, but as it stands you spend too much time focusing on leading shots for lasers to be good, or the opposite - spending to much time lasing your target to bring the auto cannons to bear effectively.

Then I loaded the game and found out this **** was per-omnipod and everything changed. 24% cooldown and burn? lordy... I'll just stop playing the Timberwolf until they realize they jumped the shark and over did it.

TLDR:

You over did it. -12-25% quirks are way too harsh.

#19 Dag Jones

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

*Note to myself* Stay calm, don't explode ... stay calm, don't overreact ... stay calm, don't be to offense ... stay calm, please...

I understand that the TBR and SCR Laser builds were called Meta or OP.
For me it was one of the very limited few builds to be used, to compete with the TDRs and STKs in CW.

Instead of detunning the favorite mechs that players like to drive, PGI should have considered to boost other Clan mechs or Omni Pods to raise the diversity.
Taking someones loved things away only raises his anger.
But if you are instead gifting (or boosting) something else it always has a better influence and less anger potential. (Always better to give then take away :) )

I think that PGI failed this time and even drives player off from CW or the game.
I know many Clan player, that are burned out from the Tukayid Event.
But with this Quirks noone has the mood to return.
So less Clan Enemys = Less CW Games with Enemys = Less fun for IS Forces = Less CW = Less player
(Well in one Month, the clans have no planets left anyway. So who cares when CW dies...)

This doesnt look for me like a "win - win" situation for PGI and the Player.

#20 Angel Devereaux

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I said in other threads about this that I would not have been so upset by this if it was not 3% per hard point, that feels very excessive given that we don't have a choice with some of them, they certainly do not want timbers to have dual gauss so naturally there is only 1 arm that has no laser hard points. I would feel better about this if they could have implemented it so that it would only get the penalty if the hard point itself was actually used by something, that would severely penalize boating without severely penalizing people who don't boat but have no choice on which hard points come on the pods they use

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users