Stock 'mechs Only Mode/queue

70 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see a stock 'mechs only mode/queue? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a stock 'mechs only mode/queue?

1. Yes (180 votes [84.11%])

Percentage of vote: 84.11%

2. No (34 votes [15.89%])

Percentage of vote: 15.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 blah40000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

It's been suggested many times before and I think it's time to bring it up again.

Stock 'mechs, compared to most custom builds, are terribly impractical to use. Although it can be fun to play them every now and then. They (arguably) take more skill to use, often times having minimal ammo, low armor, and low-no heatsinks.

Despite their shortcomings there has always been a demand for a game mode/queue where only stock 'mechs can be played. yes, you could make a custom match, but what's to stop that one guy from bringing a decked out customized 'mech? Let's not forget simply assembling a group can be troublesome.

Another reason to have a stock 'mechs only mode/queue would be to help new players learn the game better. It's pretty hard to learn what to do and what not to do when you're in a stock trial 'mech and everyone else has vastly superior builds. In stock 'mechs only everyone has a relatively even playing field.

Please, let's discuss this topic.

#2 The UNremembered

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:13 AM

I am put yes
Yes - this is the most interesting and the most truthful. But there is a champion and heroic, and some chassis that are better than others mechs ...(balance problem)
Lobby game - a bad option, but in the lobby(stock mondays) there are rules and the division into classes.
Sorry for my english (google translayter). :blush:

#3 Erasmos

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostLosyara, on 21 May 2015 - 03:13 AM, said:

I am put yes
Yes - this is the most interesting and the most truthful. But there is a champion and heroic, and some chassis that are better than others mechs ...(balance problem)
Lobby game - a bad option, but in the lobby(stock mondays) there are rules and the division into classes.
Sorry for my english (google translayter). :blush:

I voted yes with NO hesitation.

These are good points too though. o7

#4 Biruke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationMsk, RF, Terra

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Yes. And another idea for the mode: not to refit your mechs to stock. If you have this mech in your mechlab, you can take a stock variant of it into the battle.

#5 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostBiruke, on 21 May 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Yes. And another idea for the mode: not to refit your mechs to stock. If you have this mech in your mechlab, you can take a stock variant of it into the battle.

I do not like your idea, Biruke.

1st - if new player choose stock mode by mistake he will be surprised that his just customized mech is now retrofitted.
2nd - refitting your mech to stock after you've mastered it means more cbills to be spent. So its more attractive to PGI - more chances that mode will be created.

also in my case - i have so many mechs so i can make IS deck, clan deck and have some mechs for random games. But all others mechs just rust in my garage. And if i can bring some of them to stock games it'll be great =)

#6 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

View Postblah40000, on 20 May 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

... help new players learn the game better. It's pretty hard to learn what to do and what not to do when you're in a stock trial 'mech and everyone else has vastly superior builds. In stock 'mechs only everyone has a relatively even playing field...

This right here is exactly what new players need!

#7 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

We should continue to lobby for this. 1) Great place for learning 2) Great place for the "real" feel of battlemech in succession wars era. 3) whole new dimension to the game with no metas. Excellent suggestion

#8 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

Another idea that 'could' work. I would LOVE to see it.

If C-bills were the issue, then have it something akin to the Solaris tourneys. With an entry fee. 16 - 24 mech deathmatch. 1,000,000 C-bill Buy in. Winner gets Rank and points. This fixes the C-bills issue.

Ban champion Mechs. Obviously. But I like this. Even storyline / fluff wise, it's better. Unless you were a Prince, General, or higher you got the mech you were assigned to. No one had the money to retrofit or upgrade a mech. Never Mind completely customize it. Unless I get my lore wrong, by 3050 IS was just starting to be able to roll out new mechs. IS JUST found the LostTech vault. Inner Sphere had spent almost 100 years being unable to fully fix a mech.

#9 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Stock would bring so very needed fresh air in to MWO.
Something that CW failed to do.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 22 May 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#10 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

I would recommend that it is Tech 1 ONLY. No variants with DHS, Endo, Ferro, Uacs, Pulse, Streaks, ECM/BAP/NARC/Artemis, XLs, etc.

OR, have Tech 1, Tech 2 IS, and Tech 2 All.

Tech 1 is 2750 Mechwarrior.

Tech 2 IS is 3050 Inner Sphere only, but allows any Stock loadouts with advanced Tech.

Tech 2 All is Clan and IS, all mechs available as Stock.

Have it as selectable Match types, much like the old Conquest/Assault/Skirmish Tick boxes used to be.

Edited by Thunder Child, 22 May 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#11 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

The IS trial mechs are no longer stock mechs, they are champion (C) mechs. However, the Clan trials are though. Thankfully the days of a poor noob having to drop in a stock Commando are long gone.

Not a bad idea overall, but this would just further divide the player base and make matches more difficult to find.

I would love for PGI to do a trial mech only tournament or event of some sort. Put up a leaderboard for each variant, maybe faction based rewards, or something along those lines.

#12 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

View Postblah40000, on 20 May 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

It's been suggested many times before and I think it's time to bring it up again.

Stock 'mechs, compared to most custom builds, are terribly impractical to use. Although it can be fun to play them every now and then. They (arguably) take more skill to use, often times having minimal ammo, low armor, and low-no heatsinks.

Despite their shortcomings there has always been a demand for a game mode/queue where only stock 'mechs can be played. yes, you could make a custom match, but what's to stop that one guy from bringing a decked out customized 'mech? Let's not forget simply assembling a group can be troublesome.

Another reason to have a stock 'mechs only mode/queue would be to help new players learn the game better. It's pretty hard to learn what to do and what not to do when you're in a stock trial 'mech and everyone else has vastly superior builds. In stock 'mechs only everyone has a relatively even playing field.

Please, let's discuss this topic.

I voted no not because I dont want stock mechs, because I do. I voted No because i dont want a queue for that. All that will do is divide the player base even more. What I would like is an option in Private matches for Stock only.

#13 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Sure, but only if I do not specifically have to keep my 'Mechs stock for it; as in, the system automatically loads the stock loadout when you choose to play Stock Mode. ;)

#14 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:50 AM

I voted no only for the fact of the buckets...

However I wouldn't mind a "every day of this week (or 2nd week) we have an event for stock mechs only!)

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

How about 3025 mode instead because a ton of the stock mechs are absolute rubbish.

#16 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

yes i would love this, however stock mechs are balanced by bv more than weight i would suggest this queue should use c bill value or bv to make even matches not just the tonnage and class of a mech, this may mean making matches with varying numbers but equal bv or c bill values. also quirks should not work at all in a stock mode.

#17 blah40000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

View Postvetal l, on 21 May 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

I do not like your idea, Biruke.

1st - if new player choose stock mode by mistake he will be surprised that his just customized mech is now retrofitted.
2nd - refitting your mech to stock after you've mastered it means more cbills to be spent. So its more attractive to PGI - more chances that mode will be created.

also in my case - i have so many mechs so i can make IS deck, clan deck and have some mechs for random games. But all others mechs just rust in my garage. And if i can bring some of them to stock games it'll be great =)

personally I like the concept of "if you're going into a stock game, it gives you the stock loadout without needing to manually equip it.", but I see what you're getting at in why it could be a minor issue. why not simply add a warning pop-up saying you've selected stock only mode?

and to address the people with community splitting concerns why not just make it a checkbox in the current queue options? that way you could queue for just stock only or have it mixed in with the other regular queues when you ready up.

Edited by blah40000, 30 May 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#18 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

I agree with OPs post and pointers

but I worry about further diluting the number of players due to increase in modes. More modes means longer match maker

I would rather an entire new mode like solaris, then assault, conquest, skirmish in stock mode.

however, we could have "events" that are stock only.

and based on how only through events does the CW queue become manageable, my take is that the regular game should only have assault, skirmish, capture, with everything else ad hoc and event based.

#19 NCwhisper

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:37 PM

stock mechs or fixed slots are needed, because the(laser,missiles,ballistic) boats - destroy this game :unsure:

Edited by Unremembered, 31 May 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#20 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:41 AM

To avoid too much population splinter, some merging would still be needed.

Ie.
<1 min = stock mech only.
1-2 mins = stock + stock champion only.
2+ mins = general queue.

As long as you know in advance that if the matchmaker can't find something quickly, you're going to have a tough fight.

On my alt account, I only use stock mechs. You don't rack up huge damage numbers, but the match scores can easily be in the top half. Dangerous pilots are still dangerous pilots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users