Clan Autocannon Fix In Wake Of Tbr/scr Nerf

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

The recent nerfing of the Timberwolf and Stormcrow mechs has an understandable rational, even if many do not agree with how it was implemented. The cannon configurations for both are almost overwhelmingly laser-centric, and this has shown through in the most prevalent load-outs in MWO.

The problem with the direction taken is two-fold.

First, it unnecessarily harms the ERPPC. Neither can run so cool that heavy PPCs loadouts are advisable, but with almost any omnipod hosting an energy hardpoint it becomes impractical if not outright impossible to incorporate these weapons without taking a major penalty in cooldown time.

Possible Solution: Chance the "+3% energy cooldown" quirk to a '+3% Laser Cooldown quirk"

Second, and more serious, is the state of Clan ballistic weapons (excluding the Gauss rifle), and LRMs, which many players feel range from 'ineffective' to 'ludicrous'.

Possible Solutions:

LB-X Centric: Disband the "Standard Clan Autocannons" and configure these weapons to fire either cluster munitions or military ball. If changing ammunition remains a hangup either require a homogenous ammunition load in the MechLab, or allow players to designate in the MechLab which ammunition type gets used first and require it to be shot through before the second type is in the feed queue.

Standard Autocannon Centric: Change the AC-5, AC-10, and AC-20 cooldown times to match those of the LB-X/Ultra-5, -10, and -20. Then substantially reduce both the number of shots and the duration of a burst, or get rid of the 'burst fire' feature entirely.

Ultra Autocannon Centric: Reduce the number of shots and timing of a burst. Then, in "over-fire" mode, have both bursts fire off concurrently (ie, duration of both primary and secondary bursts overlap to a degree influenced by how quickly the players double taps).

Some mixing and matching on the autocannons would probably yield the most optimal result, but I think the PPC thing seriously needs to be looked at. People were not running them in such numbers to warrant as hard a hit as they took.

#2 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

shhh
they might hear you and instead of buffing will want to nerf them even more.
the TW & Crow should never have gotten the nerf in the first place.

I wonder if we can get enough people who run those mechs or that think it was unfair to get pgi to correct the wrong which was wrought upon these mechs.

no I don't run ether, I run a Adder & a Cat so no bias here.

Edited by VinJade, 21 May 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#3 Harry Mangina

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Don't mess with Clan ballistics, make I.S. ballistics fire the same as Clans do now.

#4 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

Harry that's blasphemy, you may be burned at the stake for such a suggestion, lol ;)
Anyways I do agree make the IS the same as the clans.

#5 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Just tighten up the burst a bit on the ACs and I'd be happy... The 'duration' for firing an autocannon sucks. Either reduce the number of rounds in a burst, or shorten the time between the first, and the last. By at least 25%.

#6 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Dear PGI,

If you wish to encourage more clan gunnery you ought to somehow NOT count the -3% quirks on gun capable torsos or arms that do not have their energy slot(s) occupied. It's complete BS to further nerf your chassis's heat/burn time numbers without the source (an energy weapon) even installed!!!

And if you can not make that happen you ought to make more gun capable torso/arms available without the offending energy weapon slots.

BTW, the "nerf lasers only quirk" vice "nerf all energy quirk" the OP mentioned above would definitely move players toward PPCs.

Edited by ShadowFire, 23 May 2015 - 07:11 AM.

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostHarry Mangina, on 21 May 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Don't mess with Clan ballistics, make I.S. ballistics fire the same as Clans do now.

View PostVinJade, on 21 May 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

Harry that's blasphemy, you may be burned at the stake for such a suggestion, lol ;)
Anyways I do agree make the IS the same as the clans.

I cannot believe it, i am not the only one to ask for it! :D

Btw, just reduce the duration and/or increase the speed of the projectiles ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users