Pc Rig Questions

19 replies to this topic

#1 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hi, had a question. I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 with and FX-8120 that just burnt out(I thought it was a crap CPU anyways). Has anyone used an FX-6350 with MWO and how does that CPU handle it? I'm sure that it has to be better than even the 1st gen 8000 series but was looking for some feedback.

Currently: Sabertooth 990fx r2.0, FX-8120, R9 270x GPU, 8gb DDR3 1866 ram.

My proc burnt out, my HDD crapped out, and I'm thinking it was my PSU causing it, or excessive heat buildup, not sure yet. My PSU is LSP Ultra 750w ATX and am thinking about going to a modular to cut down on cables inside to get better airflow. Am also considering getting a liquid cooling sys for the CPU(fan was exsessively noisy).
Any suggestion appreciated, but especially interested in CPU feedback. Thanks.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

Pretty sure that Piledriver had slightly better IPC than Bulldozer, so a Piledriver chip at the same clock speed would technically perform better in applications that don't make use of the extra threads an 8xxx FX chip would provide. You would be served well by overclocking the living hell out of any AMD chip you end up with, the IPC increase alone probably won't be very noticeable.

Liquid cooling would be a good idea. If you want a good air cooler in order to avoid liquid cooling, look at the higher-end Noctua coolers. They're not usually as loud and they're some of the most effective air coolers out there. With cooling, most of the time you get what you pay for.

A solid PSU might also be a good idea. I recommend Seasonic. SuperFlower PSUs are also decent. Lots of the best PSUs out there from other manufacturers are OEMed by those two. Do your research. If you have the pennies to spare, Seasonic makes a modular 80+ platinum certified 760W PSU that I can personally vouch for. it's quiet, runs cool, and has excellent performance.

#3 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

I'd say take the opportunity to swith to Intel, Lower TDP so would Run Cooler and Better IPC so better MWO Performance
For Coolers, I'd Recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Series if you want to stay with Air Cooling, if you go For Liquid Cooling, I'd say do it right the first time and spend the Money on a Swiftech Unit.
For PSUs, I'd say Seasonic or XFX (Or another Brand that Seasonic Builds for)
if you have the $$$, I'd say go for something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($183.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.50 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $764.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-21 17:19 EDT-0400

Edited by Lord Letto, 21 May 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#4 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Ignoring for the moment how the mobo would live though the PSU killing the CPU, the first question is do you have a MicroCenter nearby?

If not, then we check down into dealing directly with your question: Vishera is better, yes; But after that is "Will Cryengine miss the fourth Module?" The 22DEC2014 Patch did something magical for Piledriver derivatives, and there was some devlopment work put into it's settings, but somehow, I just think a '70E would be better.

And, yeah: Google a review of any PSU you threaten to pay money for …

#5 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

I'll be sticking with AMD for now as I don't have the extra money to switch all the way over to Intel(their stuff is seriously expensive and I'm poor), but had thought about it. I'll definitely check into the Seasonic PSUs. And my first thought was heat buildup actually. Been wanting to get one of those Noctura setups if I didn't go liquid anyways. Noctura sure has a lot of good reviews.

The CPU light on the mobo lights up, does not go out, and I don't get the beep. I was going to recover my drive to my smaller backup drive with a Hirens disk since I had nothing on it and that's when the proc light started staying on solid and the fans weren't firing up. This was my first PC home build that I made right after the launch of the original closed beta, so I've run it hard and put it away wet for several years now.

TY for the posts! I'll definitely check into this info.

#6 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostZekester81, on 21 May 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hi, had a question. I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 with and FX-8120 that just burnt out(I thought it was a crap CPU anyways). Has anyone used an FX-6350 with MWO and how does that CPU handle it? I'm sure that it has to be better than even the 1st gen 8000 series but was looking for some feedback.

Currently: Sabertooth 990fx r2.0, FX-8120, R9 270x GPU, 8gb DDR3 1866 ram.

My proc burnt out, my HDD crapped out, and I'm thinking it was my PSU causing it, or excessive heat buildup, not sure yet. My PSU is LSP Ultra 750w ATX and am thinking about going to a modular to cut down on cables inside to get better airflow. Am also considering getting a liquid cooling sys for the CPU(fan was exsessively noisy).
Any suggestion appreciated, but especially interested in CPU feedback. Thanks.

I built computers for two of my friends (one an artist, the other a gamer) that are built around the 6350 and they have had no complaints. spend the extra though and get the 8350 if you can. I use an Antec H20 for cpu cooling. Go with a corsair or thermaltake (easier to install)

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 21 May 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostZekester81, on 21 May 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

… and I don't get the beep.

Pull the DIMMs, or the video card, and see if you get the right beeps out'a that …

#8 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostGoose, on 21 May 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

Pull the DIMMs, or the video card, and see if you get the right beeps out'a that …

Holy crap, my main power cable wasn't quite in all the way on the MOBO. I would have never checked that if you hadn't have said something because without a super close look it looked seated. Saw it when I was getting ready to pull the GPU. Lmao, cpu fires now. I think I need a new PSU because the 24 pin cable has wiggle room without actually lifting the tab. Now I wonder how that happened... I guess all I need to get is a HDD, and maybe a PSU with a tighter clip on the cable.
\
Edit: TY for all the suggestions anyways everyone. Now I think I know some of the things I want to upgrade on it, and for my next build too(for the kids). Still going to look into those PSUs and a Nocturne or liquid cooling sys.

Edited by Zekester81, 21 May 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostZekester81, on 21 May 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

Holy crap, my main power cable wasn't quite in all the way on the MOBO. I would have never checked that if you hadn't have said something because without a super close look it looked seated. Saw it when I was getting ready to pull the GPU. Lmao, cpu fires now. I think I need a new PSU because the 24 pin cable has wiggle room without actually lifting the tab. Now I wonder how that happened... I guess all I need to get is a HDD, and maybe a PSU with a tighter clip on the cable.
\
Edit: TY for all the suggestions anyways everyone. Now I think I know some of the things I want to upgrade on it, and for my next build too(for the kids). Still going to look into those PSUs and a Nocturne or liquid cooling sys.

Good catch then!

Given as above you stated your budget tends to be on the low side, most of Seasonic PSU's will be an over expense.
EVGA makes some solid lower cost units.
But always google and read reviews.

#10 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 22 May 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

Good catch then!

Given as above you stated your budget tends to be on the low side, most of Seasonic PSU's will be an over expense.
EVGA makes some solid lower cost units.
But always google and read reviews.

WAT?

Seasonic and EVGA PSUs at similar/same wattage are within a few dollars of each other on Newegg unless you're also including pricing on refurb units (please never buy a refurb PSU, guys). EVGA units are OEMed from multiple manufacturers and you have to do a ton of research into specific models to try and figure out which one is coming from where. Obviously Seasonic makes their own units.

There was that one EVGA unit that we've repeatedly recommended, and I believe it's a SuperFlower unit that is of very good build quality with good performance. I have no objections to that one specifically, but other ones... yeah, do your research or maybe spend the $0-10 extra and just get a Seasonic right off the bat.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 22 May 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

WAT?

Seasonic and EVGA PSUs at similar/same wattage are within a few dollars of each other on Newegg unless you're also including pricing on refurb units (please never buy a refurb PSU, guys). EVGA units are OEMed from multiple manufacturers and you have to do a ton of research into specific models to try and figure out which one is coming from where. Obviously Seasonic makes their own units.

There was that one EVGA unit that we've repeatedly recommended, and I believe it's a SuperFlower unit that is of very good build quality with good performance. I have no objections to that one specifically, but other ones... yeah, do your research or maybe spend the $0-10 extra and just get a Seasonic right off the bat.

Your so off base these days when you try to push your favourite brands man :P

The 650GS your talking about (i think we're talking about the same unit) is made by Seasonic.
The EVGA units made by superflower and based of the leadex line of SF PSU's are the SuperNova G2/P2/T2 (you only have to go as far as your second google result for the newbies) so again it's hardly a "ton of research"
The others by FSP mostly and they are definitely mixed.

Alternatively you can go here for every PSU OEM http://www.realhardt...os/Page2293.htm

In terms of prices again your off (but not by much) *unless Newegg has some crazy deals not listed on part picker*

EVGA 650GS $64.99
EVGA G2 750W $95.99
Seasonic SS 650W $123.98
Seasonic 750KM3 $128.88
https://pcpartpicker...&sort=a9&page=1

So not quite your $0-$10 difference, and if someones on a budget as the OP said he would be that's $60-30 saved or recycled into CPU/GPU etc while still netting a quality reliable PSU.

Edited by DV McKenna, 22 May 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

lol, that EVGA 650GS is a Seasonic unit.and the G2 is a SuperFlower unit. I don't have to push a brand when other brands use them as OEMs. I only have to direct people to look at who the unit was OEMed from, which is what I do. When there's a tiny difference, I will always go with the OEM over a rebadge that might be tweaked by the supplier before production (Corsair is notorious for that, would not shock me if others do).

If you do a power search on Newegg and only select Seasonic and EVGA, you can see what I'm talking about. I wouldn't rely on that pcpartspicker site for prices since they seem like they can change minutes after you select something. it's also missing tons of models and prices. Hardly what I would call reliable in that regard.

That site with a list of what is OEMed by who is awesome. Been awhile since I needed to search for one so I wasn't aware there was such a nice, organized list. Add that to the list of things PGI should sticky in here but doesn't.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 22 May 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

lol, that EVGA 650GS is a Seasonic unit.and the G2 is a SuperFlower unit. I don't have to push a brand when other brands use them as OEMs. I only have to direct people to look at who the unit was OEMed from, which is what I do. When there's a tiny difference, I will always go with the OEM over a rebadge that might be tweaked by the supplier before production (Corsair is notorious for that, would not shock me if others do).

If you do a power search on Newegg and only select Seasonic and EVGA, you can see what I'm talking about. I wouldn't rely on that pcpartspicker site for prices since they seem like they can change minutes after you select something. it's also missing tons of models and prices. Hardly what I would call reliable in that regard.

That site with a list of what is OEMed by who is awesome. Been awhile since I needed to search for one so I wasn't aware there was such a nice, organized list. Add that to the list of things PGI should sticky in here but doesn't.

Goose should be a volunteer mod for the HW forum

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

… The Guide I think about writing keeps growing like a tumor …

Edited by Goose, 22 May 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#15 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 22 May 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

Goose should be a volunteer mod for the HW forum

+1
GOOSE FOR HW FORUM MOD!
(Do we even have any?)

Edited by Lord Letto, 22 May 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#16 Hashmonk

Rookie

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

I've been running Intel procs forever so no help there, sorry. But for CPU cooling I switched over to a Corsair H100i about 18-ish months ago and doubt that I'll ever go back to heatsink & fan only setup. The H100i was stupid easy to install. I'm running a HAF X so space wasn't a concern but be sure to check on different hardware forums for space requirements with your case. And yes, I highly recommend a modular PSU. I've always had great results with Thermaltake, Antec, Silverstone, Corsair and EVGA PSU's. And switching to a case with good airflow to go with a modular PSU never hurts. Also, depending on the dust level where you're at, it's always a good idea to clean out your case often. Central Utah is pretty damn dusty so I'm usually taking mine apart right around every 60 days.

#17 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

http://www.hardocp.c...t/#.VV-wD09VhBc
http://www.techpower...h/H240-X/6.html

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 22 May 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

I wish that was available here :/

#19 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

Another PSU list that may be more suited for repeated forum posting/ pinning.

Only given it a quick look over ( the best and the worst) and it looks pretty accurate to me.

Posted Image

#20 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

I think some of the Tier 3 units are under-rated, as many of them have been reviewed by good reviewers (Jonny Guru, Hardware Secrets, Hard OCP, etc) and easily exceed ATX specs and rated power output (I'm frightened that apparently some 2b units do not).

Still, I think it puts most things where they should be relative to each other at least.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users