Just Found Out That My Area Is Getting Fiber :-)

13 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

I live in the boonies man! I live off a county road that is gravel, and then my drive that is a mile long that fronts and goes thru about 500 acres of properties divided among 8 property owners is private and the up keep is ours to divide the cost of gravel...plowing... etc. Just found out we are getting Fiber lines run out here, I guess a high dollar client wants them put in out here, and boom, August is the month they will go in. Things just got even better out here in the boonies! :D

#2 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

is this you by any chance: Posted Image

#3 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 21 May 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

is this you by any chance: Posted Image

Hell no! I am in the middle of a national forest preserve, nothing but woods, hills, deer, rabbits, and **** out hear. Very private, very quite, like no traffic. I thought it would be 5 years min before I saw fiber out this way. I am getting 10 mg download right now, and .412-.5 mg uploads. Ping is at around 70-130 right now....looks like things will be getting much better come August. :D

Btw... I have two addresses, one is a mail address and the other is a 911 address... kinda like the JFK movie and the building that they ran out of. :lol:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 May 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

So no more Metamucil for you?

#5 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostBront, on 21 May 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

So no more Metamucil for you?

Nope... I guess not, plenty of Fiber in the morning for me.... but now a steady diet of even more Fiber coming in August. Thank god for high dollar people moving in down the road from me! I really didn't think I would see Fiber out this way for years. Its really hill billy out here man! I am so excited...I think I just ****** in my pants. :lol:

I could be wrong, but I think this might just open up other choices in providers..... Charter.... etc. I am paying $80 bucks a month right now for a phone line I don't even use, its required for the internet, $50 for the phone line, and $30 for the 10mg down load/ .5mg upload connection. Up in Loves part IL I was only giving charter $14.95 a month for a 20mb down, and 6 mg upload connection. What a rip off RTC provides down here. When it storms, my connection goes all buggy.... fades in and out like Huges or dish network or some ****!

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 May 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#6 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Awesome Bill, glad to hear you can now have a great connection to do just about anything on the internet now without any hindrances.

#7 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 21 May 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Awesome Bill, glad to hear you can now have a great connection to do just about anything on the internet now without any hindrances.

I am pumped about this... seriously, my connection doesn't suck ass, but compared to what I got with Charter up in northern IL vs. the prices and upload speed, before I moved here after building my house, its looking much better for sure!

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 May 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#8 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, Fibers are pretty new, you got really lucky, as they're putting them in major cities. To have it in a remote area is just, well... Gold!

#9 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 21 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Yeah, Fibers are pretty new, you got really lucky, as they're putting them in major cities. To have it in a remote area is just, well... Gold!

Yeah, I guess one of the peoples that live out this way wants it put in, and needs it put in. This is like finding a rich person that wants black top on the county road that is gravel and pays to have it put in all the way down to your house. Its just freaking awesome.... I needs to find out who it is and thank them. :D

I tried to have a well drilled and got screwed by a local driller here, had to sue them and won. Well had to go down to about 360' to produce water. County water lines don't even run all the way down our county road that is gravel here. The lines are about 2 miles away, not that I would ever use county water lines anyways... peoples meds and god only knows what else is in the water supply. I think it would take around $15,000 to $20,000 grand to run them down to my place anyways. I haul water in from a spring that produces 99.9% clean water right off the white river, and collect rain water here and use bio sand filters for my water. Its really boonies here, organic gardens and ****... love the life, but things like the internet speeds are/ was a issue for me, well, not anymore. :)

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 May 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#10 S204STi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 21 May 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

I live in the boonies man! I live off a county road that is gravel, and then my drive that is a mile long that fronts and goes thru about 500 acres of properties divided among 8 property owners is private and the up keep is ours to divide the cost of gravel...plowing... etc. Just found out we are getting Fiber lines run out here, I guess a high dollar client wants them put in out here, and boom, August is the month they will go in. Things just got even better out here in the boonies! :D

Lucky *******.

#11 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostS204STi, on 21 May 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

Lucky *******.

Ha ha... not lucky, took the last 10 years of my life busting ass to build my house and pay my land off, no loans, all sweat. Its been a trip man, but in the end, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have always believed in the concept of building a base that is loan free, a place to always fall back on, and if I want to risk other property, that is one thing, but this place will always stay debt free.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 May 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#12 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Congrats dude!

It's funny, my Dad is a big man at Corning, the guys who make the fiber optic cables, and yet I don't think anyone in our family has ever gotten to use fiber optic internet : p

I envy you.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 21 May 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#13 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 21 May 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

Congrats dude!

It's funny, my Dad is a big man at Corning, the guys who make the fiber optic cables, and yet I don't think anyone in our family has ever gotten to use fiber optic internet : p

I envy you.

That is crazy man, you would think that he and family would be the first to enjoy the extra speed. :blink:

#14 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

I envy you. Living my dream. haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users