#141 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:41 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

What lore reasons?

Mostly personal lore rather than BT lore to be honest. Playing tabletop back "in the day" (I'm talking probably late '80s, maybe as late as 90-91 was the peak of my tabletop BT career) the PHawk was always a favourite in my group. A famous example was a 3 or 4 turn, cross-map charge at ... I want to say an Awesome but it might not have been that heavy. Lets stick with Awesome.

A couple of lucky shots disabled all the Phoenix Hawk's weapons almost immediately but he decided to run, full pace to try to charge down the Awesome which stood and tried to shoot him to pieces before he could get there. From memory, if he had managed to deliver the charge it would have been devastating with an effective 20+ hex run-up. Armor was stripped off by the ton and as the Awesome began to heat up, its shots started to go wide and it looked more and more like this suicidal charge was going to, if not save the day then at least redeem the pilot.

He was about 2 hexes short at the end of his turn. So the Awesome would have one final chance to drop him. By some miracle the PHawk had survived up until this point and we all waited to see what would happen when this epic charge came to its triumphant end. But the dice had other ideas. The first shot hit CT and removed the last remaining scraps of armor. Second shot hit CT again, internal damage and a crit. Crit roll ... engine destroyed.

We decided that such a anticlimactic finish could not be allowed to stand so made an on-the-spot ruling that the engine Stackpoled and utterly destroyed everything within 3 hexes. Everyone (including the Awesome pilot) decided that this was a fitting finish to the most epic charge any of us had ever seen.

Aside from all that, the hardpoint combinations look good and having now seen some of the builds people are coming up with, I'm excited to get building. I've picked up the standard pack and reinforcements. None of the heroes really appealed to me. Unfortunately I've been really busy at work this week so I haven't had a proper chance to play with builds in Smurphy.

Edited by cleghorn6, 23 June 2016 - 04:43 AM.

#142 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Ok, so I've posted up a bunch of Crab videos. I've stopped here because the rest of them are the most hideous run of ridiculously bad matches I've ever had the misfortune to experience. I mean, even worse than the *spit* GRF-1S.

My CRB-27SL build *should* be good. It should do serious work. I just can't make it go. It's XL squishy, so there's that. Plus apparently the match maker thinks it should be matched with morons, which doesn't help. Carry Crab can't carry that hard. I immediately stripped it but stopped short of selling the chassis. I mean, it really *should* work. Maybe I'll get a chance to come back and figure it out.

#143 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Ok, the CRB-27SL death march is up. It's awful. 11 matches, 3 wins, I'm going to guess a grand total of 1000 points damage. Ugh.

Watch this match where I tried out the resized Lolcust PB, but not any of the others.

Next up - Phoenix Hawks!

#144 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Ok, there are a few PHX matches up. I just finished Basic skills on the PHX-1 and stripped it because it's a piece of ****. I defy you to prove me wrong.

#145 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

coolness!

#146 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

Sweet hopscotching jeebus I hate this 'mech. Posted Image

Edited by cleghorn6, 11 July 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#147 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

PHX-1K matches are up, also the PHX-1 awfulness. the -1K I took 6 matches to complete the Basic skills. The -1 took 13.

I don't often get a PSR= on a win. Literally only a handful of matches in the several hundred I've posted since PSR became a thing. In the PHX-1 I did 3. Out of 13. Oh. My. God.

I mean, I'm sure I could slap 3xLL on it and do better but I own 5 variants of this thing, I can't make them all the same. That's no fun at all. Neither is having your shiny metal *** handed to you match after match after match, it turns out.

*sigh*

I'll post up the -2 matches tomorrow night. Very much a repeat of the -1. ECM and 6 x MPL SHOULD BE SO GOOD.

But isn't.

#148 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

I think all my terribad PHX matches are up. I moved on to the 3S with 3LL and was planning to just never touch another Phoenix Hawk again. Which made me sad.

So sad in fact that I decided I'd give the halfway decent ones another go. So I'm Eliting out the 3S, the 1K and the 1B, because reasons. 3LL is pretty much the build for all of them, which is a bit boring but the other two, which allow different things, ARE JUST SO GODDAMNED AWFUL!!!WTF!

Now that I've completed the Viper personal challenge (in a PHX, obvs), I'll post up some actual decent matches that you might like to watch. I've had Medium Madness and Viper challenges, which mean I'd rather be playing than posting up videos. This whole gamification thing hits all my buttons.

#149 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:10 PM

I thought I'd lost my mojo there for a while. Just wasn't enjoying playing at all. Was trying a few different things and just not contributing meaningfully to a match. I even rage-quit a match so hard...

So I'm just mucking about for a while until I find my way off Mount Try-Hard. I built a ShadowHawk (3 x AC2, 2 x SRM4) which is super fun, I might try building my Maulers or something. I don't know. Just mix and match for a bit.

I'm gradually catching up with the videos too, so keep an eye out.

#150 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Ok, I'm done with the PHX videos for now. I Elited the 3S and 1K and bailed on the 1B. I've put up some attempted Splatcat matches, mostly unsuccessful. There are a couple of random Loyalty 'mech videos to come, then my ShadowHawk build I mentioned last post, which turned out to be so much fun I built another one, just in time to get face f*cked in the Assault Challenge thingy. So I switched to something sneakier. You'll see what I mean when I post it up.

#151 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

You know, one nice thing about double XP weekends?

It takes half the time to get the basic, eletie and master skills for 'those mechs' that we all love.
(vindicators come to mind a bit)

#152 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Agreed. Until recently I really didn't have any of those (or at least, none I hadn't already done the hard way) but I think on the next Double XP event, I'll be levelling up a bunch of my weird problem child loyalty 'mechs.

I really should just stop buying 'mechs. It would make my mission to do Basic skills on all of them much easier.

#153 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

I am way behind on my videos again. So there's that. I haven't done a First Impressions series for a while though, so I've posted up my Cyclops first impressions.

I'll catch up on the others ... later. Probably. Eventually.

#154 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Ok, so I caught up with my Cyclops 1st impressions videos. Which means I'm now only 3 weeks behind.

FML.

#155 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:06 AM

Oh, I did put up a couple of fun DWF matches up just now which I had almost forgotten about. I was watching some random Twitch streamer running this 3xLB10X, 2xLPL Dire Wolf build which looked like fun. I had finished Mastering the SHD-2D2 so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm no Assault pilot, for reals. But I did ok, I think, and it was super fun, so there's that. I'll come back to this one, one day.

Anyway, in the videos going up now, I'm now grinding out the JR7-K to Master. Somehow I had missed this one, I've Mastered all the other Jenners (not the IICs, yet). Hold on to your hats, it's a wild ride.

After that comes the Marauders, which I've never levelled up (mostly because they're Heavies and I couldn't be bothered waiting when the queue is 40%+ Heavy).

#156 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

Ok, so last Jenner Mastery match just went up.

Marauder 3R fun and a rebuild after 2 terrible matches, coming right up.

#157 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

OH HAI!

If anyone is still reading this AND is watching the matches I'm posting up (YT stats says there are a couple), I'm done with the Marauders for now and I'm now running ... the MAULER!

Dakka Mauler first up and a couple of awesome matches to kick things off. Things will get worse, especially when I try to avoid the LURM Assault but once I embrace the dark side, things start to improve.

It will make sense when we get there.

#158 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

After being super slack with my updates, the push is on to get to 1000 videos. I've got a stack I'm working through publishing then I'll be super close. I may have to come up with some sort of giveaway or something for my 1000th.

I changed my recording software, I'm using OBS Studio rather than the smaller version. You should see a significant improvement in the quality of the videos. Leave me a comment if you can see the difference, or not.

#159 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

Damn, 1K videos. That is impressive

#160 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint