28 replies to this topic

#1 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStar Leagues afield.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

INTRO
So we have been mastering those mechs. And we master them and continue to amass XP, some may be converted to GXP, but even this has a limit nowadays. And we (well, most of us) want PGI to have financial health to keep on (ways to use MC, like XP-GXP conversion).

PROPOSAL
Can we have our own personal champion mechs? Even hero mech of our own devising?

The proposed system goes as this:

- First, master the mech
- Second, amass more than one million XP (1,000,000+!)
- Third, get those MC ready
- Fourth, use that XP and MC to select a customized upgrade for the mastered mech
- Fifth, return to second step.

MECHANICS
A handy customized upgrade table is included:
- each million xp needs a thousand MC to use for upgrade
- additional/better hardpoint: one million XP + 1000 MC (shoulder mount, one more arm hardpoint, etc)
- cross-tech equipment: one million XP + 1000 MC (command console, c-ecm, etc)
- cross-tech weapon: one million XP + 1000 MC (is ml, c-uac20, is ac20, etc)
- cross-tech engine: five million XP + 5000 MC (is std300, c-xl300, etc)
- 30% xp boost: three million XP + 3000 MC
- 30% c-bill boost: five million XP + 5000 MC

CLOSING THOUGHTS
Because I have unlocked almost everything I want on the pilot tree and those GXP are accumulating (I like to xp-grind my new mechs), and some chassis I have are on the hundreds of thousands XP, and I know I'm not the one with the most millions of xp to throw around.

And we all know that perhaps some new art will be needed. That's good, we want programmers, and we also want designers and artists.

And we lore-nerds have heard of many, many cross-tech mechs, developed after months or even years of toil.

#2 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

I would prefer the techs stay separate. I don't think cross teching would be good for the game at all.

#3 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hi, verybad,

the proposal has multiple points, the cross-tech is one of them.

What about the personal hero/champion mech? Additional/better hardpoints?

#4 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

For a million mechxp and 1000 mc I'd definitely paqy for a hero bonus! SO MUCH MONEY FROM HUNCHIEES!!!!!

#5 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

That would create pay to win Monster. Dragon with Clan XL?.....Huggin..Clan XL.....Clan fast fire SRM4? Nope not that way.

#6 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Regarding the title of the thread, we have been over this before. Not happening.

Everything else...? Meh. Nothing I have any pressing need for, so my vote is neutral.

#7 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hi, Marc von der Heide

Pay to win? More like play to win, as one do needs 1 million plus xp to get one of these upgrades. Note: no gxp accepted. One million xp is like a thousand matches, of half a thousand very good matches. That's plenty.

thanks (should I say "Danke"?)

#8 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

no cross tech please.

#9 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

You wrote get MC ready.....MC are mainly for cash here....

#10 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

I absolutely LOVE the Idea of Cross-Tech. My Direwolf NEEDS Quad IS AC20s.

In all Seriousness though. This idea about Mech upgrades has been around before. I have always been in favour of it, because I have a few Chassis that I just love to Death.

BUT, I would limit the bonuses to Cosmetic or Financial Only. Not Tech, Hardpoint, or Mechanics Changes.

Edited by Thunder Child, 22 May 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#11 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

you gotta be kidding right?

but the exp could be used in some way to make people play without gaining any advantage
for example, "veteran" camo (beaten up or polished version) or decals
make the mech "permanent" (not sellable) and free up a mech bay
jjs with custom colour
cockpit glass with custom colour or a "shattered" look
destructible (0 hp, does not absorb damage, just to have fun at start) cosmetic items (just imagine a timberwolf with a santa hat and a bag of presents, or an atlas with a top hat and a monocle)

#12 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

I disagree with your some of your suggestions because it could break the game. But hero mech bonuses like xp grants, c-bill boosts on my Spider-5D I've been piloting for 3 years now. That's tempting.

It's wouldn't affect every player, just the vets. But eventually everyone will become vets. So PGI will need to expand the playerbase and grow. Or else too many of us will be prestige'd/elite punks who've earned their way to play p2w mechs for free. And PGI will go broke on players who don't need to pay for anything else ever again. So they must change the game. Like by adding Lostech. By that, it devalues older products. Unless if they balance the game out and do not break it...

The boosts I agree with. But only if it's not too advantageous. But still provides an incentive for us, the people who've wasted THAT much of our lives on this game. Cause if I get to a point where I will only ever buy Clan mechs(for free or by packages) because that's all I'll ever need to expand my gaming experience. Than I'll be sitting around will all these accolades like old mechs with high scores, using some while I have a warehouse amount rusting in between each game. And I won't ever have a reason to play this game again, cause I am waaaaay too familiar with it. I'd be playing a game that maybe might've had vision for the future of this battletech franchise, but in the end just got stale. And I got more of my life back, right there. And moved on for better things.

-Please, don't read the preceding mistakes. Although it's true. Can't have 3yr old MWO-stuff collect dust while the game becomes something larger than just a grindfest. So please, give Vets C-bill boosts!

Edited by Zephonarch II, 23 May 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#13 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virginia

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Allowing IS mechs to mount Clan equipment will not break the game. Id still drive my Jag DD with IS UAC5s, and Clan MPLS Clanners would be driving Garrison or Solahama mechs which are IS mechs with mixed tech and some with IS tech. It would actually level the field. Kinda like in the actual BT Lore, After Tukayid most Comstar mechs had some sort of clan tech, after Luthien, most of the IS defenders had clan mechs and clan tech, After Coventry. And by 3052 many units are using clan tech on IS machines, mostly its electronics, or weapons, Grey Death Legion, Black Thorns, Snords Irregulars, Kell Hounds, and of course Wolfs Dragoons. Kurita, Stiener and Davion all have clan mechs and equipment, which they broke down and reverse engineered to devise new IS tech to one up or compete with. Innersphere omnimechs. I would enjoy seeing IS mechs with mixed tech, and clan warriors driving any mechs they choose.

#14 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Some sort of alternative to spending the XP would be nice.
But there are some directions that it can't go and others that it just shouldn't.

You don't want to present options that will create balance issues and force additional changes.
Unless the ability to earn XP in the chassis was turned off once you had the master skill, you would always need a way to dispose of the excess points.

It would have to either be done with:

An expansion of the mech and pilot skills.
  • Add in some chassis specific skills for the mechs to highlight their uniqueness.
  • Add in pilot skills for some of the equipment that currently doesn't have skills.
  • Add in an Elite and Master layer for pilot skills.
Or, allow an exchange of XP for c-bills. (At some lop sided exchange rate)
This is the simplest answer.

However, there were some good ideas in the other posts.
Perhaps when decals are introduced, being able to purchase some decals with XP would be nice. +
Something that reflects the experience you have sunk into that particular variant:
  • Kill markers as you would see on the WW2 vehicles. For every 200,000 XP you can add one extra mark. Bit like levelling up the modules.
  • Damage decals as was suggested above.
  • A military rank decal, once again upgradeable.... though maybe this should link to the faction loyalty.
The 'Experienced' camo scheme as suggested above is also a nice idea.
Being able to convert the variant into some sort of 'Hero' variant where you can get a c-bill only bonus. (would seem ridiculous to get an XP bonus when that's what we are trying to eliminate).
Perhaps this is what the camo scheme conveys or it could be separate.

#15 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

I like the idea of custom upgrading to champion or hero status. Include a custom paint job with that.

but no cross-tech... that would ruin game balance... imagine clan mechs with IS ballistics... simply OP..

#16 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

Ugg... deffinitely more than no... more like nononononononnononononono
This would be so blatantly pay to win it isnt even funny any more. Any change which gives you an advantage which is only available through purchasing MCs makes it automatically P2W.
Leave the mechs and the Techs separate so that each side has their advantges and dissadvantages and gets players to use their brains to pilot their chosen mechs.

#17 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

The power-hungry warmonger in me wants cross tech. I'll confess to it. But the realist says no. I don't think the game or its player base is ready for that, not only from a timeline perspective but from a min-max perspective. There are many players who have enough Cbills sitting around that they could kit out most of their IS stable with clan tech easily, and vice versa. And it most definitely couldn't be allowed strictly with MC as that would undoubtedly give rise to the P2W accusations, fairly too, I might add. In any case, I don't want to see cross tech at this point, and probably not for a long way off. TT is different, but in MWO, I don't know if I'll ever want to see it no matter how badly I'd like to cram a large clan XL into my Atlas/King Crab.

That said, I would like to see more customization, especially if I've the money (Cbills) to burn. And I could have sworn that I read a while back that they were revamping the skill/pilot tree. I think that aspect could use some love. It's too generic at this point. But I don't think I'd consider it a priority at this point.

#18 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

There is a line between IS tech and Clan tech.

Is Tech | Clan Tech

Do you see it? It's not a skewed line. It's a straight, solid line. It is a divider. We do not cross this line, because when we cross this line, there is no going back.

To break it down; Clans would get what they want (DECENT ACs and good LRMs), and IS would get what they want (ER lasers, larger streaks, XL engines that don't die, and overall lighter equipment). These are bad. Canonically, when the IS got Clantech, they never stopped using it, because it was flat out better. Imagine IS 'Mechs with the durability of no-kill XL side torsos. Imagine it on an Atlas. Imagine a SSRM6 Splat Cat. Imagine an Awesome boating Clan ERPPCs. Now, imagine a Dire Wolf boating IS AC20s. Imagine a Warhawk boating IS LRMs.

This is not a situation that I, or many others want to see. No Mixtech. Also, MC for everything? MC is real money, man. That's classified as pay to win.

#19 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Mixtech is bad. No.

#20 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virginia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

Besides the clans eventually losing their edge and the war field leveling, why is mixed tech bad? All im seeing is "no" AS PGI says they are following the fluff and some sort of timeline, The IS does eventually do just that. Mix the tech. The IS quirks should not work on clan tech, ever. And no swapping endostell, ferro fibrous armor. Did any of you play classic tech(table top) before the MWDA thing ruined the universe? Read the novels, or Tech readouts? The clans used the IS tech and lostech from their Brian Caches. For some reason the Dont mix the tech, is making me think of Ghostbusters, "Dont cross the streams"

Edited by SgtMac, 27 May 2015 - 01:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users