7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Very simple plan I have. Get rid of the quirk system and take the positive quirks (improved armor/stuctue improved speed longer range etc.) And put them where the weapon mods exist now with say ~5 slots to work with? just as an idea;
  • Armor +15 (CT)
  • Ac/5 range +20
  • lrm 5/10/15/20 cooldown -10
  • Speed +5%
  • ERLL duration -20
There a long range setup with some additional armoring to the ct.

These can be you active quirks or something. This way the user has a choice of quirks that DONT GO OVER 20%everone is happy as for the modules they will remain as the mech module system (seismic adv zoom radar dep. etc.). Now if the devs choose to make these quirks/ mods have a downside so be it its better that what we have now.

Edited by B8hunter, 22 May 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#2 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

What is the problem with going over 20%? Also this would just allow good mechs to just get even better and medioca mechs would still be medioca

#3 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostFirewuff, on 24 May 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

What is the problem with going over 20%? Also this would just allow good mechs to just get even better and medioca mechs would still be medioca

Well no lets look at a "bad mech" QDK-5K a common build for that is 2x er ppc 4x ml. Seeing how the main punch is the ppcs just get cooldown velocity and range. Its cooler fires more often and is faster. so no you have a potent jump sniper or a mech that can get to the high ground and put out alot of damage from there
and as far as to why not over 20% if the ac20 has range boost 50% it would be 405 m IS and 540 clan. Now we don't want a CQC high damage doom cannon to become a medium range skirmishing weapon. Just think with that now there is no skill with the ac 20 its just walk to the combat zone and 90% of all targets are in kill range. the hunchback would be the only medium mech ever used in any respectable numbers.

#4 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostB8hunter, on 25 May 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well no lets look at a "bad mech" QDK-5K a common build for that is 2x er ppc 4x ml. Seeing how the main punch is the ppcs just get cooldown velocity and range. Its cooler fires more often and is faster. so no you have a potent jump sniper or a mech that can get to the high ground and put out alot of damage from there
and as far as to why not over 20% if the ac20 has range boost 50% it would be 405 m IS and 540 clan. Now we don't want a CQC high damage doom cannon to become a medium range skirmishing weapon. Just think with that now there is no skill with the ac 20 its just walk to the combat zone and 90% of all targets are in kill range. the hunchback would be the only medium mech ever used in any respectable numbers.

If one 'Mech can run an AC20 at a 405m range, then it should. Why? Because that gives it a unique advantage. When it comes to quirking, you need to not think in terms on one variant, but instead an entire chassis, and even a weight class. Medium 'Mechs are the second least played weight class, last I checked. Buffs like a 405m AC20 Hunchback would give incentive to play a Medium. Sure, by 'Meta-Herd' logic, now everyone plays a Hunchback. Therefore you just need incentive for other 'Mechs as well.

Big percentages sound scary, I know. But sometimes for the sake of balance, you need those big percentages. The Awesome-8Q was an utterly worthless 'Mech before quirks, and when it suddenly got all that heat reduction... Well, you don't see people play it because nobody ever bought one. I picked one up, and I love it to death.

#5 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostDraykin, on 25 May 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

If one 'Mech can run an AC20 at a 405m range, then it should. Why? Because that gives it a unique advantage. When it comes to quirking, you need to not think in terms on one variant, but instead an entire chassis, and even a weight class. Medium 'Mechs are the second least played weight class, last I checked. Buffs like a 405m AC20 Hunchback would give incentive to play a Medium. Sure, by 'Meta-Herd' logic, now everyone plays a Hunchback. Therefore you just need incentive for other 'Mechs as well.

I hear you just if my idea is implemented I don't want to see it get out of had like well the quirk system did and if you think its fine and well just look at the poor mad cat or ryoken, I only see them in missile configs if at all and the mad cat has mostly been replaced by the Loki.
In my head I see that these quirks will be unlocked by gxp and then be around 1m cb so that a rookie can easily find a set of mods he likes before getting into the expensive mech mods. And the more gxp they put in the greater percentage of the modifier.

#6 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostB8hunter, on 25 May 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I hear you just if my idea is implemented I don't want to see it get out of had like well the quirk system did and if you think its fine and well just look at the poor mad cat or ryoken, I only see them in missile configs if at all and the mad cat has mostly been replaced by the Loki.
In my head I see that these quirks will be unlocked by gxp and then be around 1m cb so that a rookie can easily find a set of mods he likes before getting into the expensive mech mods. And the more gxp they put in the greater percentage of the modifier.

Poor Timber Wolf or Stormcrow? Those nerfs barely did anything. Anyone who can't adapt to a tiny bit longer beam duration probably should just find a new meta. If anything, the current quirk system hasn't been fully explored yet, but what you're suggesting is much more like a module system, of which we still don't HAVE a full module system. Plus, your system removes that uniqueness feeling from 'Mechs, and can be potentially easier to abuse. (What's that? A -heat module for ERPPC? Imagine how many 'Mechs would use that. A range module for the AC20? Boomjager, anyone?)

#7 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

We already have mechs which have 65% totals. It makes some of them fun and viable such as my locust. With all the tweeks my er-llas has a beam duration and rof about the same as a medium pulse laser. Give a range boost to 1 mech with an ac 20. The projectile is slow as ****... i wll still take my wolvie or shadowhawk over it any day when i can lay 4 times the damage at close range or the same at 1200m

#8 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostDraykin, on 25 May 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Poor Timber Wolf or Stormcrow? Those nerfs barely did anything. Anyone who can't adapt to a tiny bit longer beam duration probably should just find a new meta. If anything, the current quirk system hasn't been fully explored yet, but what you're suggesting is much more like a module system, of which we still don't HAVE a full module system. Plus, your system removes that uniqueness feeling from 'Mechs, and can be potentially easier to abuse. (What's that? A -heat module for ERPPC? Imagine how many 'Mechs would use that. A range module for the AC20? Boomjager, anyone?)

Sooo the current quirks aren't abused? thunder wub anyone? And look pal I hate the boomjager but i have an easy fix; add recoil! Hate me if you want but two things would happen if a jager had an ac20 one due to the laws of physics and the high mount it would be on its back and two the arms would break off due to the recoil. :) So are we done here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users