Upvoting Bug Prios?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

So I installed and stopped by an old private MMORPG server to say hello to some folks today, and one of them mentioned something interesting to me.

Before I state that, let me briefly mention something else of importance. With old MMORPGs that attempt to recreate a 'classic' feel, the game naturally is crystallized, or progressing much much much slower than normally. As a result, bugs, exploits, etc have to be dealt with prior to actual patches or updates that may address these issues holistically. So it's an interesting thing in terms of game balance and dev for these types of anachronistic game/meta dynamics.

Anyways, bud says to me 'the admins are putting in an upvote system for the community to prioritize bug fixes'

And it got me thinkin... ya know, about just, stuff in general. It really made the gears in my head start to turn.

I asked, first, is this an idea that's from some other platform or developer or game? I didn't get an actual answer to this from anyone, so I might as well ask it here, too.

Now, more importantly... anyone wanna run with this loose concept for a while as it relates to MWO, development, QA, etc? If so, go with it. Starting now.

#2 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

Make sure to submit the votes to twitter to not go totally unnoticed.

Even then it will be kinda meh. Not because the idea is bad, in fact its a great method for devs to know what the community likes to get fixed the most. Its because PGI just doesnt care about what the community likes.
They care about what the community pays for and until bugfixes arent sold for MC voting wont change anything.

#3 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

It's a novel idea, and any other dev studio this would be a great idea. It's also not the first time I've heard about it. Red 5 had a similar system prior to them killing their game.

But PGI can't monetize it, so I doubt it will get much traction. We get more content far more than we get actual bugfixes. You can look into the patch notes and tell where their priorities are.

#4 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

It's just sad that known bugs are around so long to even have this conversation.

#5 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Slightly surprised to see this only gets 3 actual responses... since it's actually an idea that bears discussion at the very least.

Instead the forums are, as usual, flooded with worthless threads from mongos with topics like "heavy queue is bigger than the others"........ like yeah, no ****ing **** Sherlock - that's been the case since forever.

Honestly I don't say this sort of thing much, particularly lately, but... it's pretty indicative to me that people don't even want to improve the game cuz they don't even know what the issues are.

I think I could count on one hand how many people actually have a firm understanding of this game that post on this official forum more than once every couple months. It's really hard to deny on a daily basis when skimming thru this wasteland of zombie pilots.

Edited by Soy, 24 May 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Well, there's a difference between bugs and features.

For instance, the "Gauss Explosion message" bug (where it was called an "ammo explosion" previously) took 2 years to get done.

Comparatively, the Gamma slider hasn't worked around the introduction to DX11 (when was that even released? I don't recall) but it's probably been like a year since that has been addressed or touched.

Then there's the "not being able to sell ammo bug", but things like that have been considered Lostech (or a feature) for ages.

While we lost the "Backspace" bug in game, we gained the "become Company Commander thru JJs" bug.

So... it is what it is.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 May 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#7 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

Yeah... exactly... bugs don't sell games... or get the masses talking... features do.

But to act like it's not important has been the MO so far, and look where it's got us. -_-

#8 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

At this point everyone knows that PGI doesn't read the forums nor care what is posted on it. They don't listen to feedback, and most of the things that would be discussed in this thread are the exact same things that we discussed back in CLOSED BETA. Back when we actually thought our input mattered. And we were completely ignored. So why bother?

And the seeming lack of understanding you see on the forums now is really apathy because most of the people who were constructive and had a genuine understanding of the game and wanted to improve it have either stopped posting in frustration or left the game entirely.

Add that to the graphical quality of the game going down, features being removed 'to be worked on' only to never return, and one just feels like it's not worth the time or effort to try helping...

#9 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostTor6, on 24 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

At this point everyone knows that PGI doesn't read the forums nor care what is posted on it.

Except, of course for the fact that every fix we've gotten, several of the new mechs, etc. were almost all from forum requests. Just because your proposed solutions were not implemented does not mean your voice wasn't heard.

#10 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostTor6, on 24 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

And the seeming lack of understanding you see on the forums now is really apathy because most of the people who were constructive and had a genuine understanding of the game and wanted to improve it have either stopped posting in frustration or left the game entirely.

Word.

View PostEscef, on 24 May 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

Except, of course for the fact that every fix we've gotten, several of the new mechs, etc. were almost all from forum requests. Just because your proposed solutions were not implemented does not mean your voice wasn't heard.

Big statement with no factual evidence backing it up.

I mean, the biggest request ever made by the largest constituent group of all time was against 3PV, and that was implemented.

As far as I can tell right now, if you chase the devs around like ******* children to an ice cream van, you can possibly get a vetted suggestion through on "Ask the Devs" or on *shudder* Twitter. That is simply ridiculous.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostSoy, on 24 May 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Big statement with no factual evidence backing it up.

Do you think we'd have the King Crab if they didn't listen? Or the upcoming changes? Ghost heat was implemented because of people complaining about folks boating weapons.

Plenty of factual evidence. But if ignoring that helps you think you are the divine's gift to game design, go for it.

#12 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Ghost Heat is bugged...

I think we have the King Crab cuz it is an iconic mech that helped diversify top-end assaults, canonically it transitions to MWO seamlessly, and they are always looking to roll out new content to keep whistles wet.

As far as game design, why yes, I do think I could do a better job. Indeed.

PS - Ghost Heat was implemented cuz certain mechs could spam 4 PPCs all day and ruin your ********. Also LL Stalkers could paperweight spacebar, go afk make sandwich, and come back with no overheat. If you deny this you actually don't know what you're talking about - cuz boating still exists, gg.

Edited by Soy, 24 May 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#13 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostSoy, on 23 May 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

So I installed and stopped by an old private MMORPG server to say hello to some folks today, and one of them mentioned something interesting to me.

Before I state that, let me briefly mention something else of importance. With old MMORPGs that attempt to recreate a 'classic' feel, the game naturally is crystallized, or progressing much much much slower than normally. As a result, bugs, exploits, etc have to be dealt with prior to actual patches or updates that may address these issues holistically. So it's an interesting thing in terms of game balance and dev for these types of anachronistic game/meta dynamics.

Anyways, bud says to me 'the admins are putting in an upvote system for the community to prioritize bug fixes'

And it got me thinkin... ya know, about just, stuff in general. It really made the gears in my head start to turn.

I asked, first, is this an idea that's from some other platform or developer or game? I didn't get an actual answer to this from anyone, so I might as well ask it here, too.

Now, more importantly... anyone wanna run with this loose concept for a while as it relates to MWO, development, QA, etc? If so, go with it. Starting now.

Would have to me monetized to apply here. Maybe $5 a vote

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostSoy, on 24 May 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Ghost Heat is bugged...

Irrelevant.

I think we have the King Crab cuz it is an iconic mech that helped diversify top-end assaults, canonically it transitions to MWO seamlessly, and they are always looking to roll out new content to keep whistles wet.

Not nearly as iconic as you seem to think it is.

As far as game design, why yes, I do think I could do a better job. Indeed.

Then go do it. If you are so awesome, go start your killer, awesome game, show us how it's done. I mean, this is assuming that your awesomeness hasn't already driven PGI under by the time I hit "Post".

#15 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

How is saying Ghost Heat is bugged irrelevent to a ******* topic about bug priotization.

You are the exact type of moron this forum has placated for far too long.

I did game design once, it wasn't fun cuz at the end of the day you don't even want to play the game, you're so ******* burnt out from making the sausage, why eat it. If you worked at a restaurant I doubt you eat it daily after a while.

#16 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

View PostEscef, on 24 May 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Irrelevant.

To a thread about bug prioritizing...

wow epic fail

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostSoy, on 24 May 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

How is saying Ghost Heat is bugged irrelevent to a ******* topic about bug priotization.

You are the exact type of moron this forum has placated for far too long.

Except that wasn't the topic we were discussing at the time, we were discussing what feedback PGI had listened to, and ghost heat was an example of a fix PGI had implemented to address complaints. You said it was bugged as an effort to dismiss it entirely, as if that alone would neutralize it as an example. Congrats on your ability to manipulate fonts, though.

I did game design once, it wasn't fun cuz at the end of the day you don't even want to play the game, you're so ******* burnt out from making the sausage, why eat it. If you worked at a restaurant I doubt you eat it daily after a while.

So, you sucked at it and either quit or got fired. You can talk up your "skills" at game design all you like, I haven't seen any kind of proof. But, hey, I'm a Nigerian Prince, wire me a thousand dollars and I'll give you a million in a month.

#18 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostEscef, on 24 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

So, you sucked at it and either quit or got fired. You can talk up your "skills" at game design all you like, I haven't seen any kind of proof. But, hey, I'm a Nigerian Prince, wire me a thousand dollars and I'll give you a million in a month.

Yay, like not being able to hang in an argument and going for the personal attacks right?

#19 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

@Escef -

I didn't bring Ghost Heat up, you did - I simply highlighted the irony that new features mean jack **** if they themselves are bugged.

If this is your attempt to undermine my credibility by saying "hey go be a game dev" and when I reply I have, and that it's not difficult to make a better game than MWO, you jump to "I'm a Nigerian prince"? Really. Really.

View PostEscef, on 24 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Except that wasn't the topic we were discussing at the time

Again, you're the exact type of mongo this particular forum has coddled and fostered for too long. It's taken us to the current situation, in reality.

Edited by Soy, 24 May 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostSoy, on 24 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

@Escef -

I didn't bring Ghost Heat up, you did - I simply highlighted the irony that new features mean jack **** if they themselves are bugged.

Yes, as an example of something that was implemented due to forum complaints, and you responded to it by trying to be dismissive. Because it's functionality was not relevant to the idea of PGI listening or not listening.

View PostSoy, on 24 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

If this is your attempt to undermine my credibility by saying "hey go be a game dev" and when I reply I have, and that it's not difficult to make a better game than MWO, you jump to "I'm a Nigerian prince"? Really. Really.

Soy, you didn't have any credibility in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users