Hitbox And Size Crippled Mechs. Vote To Change Them.

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Uncripple our mechs. (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI resize all Medium/heavy mechs to their logical size?

1. Yes. Both medium and heavies size needs changes. (17 votes [89.47%])

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

2. No. It would demand too much work from the devs. (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Which mechs should get their hitboxes/models readjusted?

1. Awesome sidetorsos are too huge. (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Jenner CT is nearly always hit if you aim above it's legs. (10 votes [26.32%])

3. Dragon CT is to broad. Make it narrower and the sidetorsos wider. (10 votes [26.32%])

4. Nope...let them stay that way. (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Lore have many mechs that had defining characteristics that is denied them in MWO. Russ said on Twitter he wants stuff to be close to Lore.

1. Victor jump ability is nearly gone. Now it jumps 35.86m or 23.91m depending on variant. (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Quickdraw is supposed to be really good at going uphill. (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Highlander can only jump 20m now. That's really low. (14 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Nope these too stay that way. (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

This concerns both Clan and IS mechs. I'm just more familiar with IS mechs problems.
Tell me about the clan problem mechs and i'll add them. Keep in mind that this does not concern quirks.
If you voted here please vote in this poll made by DTF Kev too-
Mech Scaling And Unique Weapon Geometry - Poll

Posted Image
As you know there are Clan/IS mechs in the lore that were supposed to be more mobile than their weightclass suggests.
As you see Russ wants to stick close to the lore.

Victor, Highlander and Quickdraw make prime examples.
Victor was crippled after the jumptart meta and it took the Highlander down with it.
Giving assault class JJ's their old capabilities might bring the old meta back.
So they can just give the current assault JJs a boost but not to the old levels.

Quickdraw in the lore is supposed to have mobility beyond it's weight because of well constructed ankle joints.
But it doesn't.

There are also mechs with crippling hitboxes that would perform really well if it wasn't for that.
Examples: Awesome with huge side torsos, Dragon/Jenner with tremendous Center torsos.
This is just to mention the most well known problem mechs.
Posted Image
Then there are all the medium and heavy mechs out there that are just too large for their weightclass.
Look at that Centurion. It's nearly as tall as the Awesome even though there is a 30 tonnage difference.
It's true that the Awesome has a much deeper chest, but that doesn't matter much compared to the frontal silhouette.
If things were more like in the middle row of mechs it would make more sense.

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 23 May 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

You know, there's actually been a lot of discussion on this. Apparently, changing the model size of a 'mech is off the table for the foreseeable future, though movement archetypes can be changed.

My understanding isn't complete but apparently what's going on there is that the visuals of the 'mech and the placement of its body model are handled separately but simultaneously, and all the textures are custom created to the exact size of the surfaces.

What that means is that in order to change the size of a 'mech, the programmers and art team would need to:
  • Change the size and shape of the 'mech's skeleton.
  • Rebuild all the skeleton animations.
  • Rebuild all the hitboxes.
  • Rebuild the visual model.
  • Copy and reposition the pieces on the 'mech (cockpit panels, ladder rungs, handles, pulleys, etc.)
  • Reconstruct at a different size every single visual texture for every element of the 'mech.
  • Recompile all these changes into a 'mech.
  • Redo all testing to be sure no animations/textures are broken.
Essentially, they would have to recreate the 'mech entirely from scratch. It -shouldn't- be necessary to do it that way, but because of the way the game handles the 'mechs in the first place, that's the way it operates. At least, that is what I've been told.

Movement types don't affect the model size. What a movement type (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge) affects is the handling of the 'mech in terms of turns, acceleration, deceleration, and how well it ascends and descends slopes.

If this is true they have to do remake an entire mech from scratch if they want to change it's size.
We complained about the size of mediums a lot back in Founders beta, but PGI didn't listen.
Back then all they needed to do was change the sizes of 2 mediums and 2 heavies but they didn't.

Well i say: No mercy. Make the medium and heavy mechs sizes into what's logical.
Sure it might make the devs delay the release of future mech packs but to be quite frank i don't care.
Because if things continue like this all the future mechs will have the same weird sizes.
Your favorite medium or heavy mech risks arriving to MWO one day with a size that doesn't make sense.
Or with a CT that looks more at home on a 100 ton mech.
Or it's most defining characteristic in the lore totally ignored.
Even with all this work it should still take much less time than creating a mech entirely from scratch.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 24 May 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:06 AM

Posted Image

#3 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:18 AM

In any case please tell me about stuff i should add to the poll. But i won't add quirk stuff. That's kinda in a different league.
But we need more votes to make PGI look at the poll. At least 300-500 votes i'd say.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 24 May 2015 - 04:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users