Time To Adjust Dual-Gauss

161 replies to this topic

#1 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

first, remove gauss cooldoawn module. low rate of fire should be the single one biggest disadvantage.

second, give 50% rate of fire penalty to gauss rifles if yo bring more than one.

you dont like this...GO AND PLAY CALL OF DUTY OR BATTLEFIELD, this not supposed to be a goddamn instagib shooter!

you dont like this...you´re not interest in a balanced game and just want keep your easymode.

and yes, i got a dualgauss crab myself, by far easiest and most boring way to play. no skill needed (mechs move slow), just point, click, watch mech disappear, repeat.

dualgauss needs to go - or at least be adjusted so it´s not the goto config anymore, just like poptarting had to.

"but there are mechs in tabletop with dualgauss"...sad info for you, this is a computer game, apples and oranges...

edit: didn´t bother reading replies, thi i noaout discussng if it needs adjustment, common sense and wantig a balanc game/weapons demand a gauss/dal gauss adjustement.

I though aout it and would go ee furher:

1. remove gauss cooldow module

2. remve all gass cooldow quirks

3. remove fast firing effeft on gauss

4. double cooldow for 2nd gauss rifle so dps stays the same for 1 and 2 gauss rifls.

you want big alpha effective on all ranges without heat? than deal wit lowest dps...thats the only real balancing factor. gauss explosions are not enough risk...otherwie it wuld´nt be te surrent no brainer it is t slap on anny mech able to carry one.

Edited by Kutfroat, 30 May 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

You are a bit late, aren't ya?

#3 Herr Vorragend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Why? The gauss already has lots of negative aspects to deal with. And you can avoid double gaussers with intelligent positioning.

You can nerf a game to death, don't do that (says someone, who doesn't use gauss cause of the bloody charge-up)

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Part of it's because various other choices like ACs and PPCs have been nerfed, while some like Lurms just have really flawed design from the ground up...

With a fast projectile, great range, and no heat, it also synergizes with lasers really well...

#5 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostKutfroat, on 26 May 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

you dont like this...GO AND PLAY CALL OF DUTY OR BATTLEFIELD, this not supposed to be a goddamn instagib shooter!

Meanwhile, on tabletop.

"Okay, I'm shooting your locust with my Atlas's AC/20."
"Alright, with the modifier that comes out to about 8 to hit."
**Rolls 10**
"Nice, rolling for hit location."
**Rolls 2**
"Critical CT"
"Damn."
"Well, you're dead anyway. Not like it matters."

----------------------
Next Round
---------------------
"Alright, I'm kicking you from hexlevel 1"
"To hit of 6."
"k"
**Rolls 7**
"Alright, lets see: punch table."
**Rolls 12**
"I ******* hate you man."

#6 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

IF you are getting instagibbed by dual gauss, I can see the problem and it isn't the dual gauss, it's you. 30 point pinpoint isn't enough to take the head off, which is the only way to get a single shot kill in MWO currently.

Now, if you lowball the armor on your head, that's entirely on you, that's not dual gauss being OP.

#7 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostBurktross, on 26 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Meanwhile, on tabletop.

**Rolls 10**
**Rolls 2**
"Critical CT"
"Damn."

----------------------
Next Round
---------------------
"To hit of 6."
"k"
**Rolls 7**
**Rolls 12**

Ouch.

#8 deadmedo

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBosna i Hercegovina

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

How about we remove all weapons and leave only flamers and machine guns. And let the endless battle begin.

This nerfing threads are really tiring... :(

#9 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Dual gauss is already one of the most balanced loadouts in the game. You're forced to run an XL engine, you don't get a lot of ammunition, you get practically no backup weapons, and the four chassis you're limited to are amongst the easiest to hit. You can take dual gauss, but there are massive downsides and you're usually a glass cannon.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 27 May 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#10 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Some mechs come with Dual Gauss...

Some things you just have to put up with for the sake of it.

#11 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostBurktross, on 26 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Meanwhile, on tabletop.

**Rolls 10**
**Rolls 2**
"Critical CT"
"Damn."

----------------------
Next Round
---------------------
"To hit of 6."
"k"
**Rolls 7**
**Rolls 12**

Bah, that's nothing...

We had a guy with a Light with an AC2, don't even remember what now, but he saw an Atlas the 2 round of the game at extreme range.

He fired, he rolled a through armor crit, he got a triple crit, CT....engine....engine....and....ENGINE!

The Atlas never even saw what fired at him, never got to fire a single weapon, and was out of the combat that fast.

My very first BTech TT game, I'm in a Wolverine. I got hit in the cockpit by a gauss rifle before I got close enough to use a single weapon on the guy who shot me. I learned real quick why it's called the Vorpal Gun in BTech.

Then there was the time my friend in a Flea discovered why running on a paved road in BTech is considered a bad idea. MASC on, moving FULL speed, he tried to turn. He failed the pilot roll horribly. By the time the Flea stopped rolling, the Mech was in pieces and the PILOT was dead due to the cockpit having caught it's OWN FOOT in the cockpit as it was rolling around flinging pieces all over the place. Road rash..it's NOT just for people on motorcycles! Gods I wish we had that in MWO....

#12 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 26 May 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Bah, that's nothing...

We had a guy with a Light with an AC2, don't even remember what now, but he saw an Atlas the 2 round of the game at extreme range.

He fired, he rolled a through armor crit, he got a triple crit, CT....engine....engine....and....ENGINE!

The Atlas never even saw what fired at him, never got to fire a single weapon, and was out of the combat that fast.

My very first BTech TT game, I'm in a Wolverine. I got hit in the cockpit by a gauss rifle before I got close enough to use a single weapon on the guy who shot me. I learned real quick why it's called the Vorpal Gun in BTech.

Then there was the time my friend in a Flea discovered why running on a paved road in BTech is considered a bad idea. MASC on, moving FULL speed, he tried to turn. He failed the pilot roll horribly. By the time the Flea stopped rolling, the Mech was in pieces and the PILOT was dead due to the cockpit having caught it's OWN FOOT in the cockpit as it was rolling around flinging pieces all over the place. Road rash..it's NOT just for people on motorcycles! Gods I wish we had that in MWO....

I know those feels.
Especially ammo explosions in jenners on the first volley of fire from one infantry squad.
Fun.

#13 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

You do have to shave armor on Jaggers, or take less ammo to use Gauss on them. That build is slow. Lights are real trouble for it. DWF is the only really heavy handed double Gauss I can think of, but it has to pull way back to have survivablility.

I used GI, and jagger 2xG, works great if you mind your positioning, but I usually score as well, if not better in my wub builds.

#14 Cabbage Merchant

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

View Postdeadmedo, on 26 May 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

How about we remove all weapons and leave only flamers and machine guns. And let the endless battle begin.

This nerfing threads are really tiring... :(

I could envision this being very amusing in a private 12 v 12 match.

Hilarity aside, I agree with your point. The game still needs some fine tuning in terms of balance, but all these NERF-HAMMER-NOW posts are getting annoying. Fine adjustments, no sledgehammer.

#15 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:54 PM

OP so salty ... smh

#16 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostCabbage Merchant, on 26 May 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

I could envision this being very amusing in a private 12 v 12 match.

Hilarity aside, I agree with your point. The game still needs some fine tuning in terms of balance, but all these NERF-HAMMER-NOW posts are getting annoying. Fine adjustments, no sledgehammer.

The Arrow would reign supreme!

#17 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 26 May 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

IF you are getting instagibbed by dual gauss, I can see the problem and it isn't the dual gauss, it's you. 30 point pinpoint isn't enough to take the head off, which is the only way to get a single shot kill in MWO currently.

Now, if you lowball the armor on your head, that's entirely on you, that's not dual gauss being OP.

As a matter of fact, there is a 17% chance to one shot a fully armoured cockpit (or 42% chance on 16 armour) because of critical hits.

2.25 extra damage per crit. Rare, but possible.

#18 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 May 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

As a matter of fact, there is a 17% chance to one shot a fully armoured cockpit (or 42% chance on 16 armour) because of critical hits.

2.25 extra damage per crit. Rare, but possible.

Do crits actually work if there's armor on the location, as I was under the impression that they only become possible once armor is removed from the location, ie no through armor crits currently. I remember PGI stating at some point during CB that we don't have through armor crits and if you were subject to one bug report it, as it WAS happening on occassion back then.

#19 Kinjikai

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

Dual Guass is a 1 trick pony. Evade and flank. Poke and hide poke and hide.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 26 May 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Do crits actually work if there's armor on the location, as I was under the impression that they only become possible once armor is removed from the location, ie no through armor crits currently. I remember PGI stating at some point during CB that we don't have through armor crits and if you were subject to one bug report it, as it WAS happening on occassion back then.

Gauss#1 damages it, Gauss#2 opens and crits.

FLD weapons crit fully when striking Internal Structure (IS), so 15 damage crit, 15% to IS, even if it only dealt 12 damage.

2.25*2=4.5

34.5>33

Just incredibly rare. Take it to the testing grounds if you want, but it took me 3 runs to get just 1. It did happen, though.

There are 3 available crits in the head, at minimum (4 if you have something else in there)
Posted Image

Edited by Mcgral18, 27 May 2015 - 12:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users