So How High Will The Executioner Really Jump?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Artax33

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIowa, US

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

We still don't even know what that entails in game...

If it ends up being some sort of stamina bar "for running" like in FPSes, well, this will be sad, yet potentially amusing.

One of the devs, Paul I think, said it would have a bar like JJ. If you use to long you will start to take internal damage. It will recharge. You won't lock up like in table top, just take damage if you use it to long.

#22 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,249 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

We still don't even know what that entails in game...

If it ends up being some sort of stamina bar "for running" like in FPSes, well, this will be sad, yet potentially amusing.

I don't understand, why is that bad? How else would it be implemented?

#23 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 27 May 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

The executioner is one of the first 95 tonners to have jump jets.

So.... how high will it jump???

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hover Jets ™

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 27 May 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

I don't understand, why is that bad? How else would it be implemented?

I dunno, it would be standard fare for an FPS... not that it is unique.

MASC in previous MW games was a bit more random (had an RNG component) and I don't think they adhered to TT necessarily... it was a straight speed boost, and increased heat usage with the randomness in when the thing disabled and no leg damage that I could recall.

I wouldn't be unique or entirely interesting I guess.

#25 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostGyrok, on 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hover Jets ™

And sadly enough hover jets may never touch it, since it is neither a Victor or a highlander or a dire wolf.

#26 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,249 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

MASC in previous MW games was a bit more random (had an RNG component) and I don't think they adhered to TT necessarily... it was a straight speed boost, and increased heat usage with the randomness in when the thing disabled and no leg damage that I could recall.

Eh I would prefer less RNG, or at least a time of use before RNG starts happening. If they implemented it like JJs, but with damage added if used for too long at once, I think it would add some flavor to those mechs and be useful. I prefer that you don't just randomly start taking leg damage, that would be annoying, its nice to be in control.

View PostScout Derek, on 27 May 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

And sadly enough hover jets may never touch it, since it is neither a Victor or a highlander or a dire wolf.

What do you mean? Class I Jump Jets = Hover Jets

#27 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

MWLL had it straight up increase heat and speed, nothing else.

Heat, natually, damage internal structure at a progressive rate, never instagibbing, but progressively leading to immobility or death.

#28 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

It wont raise off the ground very far. We all know who is to blame for that.

#29 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

jump knee high to a Grasshopper, then hover like a Highlander. jump jets :(

#30 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

You know what they say on the streets, right? "Assault Mechs can't Jump"

#31 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Being fair, the 90/120/150 meters or whatever in TT was, as I recall, actually horizontal distance. Vertical distance has never really been given, as TT used jump jets more as a horizontal maneuvering aid than anything else.

The current jet implementation is meh, however. They don't feel good and they could use a boost, but if you equip 4+ jets you do tend to get sufficient lift to get places. Elsewise...well, we all remember MW2, don't we? A compromise needs to be struck somewhere between HoverJets™ and having Titan IV's bolted to your legs.

#32 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

It might be able to leap small rocks in a single bound. Maybe. Or it might run out of fuel half way up the rock.

#33 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 27 May 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

The executioner is one of the first 95 tonners to have jump jets.

So.... how high will it jump???

Maybe 2 1/2 feet?

View Postdarkkterror, on 27 May 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

It might be able to leap small rocks in a single bound. Maybe. Or it might run out of fuel half way up the rock.

And by rock you mean like that little rock at the base of the tunnel on River City? THe one near the Cataphract in TG...

#34 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

View Post1453 R, on 27 May 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Being fair, the 90/120/150 meters or whatever in TT was, as I recall, actually horizontal distance. Vertical distance has never really been given, as TT used jump jets more as a horizontal maneuvering aid than anything else.

The current jet implementation is meh, however. They don't feel good and they could use a boost, but if you equip 4+ jets you do tend to get sufficient lift to get places. Elsewise...well, we all remember MW2, don't we? A compromise needs to be struck somewhere between HoverJets™ and having Titan IV's bolted to your legs.

Didn't TT define how high a "level" was, and have rules for how many levels up a Mech could jump? I never played TT, so I'm just going off of memory of hearsay, here.

#35 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 27 May 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yeah I am thinking of hitting the MASC to get up to 89 kph and then leaping up parallel to a ridge, firing a Gauss and er PPCs and then falling back down. It will jump snipe like a Timber Wolf :D

You can kinda, sorta, jump snipe in the DWF-S with 3x JJs.

I'm not exactly jump sniping with it, but from time to time I can get a clear pop-snipe off with the Dual Gauss.

It's more an opportunity thing than something I'd try to do all match long, as the DWF just isn't nimble enough for that.

The EXE on the other hand even at 71kph will be faster than the old HGN builds.

#36 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostYueFei, on 27 May 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Didn't TT define how high a "level" was, and have rules for how many levels up a Mech could jump? I never played TT, so I'm just going off of memory of hearsay, here.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 24 May 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

One Hex is 30 meters wide.
One Level is 6 meters tall.

The shortest 'Mechs are no shorter than 8 meters tall.
The vast majority of 'Mechs are 10-12 meters tall.
"Exceptionally tall" 'Mechs are 13-14 meters tall.
The tallest 'Mechs are no taller than 14 meters tall.
(See here and here for more height sources & examples.)

Mechanically, the TT rules treat all 'Mechs as having a height of 2 Levels (6 < x < 12).
Thus, a Level 1 obstacle (6 meters tall) cannot completely obscure a 'Mech (all of which are at least 8 meters tall, and most of which are 10-12 meters tall), hence the Partial Cover rules.
Thus, it takes a Level 2 obstacle (12 meters tall) to provide complete cover to a 'Mech.

Jump Jets allow a 'Mech to ascend by one Level (6 meters vertically) and traverse one Hex (30 meters horizontally) per Jump Jet.
So, a Highlander with its three Jump Jets could ascent up to three Levels (18 meters) and traverse up to three Hexes (90 meters) in a single jump, while a Spider with its eight Jump Jets could ascend up to eight levels (48 meters) and traverse up to eight Hexes (240 meters) in a single jump.

;)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 27 May 2015 - 07:38 PM.

#37 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

You know, I dont know how "high" or "far" it will jump. My DWF S I picked up recently, well, i ude the full stock load of JJ, and.... it does not actually go up. i mean it can if you burn the whole fuel bar, sloooooooowly...

What they are exceedingly nice for, is when you need to dive off the side of somthing and not bust your legs up. Like HPG, Canyon, the tunnel in RC, etc. They also allow you do "float" up grades without losing velocity. not a steep grade(they dstill help) but say, a normal ramp. Instead of taking the penalty for being a giant DWF and moving like 35 KPH up thta ramp, you can engage JJ and "float" at full speed up the ramp. It certainlyis nothing like playing a small mech with JJ, but they have a use.

now as far as .EXE and jumping with MASC, well, lets just say IMO doing this is going to glitch out the fall damage algorithm and even flat line "jumps" are going to fake the fall damage trigger because you will be moving so fast when you land. Especially if you release the MASC button while you are landing, as it will tell the game you should be moving at capped normal speed at that point. I hgaven't seen anyone discuss MASC plus Jumping yet, and I just have this bad feeling.

Then again, maybe just maybe PGI will have playtested this before release. Buuuuuuttt, i doubt it.

#38 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

20 meters high.

#39 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostYueFei, on 27 May 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

1 level per jump jet, 6 meters.

Issues are myriad:
1) MWO is pretty close to what TT had for jump heights, but you need the full burn.
2) Full burn is a problem because you need fuel to land without hurting your legs (FU Nerfinator™)
3) Because for some reason MWO uses x3 Gravity you can't jump to full height with a heavier mech because you take even more damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users