Bans' Impact On Recent Tournaments

45 replies to this topic

#1 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

I was curious how the recent suspensions might have affected the "Calling all Founders" and "Phoenix Rising" tournaments. From what I see, the following divisions have been affected:

Hunchback HBK-4G (F)
Wolverine WVR-6R (P)
Locust LCT-1V (P)

Of the above, the Hunchback was mildly affected (top 10) and the Locust was barely affected (top 50), but the Wolverine rankings were (very) notably affected.

It would be nice if these listings were retroactively adjusted to disqualify those that were suspended. These tournaments took place recently enough that they don't deserve to retain their rankings.

Also, I'd like to take a second to congratulate Ribos on his victory. As far as I'm concerned, he won the Wolverine bracket.

For reference:

List of Suspensions:
https://mwomercs.com...ed-for-cheating

Calling all Founders Tournament:
https://mwomercs.com...nts?t=201505flb

Phoenix Rising Tournament:
https://mwomercs.com...nts?t=201505plb

Edited by Machinae Mortis, 27 May 2015 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

You're talking about the recent ban wave by PGI, right?

Can you link me to the brackets?

#3 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostTranquil Winds, on 27 May 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

You're talking about the recent ban wave by PGI, right?

Can you link me to the brackets?

Done. Probably good to have those references in the OP.

#4 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Sad to see founders cheating, or anyone for that matter. But they get everything they deserve though.

On the plus side that should mean I'm up to about 460 in the Locust ranking and 520 with the Wolvo :ph34r: Although I did only play 1 match with each Phoenix mech :rolleyes:

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Its fantastic to see a company ACTUALLY banning cheaters....the less cheaters the better.

#6 kchunter104

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

Why would someone who put so much into this game even risk getting banned for cheating? Makes no sense to me.

#7 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

Why on Earth would someone cheat at MWO? Get a meta mech and play try hard, you'll be fine.

Ashamed for the founders on the ban list.

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

View Postkchunter104, on 27 May 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

Why would someone who put so much into this game even risk getting banned for cheating? Makes no sense to me.

Until now i wouldnt have saw much risk in it. I hope they do a ban list every few months.

#9 Vinhasa

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

The public shaming is hopefully going to be a powerful deterrent, and I hope that they continue to do it as they move forward.

#10 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

how many people have been banned from the groups mentioned ( its late i'm lazy ) don't want to click back and fourth between pages etc, but OP is correct, these should be amended

#11 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 27 May 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

Its fantastic to see a company ACTUALLY banning cheaters....the less cheaters the better.

I used to play APB:Reloaded and very long ban lists were a weekly thing.

The smaller (and more mature?) playerbase helps MWO as well as various server sided mechanics however aimbots and wallhacks will always happen. If there's one thing I trust PGI with it's cheat detection.

HSR implementation. That must go hand in hand with aimbot detection right?

Edited by Kyocera, 27 May 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#12 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostKyocera, on 27 May 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sad to see founders cheating, or anyone for that matter. But they get everything they deserve though.

Founders aren't some ancient lineage of nobility nor are we ideal role-models for society. In all honesty we're just people who paid $30-$120 for shiny robots before anyone else could. :ph34r:

#13 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostCathy, on 27 May 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

how many people have been banned from the groups mentioned ( its late i'm lazy ) don't want to click back and fourth between pages etc, but OP is correct, these should be amended

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostElizander, on 27 May 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Founders aren't some ancient lineage of nobility nor are we ideal role-models for society. In all honesty we're just people who paid $30-$120 for shiny robots before anyone else could. :ph34r:

Indeed.

#15 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

View PostElizander, on 27 May 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Yeah but it's sad to see someone invest faith and money in a concept then turn to the dark side. Isn't the first and won't be the last I know, but still, what a waste of a Founders package <_<

#16 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

I not sure I understand the rationale for cheating.

There are no in game products that can be sold for real cash

Cheating only improves your stats, to which u are the only person who is ever going to look at it. Not sure how knowing that u cheat will help your sense of satisfaction.

I can only imagine the need for more cbills or completing events to get the prizes.

Definitely not worth it.

#17 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm glad nobody soured the Catapult leaderboard.

Catapult pilots are indeed from some ancient lineage of nobility and we are ideal role-models for society.

#18 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostChuanhao, on 27 May 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I not sure I understand the rationale for cheating.

There are no in game products that can be sold for real cash

Cheating only improves your stats, to which u are the only person who is ever going to look at it. Not sure how knowing that u cheat will help your sense of satisfaction.

I can only imagine the need for more cbills or completing events to get the prizes.

Definitely not worth it.

Some people just feel the overriding need to win. The "what" or the "how" don't matter.

I can certainly understand the mindset: I run a couple questionable mods for Skyrim, and "testingcheats" is all but hotkeyed for playing The Sims, etc. but single-player games are an entirely different animal where no one is harmed but the poor, put-upon AI. When it comes to multiplayer (even co-op vs. AI like ME3), I'll take my lumps, thank you. It's really the only way to actually get better.

#19 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostmasCh, on 27 May 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

I'm glad nobody soured the Catapult leaderboard.

Catapult pilots are indeed from some ancient lineage of nobility and we are ideal role-models for society.

I think they are just crazy, but who am I to judge. :ph34r:

#20 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

It's funny you bring this up OP. I was actually thinking as I looked at the leaderboards during the actual events if PGI was going to take the top 20 or so from each catagory and look at those players... you know, just to see. I must admit it came to mind mostly because of all the recent hub-ub going down on the forums.

Maybe they still should? Nothing says "plz hax my game" like awarding prizes to cheating players. Who knows, maybe they already did?

haha, come to think of it, these tourny my actually be a nice weeding tool if PGi watches it close enough.

It is important to note I am not accusing anyone of anything here, just thinking "out loud" so to speak. There are most deffinatly players capable of scoring ooga booga numbers for these things, so It's not like some kind of strong indication. But putting carrots out there to entice the ones that have gone to the dark side: it is logical to think some of them bit, and obviously it has been proven at least part of the lists did. I just wonder if there aren't more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users