62 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Ive seen this on other games, why not here? Let them tell us what programs/tricks get ppl banned and what dont. Ive seen crazy uses of the .cfg files that definitely give advantage where theyve said it isnt bannable and where ppl replace sound files that PGI have said is definitely bannable. Id like to see what is or isnt in a written form, given that "if it gives advantage" is not only broad but also wrong from what Ive seen in the past here

#2 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

I was very close to changing some of the sounds back to the old ones...(Autocannons,ect) but decided not to do it because it is against the ToS and after 2+ years of hard work and all the crap I put up with PGI to play this game... I"m not going to do something stupid like that to get banned...

I"m just happy that PGI finally Banned some people... it only took 2.5 years.... Probably will take another year to put up a list..

But I doubt they will put up a list of cheat programs... but they should put up a list of OK programs.. (like TEam Speak,ect)..

I"m still not sure if SweetFx is techinically ok.. .that program would help my old computer out but even though Alex said it was ok I"m not touching that or any program..

FYI... I do use Autohotkey Macro for Gauss... thats about it...

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

Problem: a 'list of bannable programs' would by inherent nature be incomplete - and yet, by offering it Piranha gives people grounds to fight any ban of something that is clearly a cheat tool and yet is not on the 'banned programs' list.

Common sense is your friend here. Change some sound files to make small lasers go "pew!" instead of their usual noise? Not likely to cause an issue. Wallhacking aimbot that ignores terrain collision to dual-Gauss headshot people through cover? I don't care whether or not that's on a banned progams list, we all know it's a cheat tool and deserving of the banhammer.

Once again, if it feels like it's probably against a rule somewhere, assume it is. Don't take chances with your account just for a brief edge.

#4 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostLORD TSARKON, on 27 May 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

but they should put up a list of OK programs.. (like TEam Speak,ect)..

Thats actually what I meant, but I said it backwards

View Post1453 R, on 27 May 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

Change some sound files to make small lasers go "pew!" instead of their usual noise? Not likely to cause an issue.

Except that WILL get you banned

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

View Post1453 R, on 27 May 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

Problem: a 'list of bannable programs' would by inherent nature be incomplete - and yet, by offering it Piranha gives people grounds to fight any ban of something that is clearly a cheat tool and yet is not on the 'banned programs' list.

Common sense is your friend here. Change some sound files to make small lasers go "pew!" instead of their usual noise? Not likely to cause an issue. Wallhacking aimbot that ignores terrain collision to dual-Gauss headshot people through cover? I don't care whether or not that's on a banned progams list, we all know it's a cheat tool and deserving of the banhammer.

Once again, if it feels like it's probably against a rule somewhere, assume it is. Don't take chances with your account just for a brief edge.

Code i still server side terrain is always a issue. Wallhacking justs lets the person know where everyone is. I had this happen once in a game where the textures got screwed up on the ground and i could see everything., Of course it make it very hard to walk and move :P

I don't think they will tell you what programs not to use. This will just make people go use them.I really like that they're starting to ban people but after years and tens of thousands of players.,I dont think 64 is all of them :)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 May 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 27 May 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Code i still server side terrain is always a issue. Wallhackijng justs lets the person know where everyone is. I had this happen once if a game where the textures got screwed up on the ground and i could see everything., Of course it make it very hard to walk and move :P

I don't think they will tell you what programs not to use. This will just make people go use them.I really like that they're starting to ban people but after years and tens of thousands of players.,I dont think 64 is all of them :)

Yeah, I kind of meant an approved program list rather than a banned one but I said it backwards

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

i use the ch control manager that comes with my joystick/throttle/pedals. i use this software to do the following:
  • combines the 3 units into one logical controller.
  • mix the break pedals into an axis so i can steer with them (the rudder axis has way too much spring tension and i prefer to use the break pedals).
  • maps buttons directly to default key bindings.
i do not modify anything in the game or use any utilities that mess with rendering. i have also inquired many times about whether or not this is cheating with no official response (i do not consider it cheating). since i have never heard of anyone getting banned for cheating in any game because of control profile software, i am in the assumption that its ok.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 May 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 May 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Ive seen this on other games, why not here? Let them tell us what programs/tricks get ppl banned and what dont. Ive seen crazy uses of the .cfg files that definitely give advantage where theyve said it isnt bannable and where ppl replace sound files that PGI have said is definitely bannable. Id like to see what is or isnt in a written form, given that "if it gives advantage" is not only broad but also wrong from what Ive seen in the past here

do we really need one? You know what programs are hacks or not.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 May 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

i use the ch control manager that comes with my joystick/throttle/pedals. i use this software to do the following:
  • combines the 3 units into one logical controller.
  • mix the break pedals into an axis so i can steer with them (the rudder axis has way too much spring tension and i prefer to use the break pedals).
  • maps buttons directly to default key bindings.
i do not modify anything in the game or use any utilities that mess with rendering. i have also inquired many times about whether or not this is cheating with no official response (i do not consider it cheating). since i have never heard of anyone getting banned for cheating in any game because of control profile software, i am in the assumption that its ok.

You do not have to assume. Control software for gaming peripherals are ok.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 May 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Actually I dont because I dont cheat but as Ive said like 5 times what I meant was an approved list not a banned list, I said it backwards -.-

#11 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 May 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Exactly.

#12 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

IMO, using any sort of peripheral "program" outside the MWO client is a form of hack, but it's my opinion. Changing your DPS or setting up your mouse, no, but any third party software that exists to do anything above and beyond recording your game....

-k

#13 ArchAngelWC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 230 posts
  • Locationaboard the Smoke Jaguar Warship, "Sabre Hawk" in orbit above the PGI office

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 May 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Yah no...until they ban someone for the guass rifle macro I feel no need for this...
Just gives rules lawyers fodder...

(after reading futher into the thread)

A list of approved stuff would be useful...

Edited by ArchAngelWC, 28 May 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#14 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:46 AM

Silly post is silly. PGI is never going to provide a blacklist or a whitelist of programs and couldn't possibly provide a comprehensive list if they wanted to.

#15 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

I would classify as cheats:

1) Programs changing the game archives content.
2) Programs injecting DLLs into the game address space in order to get the game state and/or change the memory content.
3) Programs acting as debuggers attaching on the game process.
4) Programs acting as legal DLLs putting themselves between the game and the OS (for example DirectX wrappers).

All the above is detectable if there is real willingness.

#16 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

Just don t use any extra programms and you are fine. Teamspeak is OK cause it is also used by everybody.

#17 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 May 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Yeah, I kind of meant an approved program list rather than a banned one but I said it backwards

Teamspeak 3 for comms and OBS or Shadowplay for video capture.

That's all you need. Anything else is just a superfluous crutch.

Edited by Nightmare1, 28 May 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#18 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:30 AM

So far they have only banned aimbots and wallhacks, which are so obvious cheats there is no question about it.

These sound file replacement videos you seem to be concerned about were actually made by editing the video, not the game files, so no problem there either.

View PostEvilCow, on 28 May 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

3) Programs acting as debuggers attaching on the game process.
4) Programs acting as legal DLLs putting themselves between the game and the OS (for example DirectX wrappers).

I am using both of these. I am running MWO on Linux using Wine, which has a built-in debugger and runs windows games by wrapping directx and other windows dll:s to the native opengl and other functions in the Linux OS.

Banning #3 and #4 means people won't be able to play your game on Linux or Mac, and is thus seldom done, and when they are banned, the community backslash is usually huge.

Edited by Gagis, 28 May 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#19 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

You won't get a list because they don't want to name the program so people go looking for it.

But as long as your not using the Wall Hack / Aimbot program you are fine.

SweetFX and Macro Programs are Completely cleared.

#20 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Not sure Sweet FX has been okayed. The last repair tool round got rid of it, didn't it? I'm a bit naive as to how these things work - I like my mechs, and I press buttons to make 'em work, and that's about as far as my computer knowledge goes. But I do like the visuals attainable with Sweet FX - get things closer to the CB days; however, I have been told that adjusting those settings can be abused and considered hacking. As with most things, it sounds like a gray area.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users