All 5-12 Man Groups Might Have To Play Cw In The Future?

Gameplay Social

19 replies to this topic

#1 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Feedback is being collected by the community on whether group queue should revert back to a 4-person cap. The idea is to ensure better matchmaking in the group queue, a goal that (in my humble opinion) is better served by improving the game and therefore attracting more players (although that's certainly the long-term goal). And PGI is listening.

I personally disagree with it, having come from a unit that wants to play together but isn't necessarily screaming-hardcore and doesn't want to be forced into making a dropdeck, 30-minute waits, and maps that are fewer and more heavily slanted than the regular maps. In other words, it's a major cap to casual teamplay and the ability to choose how you play with your friends - something that should never be hamstrung in online gaming.

I do understand the goal and respect the people pushing this idea, and I respect that I might be in the minority. But you should definitely bring your input to this no matter what side you're on.

#2 Pathos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

They'd better fix the frame rate issues involved in CW.

#3 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Its a hard call.

I think having a cut off as such

7 or more players can only vs 7 or more players. So 7,8,9,10,12 vs 7,8,9,10,12. Obviously with a smaller group placed in to fill the gap. But that system will be murder on the MM system.

Or you could use peeps in the PUG queue to fill in the gaps!

I dunno, its going to be difficult!

Edited by Akulla1980, 27 May 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#4 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

Oh great more dumb ideas.

How about PUB queue is grouped 4 or less, that way you can actually teach a friend without feeding him to the sharks.

The solo monkies will just have to deal.

#5 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 27 May 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

How about PUB queue is grouped 4 or less, that way you can actually teach a friend without feeding him to the sharks.

Im guessing you want to farm again.

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hmmm...

Oh dear... I think I like this.

It would mean you could show newer players the ropes in the group queues without the usual 'A WILD 12 MAN APPEARS - 12 MAN USES HUMILIATING STOMP. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE' shenanigans.

As long as CW gets fleshed out to make it more attractive to all players, i'm all for it.

#7 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

Groups of 2 should be allowed in the PUG queue since 2 people hardly sway a match of 24 often enough to warrant being stuck in group queue.

#8 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostAkulla1980, on 27 May 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Im guessing you want to farm again.

I play either in the solo queue grinding new mechs or in CW either solo or grouped, its pretty rare that you will find me in the group queue at all.

#9 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 27 May 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hmmm...

Oh dear... I think I like this.

It would mean you could show newer players the ropes in the group queues without the usual 'A WILD 12 MAN APPEARS - 12 MAN USES HUMILIATING STOMP. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE' shenanigans.

As long as CW gets fleshed out to make it more attractive to all players, i'm all for it.

Well, we're a long ways from that.

I fully admit the 12-man pugstomper groups are a problem, but a lot of less predatory 12-man groups would pay the price for this, too. CW is not at all a product to be confining people to right now (lower performance, bad design)

#10 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

I'm a solo pugger, Merc Unit of 1. I think this is a terrible idea. Still don't understand the irrational fear of units than can field 12 man teams. They follow the exact same talent curve that every player falls into. There is nothing amazing about but a few of them.

#11 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

How about making Solo queue into 'Merc Queue', allow solo and 2 player groups (maybe 3?) to pool in together, this would provide a larger queue pool for this game and still prevent major units from having large groups within the game. The biggest complaint I always hear is that 'bringing a friend into the game' without feeding them to the sharks in group queue and I feel this would help significantly.

Group queue remains the same, though will still have to include 2's as a way to fill the gap in 10 mans.

#12 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

I remember the days of yore when Groups were 2-4 and 8 (later to be 12).

On one hand I like the idea. Because, I have a group of four guys that I regularly team with on Thursday nights. We used to really enjoy playing MWO for a long time! But, then groups of 8s, 10s and 12s came in and would consistently stomp the heck out of us. It's hard to grow the group because we play other games and the four-man grouping dynamic works well and adding more disrupts that dynamic.
Getting away from the specter of the big group stomps might be what I need to get these guys playing again.

However, on the other hand- WE HAVE VOIP! Maybe if we used that damned thing from time to time we wouldn't get our butts kicked so hard in the group queue. Hell, it's what it's there for. Nut up and use it, or listen to it when others nut up and use it.

I dunno, as others have said- CW needs a lot pf work before you start forcing big groups to go there.

#13 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

If the group queue reverted to having a 4-person cap, I could see CI bringing back the Tuesday Night Scrambles to the NA Teamspeak server.

Bringing back that fun, weekly event would be awesome.

#14 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

The original idea was that groups of 2-4 would be placed into both queues, such that they were pulled into the Group bucket if they were needed to fill out a group there, or were pitched into the regular 'solo' queue if there was no pressing need for them elsewhere. This way the instances of small groups of casual buddies being flung into the teeth of rampaging 12-mans are heavily reduced in volume, while both sides get decent queue times and as fair a playing field as is reasonably possible for the widest number of players.

UNFORTUNATELY...a majority of solo players just cannot tolerate any level of possible coordination. I mean scheiss, those losers are still complaining weekly about "Evil Syncdropping Farmers" ruining their Glorious Solo Paradise. They have integrated VoIP so they can't even sass about that anymore, but the notion of dropping small groups into both buckets - which is clearly the best compromise between the needs of large units and the needs of the solo dropper - is still anathema to solos.

That's horseshit. I'm a solo and I say bring it the hell on. Give me your four-mans, I will fight the hell out of them in my solo-droppin' glory. And then I can show my buddies the ropes, or play a casual lance-action with my brother and my idiot redneck friend on the extremely rare days when both of those guys are on and not have to deal with fighting an SJR or 228th scrimmage team every third frickin' drop because screw-all nobody goes into the group queues except 12-mans, because nobody wants to deal with being the fodder comp teams hone their gunnery on. Trust me, I've tried and tried and tried. Idiot redneck friend is a hardcore Dark Souls player who's used to his games taking gigantic dumps on him, a self-admitted masochist who's at his happiest when his games absolutely hate him and do their best to break his mind and spirit, and ye know what?

He loved the challenge and said it reminded him a lot of trying to get into Dark Souls as a rookie back in the day. He also wondered how the hell I wasn't a Dark Souls guy if I'd spent so much time slamming my head against this bloody brick wall.

Cool for me, awesome for Maker. He'd be the first guy I've introduced to this game to stick with it for more than a month; the other three all said "f*** this s***" and took off practically before their cadet bonuses were done ticking up.

Are we really okay with this being what happens when we try and bring our friends into MWO?

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 27 May 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

They moved premade groups out of the public queue for a reason. They claimed they couldnt make groups larger than 4 so thats why they were synch dropping onto both teams and using team speak to fix matches. So a Premade only group queue was made. Keep them there.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 May 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

View Post1453 R, on 27 May 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

The original idea was that groups of 2-4 would be placed into both queues, such that they were pulled into the Group bucket if they were needed to fill out a group there, or were pitched into the regular 'solo' queue if there was no pressing need for them elsewhere. This way the instances of small groups of casual buddies being flung into the teeth of rampaging 12-mans are heavily reduced in volume, while both sides get decent queue times and as fair a playing field as is reasonably possible for the widest number of players.

UNFORTUNATELY...a majority of solo players just cannot tolerate any level of possible coordination. I mean scheiss, those losers are still complaining weekly about "Evil Syncdropping Farmers" ruining their Glorious Solo Paradise. They have integrated VoIP so they can't even sass about that anymore, but the notion of dropping small groups into both buckets - which is clearly the best compromise between the needs of large units and the needs of the solo dropper - is still anathema to solos.

That's horseshit. I'm a solo and I say bring it the hell on. Give me your four-mans, I will fight the hell out of them in my solo-droppin' glory. And then I can show my buddies the ropes, or play a casual lance-action with my brother and my idiot redneck friend on the extremely rare days when both of those guys are on and not have to deal with fighting an SJR or 228th scrimmage team every third frickin' drop because screw-all nobody goes into the group queues except 12-mans, because nobody wants to deal with being the fodder comp teams hone their gunnery on. Trust me, I've tried and tried and tried. Idiot redneck friend is a hardcore Dark Souls player who's used to his games taking gigantic dumps on him, a self-admitted masochist who's at his happiest when his games absolutely hate him and do their best to break his mind and spirit, and ye know what?

He loved the challenge and said it reminded him a lot of trying to get into Dark Souls as a rookie back in the day. He also wondered how the hell I wasn't a Dark Souls guy if I'd spent so much time slamming my head against this bloody brick wall.

Cool for me, awesome for Maker. He'd be the first guy I've introduced to this game to stick with it for more than a month; the other three all said "f*** this s***" and took off practically before their cadet bonuses were done ticking up.

Are we really okay with this being what happens when we try and bring our friends into MWO?

2 to 4 man groups are paying the bill for the large group queue. It couldnt work properly without the smaller groups. The large groups made it difficult to say no to making a seperate queue. If it had been left at 4 man groups then they would still be in the public queue. With the galaxy map addition maybe this is possible again. Or like someone else said allow 2 man groups in the public queue.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 May 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

They have to sort this out and make the hard call before Steam release.

And please split the ELO from group/solo.

#18 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

I dont mind

that being said, hope the number of players support this
especially with (maybe) regional servers

still
I believe new players should find themselves in 4vs4 as long as under 25 (or 50?) matches and then in the more bigger drops
since the old maps are getting a rework; keep them around and make them 4vs4 for new players

Edited by Peter2k, 28 May 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#19 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 27 May 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

Feedback is being collected by the community on whether group queue should revert back to a 4-person cap. The idea is to ensure better matchmaking in the group queue, a goal that (in my humble opinion) is better served by improving the game and therefore attracting more players (although that's certainly the long-term goal). And PGI is listening.

I personally disagree with it, having come from a unit that wants to play together but isn't necessarily screaming-hardcore and doesn't want to be forced into making a dropdeck, 30-minute waits, and maps that are fewer and more heavily slanted than the regular maps. In other words, it's a major cap to casual teamplay and the ability to choose how you play with your friends - something that should never be hamstrung in online gaming.

I do understand the goal and respect the people pushing this idea, and I respect that I might be in the minority. But you should definitely bring your input to this no matter what side you're on.

Thats why I suggested another way to do it so most Units can still play in large groups. http://mwomercs.com/...ue-for-balance/

#20 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:59 AM

Idiocy - yes, let's find a way to further split the player base and limit who we can play with.

If the Public queue caps out at 4 players per team and everyone else has to play CW, then we'll just have to tell that 5th friend, "sorry," and that'll just eventually lead to fewer people playing the game.

PGI needs to wake up and realize that the main reason nobody plays CW is because the game mode is generally terrible. You wait forever for a game, half of them are pointless rolls decided at match pairings - but you still get to waste 20+ minutes playing it out, and some of the maps are utterly horrible. Forcing people to play this crock of a game mode won't fix it, but it will drive people away from the game.

Edited by oldradagast, 28 May 2015 - 03:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users