38 replies to this topic

#1 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:28 AM

The possibility of APAC servers is being discussed/suggested/considered by Russ on Twitter.
Click the link to follow the conversation.

Update: Oceanic server is in the works. Russ is aiming for July.

Edited by andrewkhlim, 18 June 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#2 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

Russ is listening for noise from the APAC region/timezone, particularly from people who have left the game and would come back for local servers. If you know people like that, get them tweeting to Russ, or on the forums making their opinion known.

It needs to be profitable for them to do it. Please help them to prove that it will be.

#3 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

To be honest I am not that interested in local servers. I have been down this road before in many other games, and quite frankly, 99% of the time they fail. Population dries up, and due to being locked in server contracts (i assume), they take way too long to refold them back into the exsisting servers.

We generally do not have the population to sustain them. And when we do, you play against the same people everytime; it's also never as competitive as euro/US servers.

I feel for the people who have bad jitter. Alot of the time switching ISP's fixes problems (which generally means paying a little more). I also understand this wont help some, but they are a minority of a minority.

HSR is not perfect, but i remember playing without it. HSR has made major improvements to the playability and enjoyment of the game. I don't feel there is enough people in the player base as it is. I do not want it spilt further.

#4 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

Ghoppa,

As someone who has been around MWO since the very beginning I have to respectfully disagree about the worth of local or closer servers. If I could contact them I know a minimum of 150 people who would come back to this game almost straight away if they actually go through with it. IMO it would be the single biggest thing that PGI could do to bring Oceanic players back to the game. Yes there is or at least was a big enough player base to justify it.

Whilst I agree that splitting the player base even further is a very bad idea, I get the impression from what Russ has said on twitter and the town halls that the people who now host the servers for PGI have data centres all over the world already and it is a simple case of setting it up else where. ATM they are looking at Germany and Singapore. Russ has also hinted that we will be able to play on more than one server we will just need to set the priority of each. We then get a game on the most populated/available server at the time.

If it fails so be it but I think they really need to try.

#5 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

Hey Slide,

What you're saying is fair enough. While i haven't been here since the start, i did start playing an age ago in open beta. I have bought numerous packs (full phoenix, full clan wave 3, almost always play with premium time, and a bunch of other stuff) and support this game financially as well as just being another pilot. Just wanted to voice my opinion as i really enjoy playing this game.

If the method you describe is accurate then i guess there is minimal harm in them giving it a try.

I would be more in favour them selecting servers completely on the backend as part of matchmaking (ie: 30 people in same elo playing from AU quieing so 24 get put on local server together).

I am just completely against anything that fractures the playerbase. IMO it degrades the skill level, the game and overall player enjoyment.

Thanks for not flaming me like i expected to be lol ;)

#6 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:46 AM

Slide,
What's the Ping likely to be hitting Singapore instead of their NA server?

#7 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

I am hearing talk on the forums of around 100ms. That probably depends on where in Aus you are. I would expect Perth and WA to be better than the east coast but that might depend entirely on the routes the fiber optics take. Either way I will gladly take half the ping we now have.

One thing Russ mentioned in his tweets was that some of the east coast NA players might actually get better pings playing on the euro server, which I found very odd.

#8 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

A lot of it will depend on how the servers route the connection I suppose...

#9 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

The conversation I saw was around putting servers on west coast US, rather than Sydney, which makes more sense. Lots of Pac Rim connectivity lands there. Australian servers are just a dumb idea.

Singapore on the other hand makes much more sense. More central to the rest of Asia and not too far from .au and .nz. The kiwis lose out the most, but they should be used to that by now ;)

And GHoppa, I agree with you. If it's a one time change-over, "from now on you're playing in ..." kind of situation, there isn't the population in Aus/NZ to support it and not enough traction in Asia to keep it going. If it's a central MM with awareness of timezone/user preference/whatever, I will happily see how the other half lives and play with even a 100 ping rather than 300. For me, a Singapore data centre would give me between 60 and 80 (I'm in .wa.au) depending on where exactly it sits. Again, I've only seen the second option discussed.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:02 AM

I support Singapore for APAC regional server whole heartedly ! :D

#11 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostShinVector, on 31 May 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

I support Singapore for APAC regional server whole heartedly ! :D

I guess that will elevate you and me to god tier :)

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostMycrus, on 01 June 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

I guess that will elevate you and me to god tier :)

Would like to deal with less of this frustrating sCRAP..
Yes.. I would !

#13 Ash KA

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

View Postmr bear, on 30 May 2015 - 03:46 AM, said:

Slide,
What's the Ping likely to be hitting Singapore instead of their NA server?

I live halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and see the WoT server in Singapore at 120 to 130 ms so if you live in a capital i expect you would see about 100 ms

#14 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

View PostGHoppa, on 29 May 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

To be honest I am not that interested in local servers. I have been down this road before in many other games, and quite frankly, 99% of the time they fail. Population dries up, and due to being locked in server contracts (i assume), they take way too long to refold them back into the exsisting servers.

We generally do not have the population to sustain them. And when we do, you play against the same people everytime; it's also never as competitive as euro/US servers.

I feel for the people who have bad jitter. Alot of the time switching ISP's fixes problems (which generally means paying a little more). I also understand this wont help some, but they are a minority of a minority.

HSR is not perfect, but i remember playing without it. HSR has made major improvements to the playability and enjoyment of the game. I don't feel there is enough people in the player base as it is. I do not want it spilt further.

get them to make the servers in russia instead, you will get better latency and will face off against asian and east european players

#15 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:10 AM

Posted on twitter. I'd be back to any server closer than East coast US. I had to stop playing as my ping is constantly over 300. LA, San Fran, or anything even closer I'd be all over it. I've sunk more dough into this than any other game ever. Been around since open Beta. I'd say no point trying for a server in Aus. Too few of us. Bring in West US and/or Asia and it should be worth it. At least worth a try. I would spruik it.

#16 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:11 AM

View PostSelbatrim, on 03 June 2015 - 02:10 AM, said:

Posted on twitter. I'd be back to any server closer than East coast US. I had to stop playing as my ping is constantly over 300. LA, San Fran, or anything even closer I'd be all over it. I've sunk more dough into this than any other game ever. Been around since open Beta. I'd say no point trying for a server in Aus. Too few of us. Bring in West US and/or Asia and it should be worth it. At least worth a try. I would spruik it.

I believe there was talk of Singapore. But the conversation is old now, not sure what the result was.

#17 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 02 June 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

get them to make the servers in russia instead, you will get better latency and will face off against asian and east european players

I don't understand. Higher latency is better, it means it updates more times a second

#18 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostGHoppa, on 07 June 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

I don't understand. Higher latency is better, it means it updates more times a second

No. Latency is a measure of the round trip time, i.e. the amount of time it takes a packet to travel from your PC to *wherever* and back again. Lower is almost always better.

Maybe you're thinking of frequency? Just a guess.

#19 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

I was matching Mazzyplz' sarcasm ...... ;)

There is no way russia even has the internet, let alone technology for servers lol

Edited by GHoppa, 07 June 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#20 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Great, but can it be a choice of what server we use at logon, I don't want to be Playing bob at Cairns 70 times a night because we just don't have the player base, if we get the choice then yeah it would be fantastic. ATTAKHAN666

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users