OP is part of the player base.....

#22 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

I find complaints a bit moot for such experienced players.
  • If you're good enough, been around on MWO long enough, you know what solo pugging is always a mixed bag.
  • If the quality of the players go up, then the TTK goes down.
  • If you're that good, surely you can get a 12-man team together.
  • Match-maker will expect you to carry sometimes, it's not fair but what is.

#23 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

I didnt choose the Pug Life, the Pug Life chose me.

Steam release? Aw man its gonna be like new kids in the prison yard!!!

Posted Image

View PostBulletsponge0, on 30 May 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

Op claims the player base is incompetent

Logic...on these forums?
Da hell you smokin?

#24 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 30 May 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

It galls me when 'experienced' players rant about other players dying early, when those 'experienced' players simply don't contribute at the start of a match, or play extremely cautiously. Patience is absolutely a virtue, but without other players actively locating the enemy, cautious players wouldn't know where anything was to shoot at it. It just so happens that players on the front line of contact will usually be the first to die - yet their contribution is still invaluable.

I only complain about them dying early if I was not able to capitalize on their deaths, but you can consider that my fault for not making the most out of their noble sacrifice. :ph34r:

View PostInspectorG, on 30 May 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

Oh man, I am so taking out my pimped out mastered Direwhale when Steam releases and pad my KDR. I just hope they sorta fix laser HSR by then or I'll need a different build.

Edited by Elizander, 30 May 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

This game suffers from many, many crippling issues. The blatantly incompetent player base being one of them.

Game after game after game teams have a lance or more that are incapable of putting out 100 damage.

I guess this is a hard game? Dunno. But good god, there are so many terrible players.

Guess you have never been playing MOBA games.

View PostInspectorG, on 30 May 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

The amount of bitching about LRMs is going to drown out the GD. LRMs for Steam newbs is just like Master Yi in Bronze League of LoL.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 May 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#26 madhermit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Does it invalidate his argument though? OP can be just as bad as rest of the playerbase. Doesn't remove the fact how incompetent the playerbase is.

#27 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

OMFG#$%€*&@LongRangeErPulsePPC!

I'm part of teh playerbase too!

Of course, if I'm incompetent I should also not have much of a valid opinion...

I'm screwed...

#28 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 May 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

PUG LIFE

You know, you say that

but last night, there were at least 3 different 8 mans and 1 9 man that we were paired with or against at some point, where over half failed to do 100.

And the remaining PUGs were the only ones with respectable numbers. And that was jsut last night, as it seems to be happening almsot as much as getting the "useless pugs" everyone loves to hate on

That said, I had a lot of shite matches last night myself

EDIT:

so to answer the OP, there may be lots of "incompetent" (or new, or not so good at games, or w/e) players, but also there sure as hell are a lot of players who think they are better than they really are, and maybe shouldn't be slamming everyone else from that high mech-horse

Edited by cSand, 30 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

I agree with this. You can rack up 4 or 5 kills and still lose. Why? Because you can end up on a team where half the players just aren't good.

Win or lose, I call five kills a good game. Six or seven is even better.

Now if only I can get that elusive eight. :(

#30 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

it's legit to die with 30 damage only, happens to me more then ones.
turn wrong Connor, ECM platoon, being LRM to death.

when the whole team under preform then and only 1 a 2 people done more then 500 you can say you where a victim of ELO

#31 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

the MM algo doesn't make a lot of sense, and it mostly punishes everyone; primarily because there just isn't a large enough player base to provide matches at the speed and quantity that PGI seems to think they should come about. So, it basically tosses everything out in an attempt to balance things.

My favorite is when all the gate checks open and it basically takes a max Elo group and puts them up against whatever the next 12 unfortunate suckers were that queued up. It's such a huge waste of time. Sure, MM may make matches quickly for 75% of the player base, but most of them are not enjoyable.

I'd like to see an after-match survey (maybe that provided an XP/C-bill bonus) that randomly selected players in the previous match that said "did you enjoy that match?" and then mark down stats like "did they win" and "what was their Elo vs the min/max of their group and the enemy group"

Extra points if it attaches a heat map to see how the battle actually went.

Edited by Project_Mercy, 30 May 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#32 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

3 teammates dying within 2 minutes of the match starting...not disconnects....not the slow assaults left to die...just 3 players dying by being terrible.

Stomp the enemy team 12-3....enemy team has 5 players that can't crack 200 damage....3 of them can't crack 100.

The Steam release is going to exacerbate this even further.

The random deaths like this are to be expected. 3-6 players consistently unable to do anything significant is more than random bad luck. I'm sure you understand that. Maybe.

Have you sat in a clan war queue that wasn't during an event?
Have you tried to drop in solo queue with a heavy mech?

If we can alleviate these small issues I'll carry harder...

#33 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

View PostElizander, on 30 May 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I don't complain about them when they are on the other team though and they make me feel like a god on the battlefield. :ph34r:

Personally I think it gets boring seeing stomp after stomp, regardless of whether I'm on the winning or losing side. I was just recently trying to grind out my newly bought Stormcrows, and after noticing that so many of my wins didn't really feel well earned (because it turned into a stompfest where I just helped to finish some mechs off) I got pretty bored of playing. There were a few close games here and there or a game where I obviously kicked ass and helped a lot and those were pretty fun, but a lot of it was either stomping the enemy team or getting stomped and that happened more often than not. Noticing this trend (more than usual) in the short term is why I'm bored of the game again and long term is yet another reason why I don't play very much anymore.

View PostKiiyor, on 30 May 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Well, SOMEONE has to be the poor sap caught out in the open or on a flank at the start of a game.

Not everyone can be tucked away safely in the center of the death blob. There will always be players on the edges, that are looking to get eyes on the enemy and do some early damage. They are normally the ones that will be caught out if they stumble into more mechs than they can handle.

I'd say it's less about skill, and more about luck.

It galls me when 'experienced' players rant about other players dying early, when those 'experienced' players simply don't contribute at the start of a match, or play extremely cautiously. Patience is absolutely a virtue, but without other players actively locating the enemy, cautious players wouldn't know where anything was to shoot at it. It just so happens that players on the front line of contact will usually be the first to die - yet their contribution is still invaluable.

You can't judge someone's impact on battle by damage alone.

It's not that hard to look for the enemy and still be cautious enough to not get blasted to pieces immediately, and the times I have spotted the enemy with my face (which I have definitely done a fair number of times) and got shot up I still lived through it more often than not; I've even had more than a few games where I came back and kicked the enemy's ass after getting shot to bits right at the start.

Edited by Pjwned, 30 May 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#34 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

You're part of the player base, you know.

#35 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

200+ damage is half the armor the average 'Mech carries. If everyone did 200+ damage most games, you'd usually end them at 60-something % and there would almost never be 12-4 type matches.

It doesn't make the playerbase uniquely incompetent; most of the players on a losing team in Call of Duty have negative K/D ratios too. These kinds of score spreads are an expected artifact of the system.

Edited by Bleary, 30 May 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#36 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

I find that I get really good pairings late night US time and very poor pairings early morning US time. I think it has to do with the player pool size. You just get better pairings when more players are playing.

#37 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

[Toasts] Here's looking at you, dude.

Posted Image

[Proceeds to take a gulp of Old Grand Dad, than keels over.]

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

All I know is that the guys I hear complain most about bad teams and players....are almost always the guys who die first and then whinge the rest of the match.

The fact they are already dead? Well usually doesn't give them much of a bully pulpit to preach from. Like the Assault guy who went solo into the face of the enemy while the rest of the team nascar'd (I hate nascar, but not much point resisting it) and then complained that the bad pugs didn't support him.

Mind you, there ARE a lot of bad players. I just seem to see a lot of bad players in every game I play.

#39 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

I think the skill level is near an all time high these days. Might be my ELO though. It's pretty rare I have a match where the other 11 are sub 200. Had one yesterday and pretty much knew it from the start so I ranged to cover the bum rush. Had near 900 dmg and the next highest was 180. Three founders on my team too and many unit tags. Go figure. I assume the others were having a typical bad day rather than lack of skill.

#40 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

This game suffers from many, many crippling issues. The blatantly incompetent player base being one of them.

Game after game after game teams have a lance or more that are incapable of putting out 100 damage.

I guess this is a hard game? Dunno. But good god, there are so many terrible players.

A huge problem is the decreased time to kill introduced with the high alpha of clan mechs. During the poptarting meta, you got alphas of 30, although pinpoint but still 30.

Now you got alphas in the range of 40-60 or even higher and, in addition, ultra high DPS builds like Direwolf or King Crab boating >4 UACs. You have quirks that reduce the cooldown up to 50% or allow spamming alphas of lasers without heat problems.

If you not in a fast moving light or a light fast moving medium, once focused by more then 2 enemy mechs you going to die very fast. Even if you survive, you end up being scrap metal. So the tolerance of doing a mistake is much lower then before.

Another problem is the HSR and hit detection system. Often I notice that even though I torso twist at incoming damage, shots hit my center torso while twisted sidewards

And at last, It's not necessarily a fault of the player if he scores below 100, but of the whole team. Often you see fast teammates set throttle to max speed leave the slower assaults behind.

Edited by xe N on, 30 May 2015 - 11:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users