Mwo: The Least Competent Player Base

114 replies to this topic

#1 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

This game suffers from many, many crippling issues. The blatantly incompetent player base being one of them.

Game after game after game teams have a lance or more that are incapable of putting out 100 damage.

I guess this is a hard game? Dunno. But good god, there are so many terrible players.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

PUG LIFE

#3 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

I once got headshotted from halfway across the map, before I could even engage the enemy, doing a grand total of 0 damage.

Guess I'm just terrible, right?

#4 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

3 teammates dying within 2 minutes of the match starting...not disconnects....not the slow assaults left to die...just 3 players dying by being terrible.

Stomp the enemy team 12-3....enemy team has 5 players that can't crack 200 damage....3 of them can't crack 100.

The Steam release is going to exacerbate this even further.

View PostAlek Ituin, on 30 May 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

I once got headshotted from halfway across the map, before I could even engage the enemy, doing a grand total of 0 damage.

Guess I'm just terrible, right?

The random deaths like this are to be expected. 3-6 players consistently unable to do anything significant is more than random bad luck. I'm sure you understand that. Maybe.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

I don't complain about them when they are on the other team though and they make me feel like a god on the battlefield. :ph34r:

#6 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

The random deaths like this are to be expected. 3-6 players consistently unable to do anything significant is more than random bad luck. I'm sure you understand that. Maybe.

I was pointing out the fact that you didn't specify anything in the OP, you just said "players that don't crack 100 are bad" (more or less). So I put up an anecdote of being killed and doing 0 damage because of a lucky headshot.

Per your OP, that makes me bad.

Just saying, you might want to specify so you can focus that vitriol at the right people.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 30 May 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I was pointing out the fact that you didn't specify anything in the OP, you just said "players that don't crack 100 are bad" (more or less). So I put up an anecdote of being killed and doing 0 damage because of a lucky headshot.

Per your OP, that makes me bad.

Just saying, you might want to specify so you can focus that vitriol at the right people.

Well you know, if someone is good and there are so many bad players in the game, then if you have 4 scrubs on your team then just go kill the other 4 scrubs on the enemy team. :ph34r:

#8 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

This game suffers from many, many crippling issues. The blatantly incompetent player base being one of them.

Game after game after game teams have a lance or more that are incapable of putting out 100 damage.

I guess this is a hard game? Dunno. But good god, there are so many terrible players.

I believe you are incorrect in your assessment. Sometimes you can die and not do 100 damage (more common in light mechs or slower assaults....curse you viridian bog of stuck on some object). Everyone has those games, don't delude yourself.

#9 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

I've seen incompetent teams. I've seen them spread across the stars. And their realm, it is know as WoT.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

And thats exactly why 8v8 was better... in 8v8 you could compensate for bads by being good.

But in 12v12 theres just no way to compensate. Even the best players cant take on that many enemy mechs and win singlehandedly.

8v8 allowed for a certain degree of "hero" factor where exceptional players could cause an upset in the expected outcome of the match. That hero factor is greatly diminished or even non-existent in 12v12.

Edited by Khobai, 30 May 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#11 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Alek, you know exactly what the problem is...unless you're just trolling for an argument or are blissfully naive. The player base is not good at the game.

A player base that largely will not use consumables.

LRM boaters who don't bring TAG or put up UAV's.

Forest Colony arch campers. Ok, this is more to blame on terrible map design, but still, don't camp the ******* arch.

Terra Therma caldera stall team. Yeah, you know who you are.

#12 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Carry harder.

#13 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hardly the fault of the player base - the game is very different to the typical FPS background that new players have. I doubt that many of them are tank sim enthusiasts, which would probably be the nearest equivalent.

The need for high quality training modules is pretty evident at the moment. That being said, was there a purpose to this thread other than to bash new players for being bad? Every good player started somewhere after all...

#14 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

View PostKhobai, on 30 May 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

And thats exactly why 8v8 was better... in 8v8 you could compensate for bads by being good.

But in 12v12 theres just no way to compensate. Even the best players cant take on that many enemy mechs and win singlehandedly.

8v8 allowed for a certain degree of "hero" factor where exceptional players could cause an upset in the expected outcome of the match. That hero factor is greatly diminished or even non-existent in 12v12.

I agree with this. You can rack up 4 or 5 kills and still lose. Why? Because you can end up on a team where half the players just aren't good.

View PostSir Wulfrick, on 30 May 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Hardly the fault of the player base - the game is very different to the typical FPS background that new players have. I doubt that many of them are tank sim enthusiasts, which would probably be the nearest equivalent.

The need for high quality training modules is pretty evident at the moment. That being said, was there a purpose to this thread other than to bash new players for being bad? Every good player started somewhere after all...

I can't accept that only new players are bad.

That argument leads to either a huge pool of veteran competent players...you know this doesn't exist. Or good players bail out once they get good. Maybe because they tire of watching 4 teammates shoot each other in the back or run off solo and die before the game clock hits 14:30?

#15 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:54 PM, said:

Alek, you know exactly what the problem is...unless you're just trolling for an argument or are blissfully naive. The player base is not good at the game.

A player base that largely will not use consumables.

LRM boaters who don't bring TAG or put up UAV's.

Forest Colony arch campers. Ok, this is more to blame on terrible map design, but still, don't camp the ******* arch.

Terra Therma caldera stall team. Yeah, you know who you are.

For consumeables specifically, that's not the player's fault. You either use consumeables or make enough cbills to buy mechs, you can't have both without premium time or heroes.

#16 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

But good god, there are so many terrible players.

Not all pug players are bad...

But many professional blame layers in...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻PUG LYFE━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)
Life of the Terri-pug.

Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Whine in chat about how the team should have carried them harder. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how LRM's are noskill n00btube weapons because they died to them. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how Laser Vomit are noskill weapons because they died to them. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how their Laser Vomit build overheats getting them killed. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how Clan mechs are OP'd after dying in an IS mech. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how IS quirks are too strong after dying in a Clan mech. Repeat.
Live. Win. Angry quips about how the lowest scorer was worthless and should uninstall. Repeat.

#17 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

And how many of the enemy team are scrubs who you killed in order to feel superior?

Do you realize that if the matchmaking truly worked and everyone was perfectly equal skill that in most cases you would get zero to two kills and average around 200?

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

last night i was playing to get my kickers, also leveling up the 10 clan mechs i bought during the sale. when i got to the last 2 points i must have hit the horrible part of my elo swing. i got stuck with team after team of know nothing noobs. scatter and die type games. upon noticing this i went lone wolf and went hunting down for the straglers on the other team. i was able to get stomps to at least qualify and one of them i was the only player who got more than 20 points. i will be playing cw this weekend.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 May 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 May 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

last night i was playing to get my kickers, also leveling up the 10 clan mechs i bought during the sale. when i got to the last 2 points i must have hit the horrible part of my elo swing. i got stuck with team after team of know nothing noobs. scatter and die type games. upon noticing this i went lone wolf and went hunting down for the straglers on the other team. i was able to get stomps to at least qualify and one of them i was the only player who got more than 20 points. i will be playing cw this weekend.

When ELO gives you that team then yes, go for stat padding solo and to hell with the rest of them. :lol:

#20 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Well, SOMEONE has to be the poor sap caught out in the open or on a flank at the start of a game.

Not everyone can be tucked away safely in the center of the death blob. There will always be players on the edges, that are looking to get eyes on the enemy and do some early damage. They are normally the ones that will be caught out if they stumble into more mechs than they can handle.

I'd say it's less about skill, and more about luck.

It galls me when 'experienced' players rant about other players dying early, when those 'experienced' players simply don't contribute at the start of a match, or play extremely cautiously. Patience is absolutely a virtue, but without other players actively locating the enemy, cautious players wouldn't know where anything was to shoot at it. It just so happens that players on the front line of contact will usually be the first to die - yet their contribution is still invaluable.

You can't judge someone's impact on battle by damage alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users